gcreptile

Mitch McConnell

Thread for former US Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell, now 81 years old:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_McConnell

Lately, he's been freezing in front of cameras and just today, it happened again:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/30/mitch-mcconnell-freezes-struggles-to-speak-in-second-incident-this-summer.html

He also suffered a fall last year, and had a suspiciously swollen and reddish hand.

There might be all kinds of blood circulation issues, maybe a series of mini-strokes.

Seems like he might beat Dianne Feinstein to the punch. He's also a little more notable than her, having presided over the Senate for six years, and being responsible for changing the Supreme Court, by blocking Obama's judges, and basically inventing the 60-seat filibuster, meaning, if you want to get something done in the Senate, you need 60 votes now.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Here's the new video, he somehow looks older than 81, kind of like on his deathbed, only standing up:

Most of the States in the USA, when a Senator resigns or dies in office, have the replacement named by the Governor.   KY changed the rules for their state.  The Democratic Governor can not name the replacement; therefore, the replacement (presuming Mitch does not serve out his term) will be Republican.

Why does this matter?   The party that holds the majority (and the US Senate is without going into the detail re: the independents) are essentially Democratic by one seat.   The Majority vs the Minority is a huge deal.  HUGE.  (corrected my earlier error re: the majority party)

• Like 1

This all seems very sudden, excluding his fall last year (which is something that can happen to anyone regardless of health), up until last month there really wasn't any major red flags for him health wise. As much as I dislike the man seeing him go from a strong, albeit, boring speaker to this in a matter of months is quite upsetting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

Most of the States in the USA, when a Senator resigns or dies in office, have the replacement named by the Governor.   KY changed the rules for their state.  The Democratic Governor can not name the replacement; therefore, the replacement (presuming Mitch does not serve out his term) will be Republican.

Why does this matter?   The party that holds the majority (and the US Senate is without going into the detail re: the independents) are essentially Republican by one seat.   The Majority vs the Minority is a huge deal.  HUGE.

They really should make a deal that sees Feinstein and McConnell off together. It's a bit like a prisoner's dilemma.

36 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Here's the new video, he somehow looks older than 81, kind of like on his deathbed, only standing up:

Judging on that video, I think it's 50/50 if he'll be alive this time next year. The part where he freezes, his eyes widen and slightly roll into an unnatural position reminds me of that video from a decade ago of an Indian local celeb dying on live TV from a stroke/heart attack, can't remember the name right now. 

Edit: MN Vijayan, Malayam academic.

• Like 2

I'm sure, at some point, America will realise that politicians don't need to be two-hundred-and-forty-fifteen years old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

I'm sure, at some point, America will realise that politicians don't need to be two-hundred-and-forty-fifteen years old.

At least they don't have a second chamber that's appointments are partially made on who's uterus you happened to be expelled from.

• Like 3

His father in law, James S C Chao, is notable in his own right & 96 in December 

• Like 3

Why on earth is he still senate minority leader?He is clearly out of it.There are quite a few senators that belong in a nursing home.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Why on earth is he still senate minority leader?He is clearly out of it.There are quite a few senators that belong in a nursing home.

It's easier to get the British monarchy to abdicate than to get a US Senator to retire seemingly.

• Like 5

Fuck sake - there's something seriously wrong there, looked like a petit mal seizure, or summat - for a few seconds there he literally didn't seem to know where he was

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

This all seems very sudden, excluding his fall last year (which is something that can happen to anyone regardless of health), up until last month there really wasn't any major red flags for him health wise. As much as I dislike the man seeing him go from a strong, albeit, boring speaker to this in a matter of months is quite upsetting.

While his health decline might be sudden,there is a reason in literally any other job field reliant on someone speaking for long periods of time they do not give 80 year olds prominent positions.

Definitely something going on. What makes no sense is they seem to be trying to keep it private yet it keeps happening in public, making the charade impossible to keep up. I know he's 81, but he's also lost weight compared to even a year or two ago.

• Like 1

Bullshit he should be on here...

Turtles can live up to 250 years old, Mitch has at least 100 years more to go :P

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

At least they don't have a second chamber that's appointments are partially made on who's uterus you happened to be expelled from.

At least in the pre-reform days it was not required that every Lord who had a right to sit, swear in to sit, or even to vote... Unlike the US Senate, where literally every vote counts in this current session due to the majority only having a majority by 1 seat...

Since the start of this year, Mitch has had so many health issues, It started in February when he fell in Helsinki while meeting with the Finnish president. He then fell again in February, causing a concussion and a fractured rib, resulting in a lengthy hospital stay. He had trouble hearing reporters at a news conference in June. He had yet another fall getting off a plane at Regan National Airport in DC in July. He had his first freezing spell later that month and had another one yesterday.

Don't care for the guy, but hopefully he gets the medical help he needs. I worry he'll eventually have another fall or a major stroke, and neither may end well for him with what's been happening in just this year alone. I wonder if him or Feinstein will go first. I think Fetterman will get better, slowly but surely. I commend him for getting help with his depression.

On 30/08/2023 at 19:49, TQR said:

My feeling is that those who wield the power in the US (politicians, party donors, etc.) generally like the status quo, and, with exceptions, many politicians/figures who are younger hold views that do not align with the status quo (on both left and right), so the "better the devil you know" mindset keeps the current crop of politicians in power for as long as possible. Either that or the current crop's selfishness/greed extends to physically blocking up seats in Government forever. 

McConnell pulls some impressive maneuvers that I don't think anyone without institutional knowledge could pull off. He blocked Obama's Supreme Court nominee -- which the GOP picked out themselves years ago. Article from 2010 of the GOP recommending Merrick Garland: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-hatch/republican-would-back-garland-for-supreme-court-idUSTRE6456QY20100506

There's also the huge problem that's been going on a decade+ now with the GOP that's more been in the House but creeping into the Senate: no one wants to be their party leader. Boehner was always in tears; Ryan (who was young) quit; McCarthy's term started as a huge embarrassment and is the envy of no one.
I heard that Thune and Cornyn want McConnell's job but I see why there's been no grand movement for it.

Feinstein is different because she is utterly replaceable; I don't see how the other party members benefit from her being there, and they just need to guarantee her staff jobs. Currently the issue is the divided Senate could keep her committee seats from being filled, which frankly they shouldn't have put themselves in that situation.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lilham said:

McConnell pulls some impressive maneuvers that I don't think anyone without institutional knowledge could pull off. He blocked Obama's Supreme Court nominee -- which the GOP picked out themselves years ago. Article from 2010 of the GOP recommending Merrick Garland: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-hatch/republican-would-back-garland-for-supreme-court-idUSTRE6456QY20100506

There's also the huge problem that's been going on a decade+ now with the GOP that's more been in the House but creeping into the Senate: no one wants to be their party leader. Boehner was always in tears; Ryan (who was young) quit; McCarthy's term started as a huge embarrassment and is the envy of no one.
I heard that Thune and Cornyn want McConnell's job but I see why there's been no grand movement for it.

Feinstein is different because she is utterly replaceable; I don't see how the other party members benefit from her being there, and they just need to guarantee her staff jobs. Currently the issue is the divided Senate could keep her committee seats from being filled, which frankly they shouldn't have put themselves in that situation.

Robert Byrd back in I think the late 80s issued arrest issues to drag the republican senators back to the senate for a vote. Moscow Mitch knows nothing compared to the true former masters of the senate.

5 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

Robert Byrd back in I think the late 80s issued arrest issues to drag the republican senators back to the senate for a vote. Moscow Mitch knows nothing compared to the true former masters of the senate.

You're just saying that the Republicans have not wanted to go to work for decades, why would McConnell want to disrupt what he's achieving?

Now it's Schumer you should be forwarding Byrd's example to. There's only been a few things Schumer's done that I was impressed with; I think he is replaceable too.

2 minutes ago, lilham said:

You're just saying that the Republicans have not wanted to go to work for decades, why would McConnell want to disrupt what he's achieving?

Now it's Schumer you should be forwarding Byrd's example to. There's only been a few things Schumer's done that I was impressed with; I think he is replaceable too.

If Moscow Mitch was truly an evil genius as you proclaim, he would be able to match the example of Byrd in his prime, but he can't, he didn't even manage to repeal obamacare! Also that's not what I am saying.

8 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

If Moscow Mitch was truly an evil genius as you proclaim, he would be able to match the example of Byrd in his prime, but he can't, he didn't even manage to repeal obamacare! Also that's not what I am saying.

I said he had a wealth of institutional knowledge, and I didn't deny that Byrd did... Biden also has it. Feinstein has not flexed anything like that at all in years; it's just her staff wanting to have jobs. Was just explaining the longevity of McConnell.

The pharmaceutical industry restructured themselves around the ACA, and many politicians financially benefit from it being upheld; Chief Justice Roberts pretty much said that in his flip.

1 minute ago, lilham said:

I said he had a wealth of institutional knowledge, and I didn't deny that Byrd did... Biden also has it. Feinstein has not flexed anything like that at all in years; it's just her staff wanting to have jobs. Was just explaining the longevity of McConnell.

The pharmaceutical industry restructured themselves around the ACA, and many politicians financially benefit from it being upheld; Chief Justice Roberts pretty much said that in his flip.

if he had a wealth of institutional knowledge, what has he done with that knowledge other than prevent the nomination of a supreme court justice with his republican majority?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

if he had a wealth of institutional knowledge, what has he done with that knowledge other than prevent the nomination of a supreme court justice with his republican majority?

This confirms the troll label you have been given. Welcome to my wide and vast 'ignored' list.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1