Rhod Gilbert

IN

Georg Koch

Jane McAlevey

Linda Tirado

Rupert Keegan

Sven Goran Eriksson

Out

Brazil, Wyman, Lazerenko, Gilbert, Housego. 

In

Joan Bakewell

Johnny Walker

sven G Ericsson

Noam Chomsky

Jmmy Carter. 

Sorry its it’s a bit late

Got a hit with Vic Seixas.

Well this is an unexpected surprise. Back to back hits for me with Bengt I. Samuelsson (unique pretty sure) and Jane McAlevey (huge replacement name).

On 28/06/2024 at 12:38, Torva Messor said:

My 2024 Death By Numbers  Midyear Replacement List

IN:
Noam Chomsky
Shelley Duvall
Sven-Göran Eriksson
:angel2: Jane McAlevey
Johnnie Walker (BBC Radio 2 DJ)

OUT:
Imelda Marcos
Sam Neill
Bob Newhart
Edna O'Brien
Stu Phillips

Shelley Duvall shuffled off this mortal cOyl while the DeathList was in stasis.

• Like 1

Although Ruth Westheimer was kept in my 'IN' pile, she saw herself out, as an increment for my DBN 2024 hit count.

• Like 1

Unusually destructive week for my list, in which Death did not stop at three.

Okay.... well I hope I got it right with all the replacements, all the Sven-Göran Erikssons and Johnnie Walkers and Jane McAleveys.

Speaking of which.... McAlevey is dead and gets a rare Morningstar Online obit, we love to see them. The American labour activist hung on just long enough to be a popular replacement pick, thus keeping me from getting a nice differential hit. An interesting effect this year that I don't lose that much terrain with the replacement picks because I had some of the names before.

Other names for this update are quite the heavy hitters. First of all, Shannen Doherty. She seemed the most notable face of the Beverly Hills 90210 crew to me. But I never watched the show and have to rely on the memories of my sister's youth magazines there. Later, she got another hit role in "Charmed" which wasn't quite the same phenomenon but still quite popular. Afterwards, her career stalled, as she suffered a severe case of "aging in Hollywood". In the final years, the cancer of course didn't help, but she seemed to be doing alright, and didn't have that long final painful period that other long-time breast cancer sufferers have - at least she didn't show it! Here's another breast cancer case where the ominous spreading to the bones announced the final year.

Let's move on to Ruth Westheimer. The trained sniper was catapulted into world-wide fame in the early 80s when she first got the chance to have her own radio show, and then even a TV show in which she gave relationship advice as she had previously done for decades in her own sex therapy practice. It was still a time when people were afraid to ask, and when there wasn't more info than you could possibly want on the internet. TorvaMessor receives a unique hit, well done!

Vic Seixas is a unique hit for Lady Fiona, also congratulations there! He was a winner of two grand slam titles and the no. 1 US player for quite some time. He was one of VERY few top sportspeople to make the full century.

Joe Engle is a hit for tracy and the Immortal. He was a trained pilot and astronaut, first flying experimental airplanes to altitudes that count as "space", and then as part of the first Space Shuttle flights.

Then Shelley Duvall, a hit for a couple of teams. Somewhat unfairly, she'll be remembered mostly for being the wife of a bonkers Jack Nicholson in Kubrick's Shining. The same year she starred in the Popeye movie, and then a few months later in Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits. Afterwards, the big movie roles somewhat dried up. And there were always rumours of some mental instability - sort of a presumed Kubrick effect, who wanted her to be actually scared instead of just acting that way. Somehow one knew that she wouldn't quite make average life expectancy, and it was diabetes that killed her.

Now, Jim Inhofe. The Senator from Oklahoma is a unique hit for tracy. He had been retired for two years, but probably could have had the seat until he died, because it was a very safe republican seat in Oklahoma. He was one of the cases where you wondered whether he's dumbing it down for his audience, or whether he is actually a little simple. I assume it's the former, but you can't quite tell. He once brought a snowball into the Senate and thus demonstrated the difference between weather and climate. Apparently, certain jobs require a bit of grandstanding and acting for the base.

And also, there was one hit I saw that I had previously forgotten, Queens Park Rangers legend Stan Bowles. The indisputable star of his team had suffered from Alzheimer's for many years and already died back in February. Maybe I mentioned him but forgot to allocate the points? Toast, Book and Sean get some late points.

Predictably, I lose the lead after the substitutions, and it's Cpt. Chorizo and his always well-balanced selection of advanced cancer sufferers who takes the lead with the death of Shannen Doherty:

Rank Team Score
1 Cpt. Chorizo 1164
2 gcreptile 1104
2 Banana 1104
4 wannamaker 988
5 RadGuy 975
6 Book 959
6 Funeralopolis 959
8 msc 938
9 Perhaps 875
10 Salmon Mousse 837
11 Summer in Transilvania 818
12 Buffalo Phil 778
13 Toast 746
14 Mr. Wonderful 698
15 The Immortal 677
16 The Unknown Man 636
16 An Fear Beag 636
18 Torva Messor 623
19 MariNisia 604
19 tracy 604
21 Baby Blue 583
22 Death Impends 582
23 Pedro67 571
24 Predictor 559
25 DeathBecomesThem 540
26 Liz Lemon 538
27 Thatcher 525
28 Etushipushingupdaisies 524
29 ThereWillBeDeaths7 516
30 The old lady 515
31 Imelda 511
32 John Key 485
33 The Old Crem 479
34 Cpt. Hemlock 469
34 Sean 469
36 Lady Fiona 466
37 Caleb H 453
38 TQR 430
39 Diego 429
40 Yorkshire Banker 404
41 Bibliogryphon 398
42 Charles De Gaulle 394
43 Wormfarmer 387
44 Annami 359
45 The Daredevil 355
46 Young Willz 292
47 Great Uncle Bulgaria 197
48 arghton 180
49 Hell 160
50 chileanway 158
51 Sod's Law 100
52 Gooseberry Crumble 31

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

NFL great Jim Otto died on May 19, leaving an inheritance of 38 points to Wormfarmer.

• Like 1

Ray Reardon is a hit for me and I suspect for others as well.