Sign in to follow this  
Toast

What are you drinking?

Old Peculier, again!

Drinking a Vancouver

Gin, Benedictine, Martini Dry and Rosso, orange bitters

Really nice. I may try this again with just dry vermouth, and again with just the rosso.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Drinking a Vancouver

Gin, Benedictine, Martini Dry and Rosso, orange bitters

Really nice. I may try this again with just dry vermouth, and again with just the rosso.

What gin is your go-to for generic 'gin' cocktails?

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

What gin is your go-to for generic 'gin' cocktails?

Whatever I've got.  Currently it's Greenall's, not sure where it came from.  May have been a present, or a raffle prize. :D

That cocktail packs a punch, btw.  I made another using just the Martini Rosso, and definitely knew I''d had a drink :lol:

• Like 1

Something like a Golden Retriever and it's really delicious.

Rum, Chartreuse*, Licor 43 and chilled water.

* "or alternative herbal liqueur".  Chartreuse is as rare as rocking horse shit these days, so I used Benedictine.

I didn't have gold rum either, so I used Lamb's.  It still came out a golden colour.

• Like 1

Knights of the Garter golden ale at The Perfectionists’ Café. Not the cheapest pint but bleedin’ delish.

• Facepalm 1

On 14/01/2024 at 20:58, Toast said:

Something like a Golden Retriever and it's really delicious.

Rum, Chartreuse*, Licor 43 and chilled water.

* "or alternative herbal liqueur".  Chartreuse is as rare as rocking horse shit these days, so I used Benedictine.

I didn't have gold rum either, so I used Lamb's.  It still came out a golden colour.

Chartreuse comes from my hometown ! It is said that only to priest of the Chartreuse order have the recipe and they are the 2 only priest Who can talk in order to control its production in some factory nearby. It’s fascinating how the liquor is fancy these days. Apparently the americans are mad about it since it appeared in some Tarantino movie. I tried to buy a bottle for new year’s Eve and every supermarket I went to were out of stock cause the Pères Chartreux refuse to increase their production. 
they plan to open a dedicated shop for Chartreuse in Paris for the Olympic Games this year and since they control so tediously the number of bottle produced, it explains the rarity. 

don’t know if you ever ran into these, but they also produce chartreuse candies which are Absolutely amazing. My grandfather is crazy about it. 

• Like 2

Watched this documentary on the history of bourbon the other day, perfectly enjoyable way to whittle away 90 minutes, and now I want to get a nice wanky bottle of bourbon to drink. Any recommendations easily available in the UK? Just go Four Roses?

Afraid I can’t help on the bourbon front, but inside these barrels in this lovely cave in Gibbston is possibly the lushest Pinot Noir in the world.

IMG_8927.thumb.jpeg.314855025a56bce131608bcd3867b6c8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

My Nan is spending the night in hospital, so she asked me to house-sit for the night, she left me a box of chocolates and a full bottle of prosecco. I finished the chocolates hours ago and I've just finished the drink, whilst it's not bad it is certainly not something I'd choose.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

My Nan is spending the night in hospital, so she asked me to house-sit for the night, she left me a box of chocolates and a full bottle of prosecco. I finished the chocolates hours ago and I've just finished the drink, whilst it's not bad it is certainly not something I'd choose.

A toast to her speedy recovery!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Some banging cocktails at Ferg's Bar in Queenstown.

KawaKawa Sour

KawaKawa Liqueur (looked this up; it's from the pepper family, but basically a botanical vodka would do fine), dry gin, honey, grapefruit juice, lemon, egg white, peppercorns

Tomillo Ilegal

Mezcal, Chartreuse, Benedictine, lemon juice, grapefruit juice, thyme

Peach Perfect

Vodka, sake, peach liqueur, elderflower, peach puree, bitters, prosecco

Orange Passion

Blood orange gin, Chinola, Grand Marnier, lemon juice, orange bitters, sherbet rim (oooh)

And teetotal OH had...

Mos-no Mule

Seedlip 94 spice, ginger beer, lime juice, mint

Pineapple Spritz (x3)

Blended pineapple, brown sugar, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, soda, lemonade

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Apparently it was Margarita Day, so I tried these.

Italian Margarita

Tequila, amaretto, triple sec, lime juice

It was OK, bu the amaretto didn't come through as much as I would have liked.

Napoléon Margarita

Tequila, Mandarine Napoléon. lime juice, syrup, bitters

I liked this better, the mandarine complemented the lime very well.  I didn't have the specified bitters or agave syrup so made do with plain sugar syrup and Peychaud's bitters.

• Like 1

Just had a

Negroni

Gin, Campari, Martini Rosso

I knew this would be a bit too far on the bitter side for me, but with plenty of ice in the glass and a good stir, plus a couple of fresh mandarin segments thrown in, it was very pleasant.

• Like 1

Bit late to report this but had a couple of beers with a mate last night and - it being St Patrick's Day - I opted for Guinness

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bit late to report this but had a couple of beers with a mate last night and - it being St Patrick's Day - I opted for Guinness

Having been decidedly unwell for a while and consequently no appetite for booze, rather fortunately I had recovered enough yesterday to (over) indulge in the black stuff myself. First decent drink in 6 weeks.

• Like 1

Not had any booze since I got back from holiday but here's a thing: Guinness Zero is bloody good.

• Like 1

Romanian ginger and apple cider, I had 3, thumbs up. British Army lads in the hostel want me to go out on the lash, but I need to catch a train tomorrow morning and don't trust myself to get up on time.

PXL_20240402_183628703.thumb.jpg.998ad2e42c04adee2937d61a88953939.jpg

• Like 2

In Sofia on the last day of my 900km train adventure. About to deal with Ryanair and Storm Kathleen, so I think I deserve a passion fruit mojito at 12pm.

PXL_20240407_093353132.thumb.jpg.3e167d5c08ceee96831864bc1ba4b3c5.jpg

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 00:09, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I'm house sitting for my Nan again and this time she's left me a bottle of champagne and a roast beef dinner. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've actually had champagne and I don't get what the big deal is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I'm house sitting for my Nan again and this time she's left me a bottle of champagne and a roast beef dinner. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've actually had champagne and I don't get what the big deal is.

I can, as a wine wanker, confirm that you can get a better sparkling wine from Kent (for about 20 quid) than you can from the Champagne region.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

Champagne region

This sort of protectionism gets right up my nose. See also "Prosecco" "Parmesan" "Feta" etc etc. It's simply a licence to rip the customer off and prevent competition. For once I agree with an American perspective on these Geographic Indicators.

Whatever happened to Cava?  That used to be all the rage.  All these sparklies taste much the same to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

Whatever happened to Cava?  That used to be all the rage.  All these sparklies taste much the same to me.

There's a Cava on Naked Wines that's really rather nice. I used to get it fairly often. That's better than most champagnes, too.