RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

De Zerbi to leave Brighton after last game tomorrow. Points galore coming in the next round-up, and another one chalked up for Great Uncle Bulgaria...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

De Zerbi to leave Brighton after last game tomorrow. Points galore coming in the next round-up, and another one chalked up for Great Uncle Bulgaria...

Hmm. Did not expect that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Hmm. Did not expect that!

Think he's concerned about their level of ambition. And there's some big jobs still available this summer. Mutual consent, so clearly been decided it's best for both parties.

180 on his previous comments about the Bayern job? Or a realisation that neither Barcelona nor AC Milan would pay the fee to get him out of his contract and he wants to make it easier for one of those two?

Thinking about it, it's maybe not that much of a surprise. He was linked with other jobs and this season hasn't been stellar.

Interesting question is who will take over Brighton? Another up-and-comer or a more tried and trusted manager?

I like 16/1 as value on Sebastian Hoeneß, but Kieran McKenna's favourite for a reason.

• Like 1

I saw a suggestion he might fancy the Juventus job? Also saw a suggestion for Potter's return...?

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm so annoyed. I put him as my sub.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Interesting question is who will take over Brighton? Another up-and-comer or a more tried and trusted manager?

The return of Graham Potter?

On 18/05/2024 at 16:38, Spade_Cooley said:

Barcelona nor AC Milan would pay the fee to get him out of his contract and he wants to make it easier for one of those two?

The second half of Brighton's season doesn't scream 'superstar manager' who is going to walk into one of those jobs, even accepting that they overachieved massively last season and did pretty well for the first part of this season having had to sell their two best players (albeit at a ridiculous price for Caicedo)..

On 18/05/2024 at 23:01, ladyfiona said:

I'm so annoyed. I put him as my sub.

Getting competitive now are we? Not bad considering you didn't have an idea who any of these people were when the game started! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Pochettino leaves Chelsea according to The Telegraph

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, wannamaker said:

Pochettino leaves Chelsea according to The Telegraph

Have we come full circle? Tuchel back to Stamford Bridge? What a mad time to do it, he'd finally got them playing decent football, finished the season strongly, secured European football (which looked unlikely at Christmas) and now it's back to square 1. :facepalm:

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 21:52, Sly Ronnie said:

Lopetegui gone...

Dis gona b fun.

Lopetegui confirmed as manager of West Ham.

Rumours abound that Ten Hag will get the tin tack after the FA Cup final tomorrow, regardless of the outcome.

Ok, time for a bumper end-of-season round-up (and we may not yet be finished as I'll get to!). I've got 11 (ELEVEN) scoring hits to mention, plus another 4 changes that don't affect us.

One that passed us by (sort of): Buxton's Craig Elliott announced in March that he was going to leave at the end of the season. https://www.buxtonfc.co.uk/post/club-statement-2 Their season ended in April I believe - he has now been replaced. @diego chose him, so that's a hit!

On May 2nd, Jimmy Dean (not that one) was relieved of his responsibilities at Scunthorpe United (currently of the National League North). https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-sports-legend-has-left-scunthorpe-united-and-been-replaced-by-a-former-peterborough-united-coach-4614753 Despite being favourites for promotion, Scunthorpe finished second, 8 points off the champions and then lost on penalties in the play-off semi final to Boston United. This is a hit for @maryportfuncity!

A day later, on May 3rd, Mel Gwinnett was relieved of his duties at Hampton & Richmond FC, following their failure to reach the National League South play-offs. https://hamrichfc.com/blogs/news/club-statement-mel-gwinnett This gave @Great Uncle Bulgaria another hit, extending his lead!

On May 7th, following the conclusion of the Championship season, Hull City nonsensically sacked Leon Rosenior, having just failed to make the Championship play-offs with the youngest squad in the league, who were nowhere last season. Plus ca change. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cz7420r56d4o This was a last-minute inclusion for @Sly Ronnie, and moves him back to 2 behind GUB.

Then, on May 13th, following their relegation from Scottish League One, Stirling Albion dispensed with Darren Young. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cljddnr8r93o This was another hit for @diego!

Now to a sizeable one, and, having lost in comprehensive fashion to Leeds United in their play-off semi-final, Norwich wasted no time in putting David Wagner out of his misery. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpvg3kz91ngo Wagner was under immense pressure earlier in the season, and looked on the verge of the sack after an abysmal 3-1 home defeat to Blackburn in November, but that was their final home defeat of the campaign and they finished 5th in the table, saving his bacon - temporarily. This provides a hit for me (@RoverAndOut), @BuffaloPhil and @MariNisia

The end of the Premier League season saw a number of pre-announced goodbyes. Jurgen Klopp announced months ago of his intention to leave Liverpool at the end of the season and did so with something of a whimper having only won the League Cup out of 4 trophies on offer when he made his announcement. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cw447e22erlo Finally, points are awarded to @ladyfiona and @Commtech Sio Bibble, their first hits of this round.

After a fairly ungrateful reaction from the fans to delivering a European trophy last season, David Moyes agreed to terminate his relationship with West Ham at the end of the season, having delivered top half finishes every season. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c90z7w94wy4o He has been replaced by Julen Lopetegui, who quit Wolves at the start of the season. @MariNisia and @Sly Ronnie saw this coming, and both earn a hit.

And on the eve of the final day, somewhat surprisingly, Roberto de Zerbi announced his intention to leave Brighton. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cjeed3g258eo Seemingly, he wants them to be more ambitious and has decided he wants a bigger challenge. It may yet pay off, with other jobs becoming available, although their season somewhat petered out taking the shine off his earlier work. Only @Great Uncle Bulgaria had de Zerbi, so it's another point for our resident Womble!

And, after just 4 changes during the season, the Premier League exits doubled post-season, with the 8th being another surprise, as Mauricio Pochettino was relieved of his duties at Chelsea, just as it seemed like they were making progress. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c1ww8xw8nywo They lost the League Cup final to Klopp's Kids and somehow he managed to get them European football next season (despite the FA Cup result) when for much of the season a top half finish seemed unlikely. Who knows who ends up there next. This was a big one, though, with first points of the round for @Bibliogryphon and @wannamaker and second hits for @Commtech Sio Bibble and @BuffaloPhil.

Last, but not least, following a review at the end of the season having failed to reach the League Two play-offs after failing to win 5 of their last 7 games, Barrow and Pete Wild agreed to part company. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cjqq948vpv5o This was another hit for @BuffaloPhil and @maryportfuncity.

And we may not be done yet! It's looking like Vincent Kompany is going to join Bayern Munich (which would be a hit for 3 teams), has the FA Cup triumph saved Eric ten Hag at Man United? (Although he wasn't picked in this game!), Enzo Maresca (3 teams) is disillusioned at Leicester, Ipswich's Kieran McKenna (3 teams) is in hot demand by the Premier League, Daniel Farke (5 teams) was rumoured for the chop if Leeds lost the play-off final (which they did), could Ian Evatt (3 teams) pay the price for Bolton's anaemic performance in the League One play-off final and will any of the successful promotion-winning managers get poached by a bigger fish? With jobs still up for grabs at Brighton and Chelsea, probably Burnley and maybe Manchester United, who else may be on the move? (I know Thomas Frank's name has been mentioned - 2 teams).

Ineligible - Andre Breitenreiter (Huddersfield) has become the third manager to leave Huddersfield following their relegation from the Championship. Fellow relegated team Birmingham have seen Tony Mowbray step down following ill health (their third change of the season too). Nick Montgomery was sacked at Hibernian after a disappointing end to the season - he replaced Lee Johnson in August, and Darrell Clarke was poached by Barnsley from Cheltenham Town, who just missed out on preventing relegation from League One, after he joined them without a win or goal in their first 10 games.

In summary: that's 3 hits for Buffalo Phil, 2 apiece for Great Uncle Bulgaria, Sly Ronnie, Diego, MariNisia, Maryport AND Commtech Sio Bibble and a hit apiece for Lady Fiona, RoverAndOut, Bibliogryphon and Wannamaker.

Updated Scoreboard

Great Uncle Bulgaria - 15

Sly Ronnie - 13

Wannamaker, Rover and Out - 11

Lady Fiona, Bibliogryphon, Diego, Maryportfuncity - 10

MariNisia, Buffalo Phil - 9

Commtech Sio Bibble - 8

GUB is three-quarters of the way there now - his remaining picks are Big Ange at Tottenham, Daniel Farke (Leeds) and Russell Martin (Southampton), Ian Evatt (Bolton) and Ruben Selles (Reading). I wouldn't say it's beyond the realms of possibility that all 5 of those could be gone before the end of the year. Or, they could all still be in post. We'll see!

As usual, let me know if I've made any mistakes - more than likely given the size of the update!

• Thanks 8

I have 14 hits. Six left on the chopping block..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I have 14 hits. Six left on the chopping block..

Don't know why I keep downplaying your performance, Ronnie! And you're not the only one: I've counted up each score individually and discovered @BuffaloPhil has hit double figures too, and is in the now 5-way scrum at 10.

Updated Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie - 14

Wannamaker, Rover and Out - 11

Lady Fiona, Bibliogryphon, Diego, Maryportfuncity, Buffalo Phil - 10

MariNisia - 9

Commtech Sio Bibble - 8

As Ronnie is only 1 behind GUB, a look at his contenders to complete: Andoni Iraola (Bournemouth), Sean Dyche (Everton), Rob Edwards (Luton), Carlos Corberan (West Brom), Paul Warne (Derby), Darren Ferguson (Peterborough).

Iraola had a surprisingly good first season, Dyche kept Everton up but isn't very exciting, Edwards is a hero at Luton - could he be poached? Corberan needs to start next season well otherwise I think West Brom will dispense with his services. Derby will be ruthless if Warne is struggling I suspect and Darren Ferguson must be reaching his annual shelf life at Peterborough before he disappears for a year and returns again! 

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Carlos Corberan (West Brom)

A name I have seen linked to the potential vacancy at Leicester if Maresca goes to Chelsea

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

A name I have seen linked to the potential vacancy at Leicester if Maresca goes to Chelsea

That feels risky. I know he's highly thought of, a disciple of Bielsa if I remember rightly, but his results at Huddersfield and West Brom, while decent, have hardly set the world alight. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

That feels risky. I know he's highly thought of, a disciple of Bielsa if I remember rightly, but his results at Huddersfield and West Brom, while decent, have hardly set the world alight. 

I am not sure what options are available.

West Brom has a pretty solid season where three teams dominated and all scored over 90 points. His team were sat in fifth position for nearly half the season. However a good championship manager will have a different set of challenges in the Premier League. McKenna at Ipswich is a local hero and like Edwards at Luton has a lot of good will in the bank so I can see why he has stayed put.

Clearly Maresca was not happy about being kept in the dark by the owner about the FFP investigation and knows that he will have limited options to improve his squad. However, whilst he thinks he has what it takes to make it at Chelsea you have to remember that he almost squandered a double digit lead in the closing third of the season. I can see him being out on his ear from Stamford Bridge early in 2025. Whereas keeping Leicester in the PL would have been a realistic goal and then he could move on.

• Like 2

I mean Chelsea are replacing someone who had 1 defeat in his last 15 Premier League games with someone who had 7 defeats in his last 15 Championship games (despite having the most valuable squad ever seen in that league.) What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 3

Kompany to Bayern Munich has been confirmed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cl7725g1xjdo

Points for @wannamaker, @diego and @Commtech Sio Bibble, which means nobody is on their own at the back and we're 2 scores away from everybody reaching 50%! Wannamaker now 3 off the lead.

Updated Scoreboard

Sly Ronnie - 14

Wannamaker - 12

Diego, Rover and Out - 11

Lady Fiona, Bibliogryphon, Maryportfuncity, Buffalo Phil - 10

MariNisia, Commtech Sio Bibble - 9

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Kompany to Bayern Munich has been confirmed

Don't get this one at all. How does finishing 2nd bottom of and getting relegated from the PL (even finishing below Luton who had a far worse squad) qualify you for one of the biggest jobs in European club football?

• Like 2