Image.thumb.jpeg.7ed7b2be264893cafcc2eae7ffda36fc.jpeg

• Haha 3

1st of all this will probably have the oppposite effect they hope it has

2nd. Glove puppets don't have strings :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Remember when the Tories were claiming Starmer having a day off from campaigning meant he was too old to be Prime Minister? Well, while still campaigning, guess who is the only party leader hiding from the press today? It won't take you long... :rolleyes:

I actually watched Thursday's D-Day ceremony on BBC1 this morning, as I was at work and missed it. Very moving, clearly a massive international effort and a real sense of fraternity between the different countries and troops. How on earth Sunak ever came the decision (general election or not, and it was "not" when he made the decision apparently) that it would be ok to skip the international ceremony because he'd attended the UK ceremony is beyond me. The whole point of D-Day was that it was a full-scale Allied invasion. Brits, Canadians, Americans, French and Polish, not to mention Australians and New Zealanders and others were involved in the Normandy landings. It was the very definition of international cooperation in the face of a common enemy. Sunak came in, did a little reading, spent a bit of time talking to the veterans and buggered off. He embarrassed us on the world stage on the last significant anniversary the D-Day veterans will see. Bravo Prime Minister. Thankfully, you won't be around for the next one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

1st of all this will probably have the oppposite effect they hope it has

2nd. Glove puppets don't have strings :facepalm:

Are these the same unions who refused to endorse the Labour manifesto yesterday? :facepalm: Another day, another Tory cock-up. Omnishambles anyone?

Also - do they have any evidence that this line of attack is working? Is Angela Rayner seen as unhinged and dangerous among the wider public? As far as I can see she's seen as the voice of working Labour, has a down-to-earth background and story and is a strong voice in the modern Labour movement. Just a modern day John Prescott of sorts. She's more left wing than Starmer, but she's supportive of Labour winning the election. Everything they do to try and discredit her just seems desperate.

• Like 1

When are the manifestoes coming out?

6 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

When are the manifestoes coming out?

This week. I'm sure Newscast said Tories on Tuesday and Labour on Thursday. No idea on Lib Dems and Reform. Greens have already launched theirs I think..?

• Like 1

Sunak has gone to County Durham today.

Maybe he's doing the Dominic Cummings trail of shame round Barnard Castle?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sunak has gone to County Durham today.

Maybe he's doing the Dominic Cummings trail of shame round Barnard Castle?

Would be appropriate if he did visit that place, it was where it all started to go horribly wrong for the government.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, En Passant said:

I'm still sitting in a small puddle of shock that he came top of my policy quiz. Perhaps I shouldn't be.

Nah nah, Binface is a political force to be reckoned with!

Having said that, he's been removed entirely from my results on that quiz when I looked just now. I'm outraged; I was about 90% in agreement with him! #Justice4Binface

As mentioned previously re Huntingdon, but this launch at Basingstoke points to a similar picture. A 26% Conservative majority in 2019, and now it has a launch featuring the Shadow Chancellor and Harriet Harman.

Meanwhile the PM spent more time in his own constituency today.

Expecting a couple of polls to drop tonight for the Sunday papers, could this be the inflection point? Seems plausible given PM scrubbed scheduled media rounds for this afternoon.

3 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

As mentioned previously re Huntingdon, but this launch at Basingstoke points to a similar picture. A 26% Conservative majority in 2019, and now it has a launch featuring the Shadow Chancellor and Harriet Harman. 

The Tories are in real trouble, meanwhile the PM spent more time in his own constituency today. 

Yes, I saw that. Things so desperate he needs to show his face, or hoping to spend some time with some slightly friendlier faces as the local MP? Sounds like it was very heavily controlled. A Labour supporting GP got a couple of NHS questions in but a woman asking about child deaths in Gaza was ushered away. 

21 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Meanwhile the PM spent more time in his own constituency today.

Expecting a couple of polls to drop tonight for the Sunday papers, could this be the inflection point? Seems plausible given PM scrubbed scheduled media rounds for this afternoon.

I’d be amazed if the Tories lose Hutingdon but Basingstoke is less surprising as Labour got close in 1997 and very close in 2001 and there is a feeling Labour will do well in the Home Counties seats they targeting. 

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

The whole point of D-Day was that it was a full-scale Allied invasion. Brits, Canadians, Americans, French and Polish, not to mention Australians and New Zealanders and others were involved in the Normandy landings. It was the very definition of international cooperation in the face of a common enemy.

Absolutely.   To the point that on the 40th anniversary my Mum was annoyed that the Russians weren't represented.

"But they weren't involved in the Normandy landings," I pointed out.

"But they were our allies!"  she protested. "They should have been invited".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Absolutely.   To the point that on the 40th anniversary my Mum was annoyed that the Russians weren't represented.

"But they weren't involved in the Normandy landings," I pointed out.

"But they were our allies!"  she protested. "They should have been invited".

And so they then were, until Putin decided to do his best Hitler tribute act. I realised today that it never occurred to me the other day how symbolic the photo of Cameron, Macron, Scholtz and Biden was. The German Chancellor is actually representing the enemy on D-Day. The transformation in European relations since 1945 is astonishing. We cannot let the nationalist fervour sweeping Europe take over. It is a tragedy that Russia is being brainwashed back into a Cold War mentality.

• Like 5

Daily Mail has details of their Sunday poll via Deltapoll. Tories reduced to 39 seats, with a certain Richmond and Northallerton swinging Labour.

Ah well then, RIP the Portillo Moment.

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Ah well then, RIP the Portillo Moment.

Sunak would obviously be the biggest scalp but I'd relish Truss, Braverman and Patel more. Oh, be still my beating heart. They'll end up with 150. I'll guarantee you...

• Like 1

These polls are starting to worry me. Are they going to put people off tactical voting, thinking it's such a foregone conclusion that they don't need to?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

These polls are starting to worry me. Are they going to put people off tactical voting, thinking it's such a foregone conclusion that they don't need to?

Michael Portillo thinks the polling in 1997 actually encouraged tactical voting because people felt they could actually vote out the local Tory...like him!

• Like 4

I reckon the Labour Party could seal the deal if they put electoral reform in their manifesto.

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Michael Portillo thinks the polling in 1997 actually encouraged tactical voting because people felt they could actually vote out the local Tory...like him!

Good point. And to add to that, polls that are monumentally disastrous for the Tories (i.e. third place/Canada 1993 scenarios) might help as, if it becomes a genuine possibility that a governing party as damaging to the country as this one can be actually killed to death, of course people (or at least 80% of them) want to be part of that!