Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

I’m really surprised no one picked A.J. Foyt. An 89 year old auto racing legend with health issues could have been a great pick and he was on my long list.

• Like 2

The pop singer Marina was also picked 2014,assume it might accidentally be listed as 2 different spots in the database due to the 2014 description including her middle name but not in 2024.

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2014/celebs_D.html#diamam

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2024/celebs_D.html#diamanm024

• Thanks 1

The Alan Jones listed for Formula Fatality's team should be the former F1 World Champion, not the Australian rugby coach that he is currently listed under.

I'd be happy to help - albeit later in the year - with a lot of these bios (updating them, putting dates and places of birth in) if that would help.

• Thanks 1

On 17/01/2024 at 20:13, The Old Crem said:

Surprised only a former member of this forum is the only person to have selected SirJohn Curtice. 

He was my first reserve, and I kind of regret it now

@time  - no time at all for the Roger Rogerson QO to lead to an update! 

To date, no QO has appeared for cricketer Doug Padgett.  Is he the first for the List of the Lost?

3 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

To date, no QO has appeared for cricketer Doug Padgett.  Is he the first for the List of the Lost?

He might be a contender for the BBC Sport round up in December. 

43 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

Sadly, I think that's going to be Canadian Ice Hockey player Glen Cochrane.

Padgett might have to wait until the year-end BBC round-up.

Charles Osgood QO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colin McDonald, chosen by two teams, is the former England international footballer, not the Australian cricketer who died a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

The death of Councillor Jason Smith has put a trio of Deathracers one hit from victory - https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/citylife-news/tributes-paid-former-newcastle-councillor#:~:text=Tributes were paid today to,away after bravely fighting illness.&text=Jason Smith%2C who represented Lemington,a wife and four children.

Local reports, should be followed by BBC in due course 

22 DDP teams fielding this talent

• Like 1

One more to point out:

Steve Smith, picked by myself for my sporting theme team, is the former Huddersfield Town player now with dementia, not the drummer from Journey.

19 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

One more to point out:

Steve Smith, picked by myself for my sporting theme team, is the former Huddersfield Town player now with dementia, not the drummer from Journey.

Yeah, but they realised he had dementia when he said he was the drummer from Journey, right?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

The death of Councillor Jason Smith has put a trio of Deathracers one hit from victory - https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/citylife-news/tributes-paid-former-newcastle-councillor#:~:text=Tributes were paid today to,away after bravely fighting illness.&text=Jason Smith%2C who represented Lemington,a wife and four children.

Local reports, should be followed by BBC in due course 

22 DDP teams fielding this talent

So, re Jason Smith - anyone actually live in Newcastle and, like, listen to the radio, watch local telly or owt? 

Askin' for 21 friends, like

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, re Jason Smith - anyone actually live in Newcastle and, like, listen to the radio, watch local telly or owt? 

I think a few retweets on X to relevant local QO news agencies might do the trick...

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Yep and I am starting to think the period has passed. It was on the Chronicle for the majority of yesterday, it was announced at the meeting of Full Council which has press attending, and if it was going to go up I’d have thought it would have been today. I didn’t pick him for DDP as I wasn’t convinced it’d get followed up. Nothing on the local news this evening.

Depends imo if there's a "paid tributes to" article for the funeral etc ... but yes, I'd say the probability is now below 50%

34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Depends imo if there's a "paid tributes to" article for the funeral etc ... but yes, I'd say the probability is now below 50%

OOOhhh, could be a biggish DDP moment. I considered him a risk worth taking (nailed on he'd go, obit chances depending on news cycle) but those taking the risk include some traditional big dead pool hitters with DDP form, oh aye, and me!

• Like 1

Personally, I don’t understand the interest in this so called “celebrity”.

Yer local councillor isn’t really on a par with Melanie Safka or even toothless from Deliverance on a national level.

True, there have been some noteworthy local officers with some interesting achievements or infamy (Derek Hatton for example) but the guy who had a vote on whether your conservatory goes up…well, how did he pass the DDP sniff test?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Yep and I am starting to think the period has passed. It was on the Chronicle for the majority of yesterday, it was announced at the meeting of Full Council which has press attending, and if it was going to go up I’d have thought it would have been today. I didn’t pick him for DDP as I wasn’t convinced it’d get followed up. Nothing on the local news this evening.

I agree, He doesn’t seem like someone who will obit. He was just a councillor - not a leader of the council. And he wasn’t in office when he died either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

well, how did he pass the DDP sniff test?

As it's yet to change since I wrote it, the sniff test wasn't intended to get rid of local councillors, oldest people or anyone WEP picks ever. It was the shameless teenage mum picks and random car crash victims on life support we couldn't get people to stop picking. I believe I said pick your local Detroit representative just don't expect a qo... Words I should have listened to!

Mind you yahoo etc got brought in because of someone getting grumpy about a borusa lack of obit. And other reasons. And instead the press continue to totally ignore old writers and actors. Beyond fucked up with it tbh.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Personally, I don’t understand the interest in this so called “celebrity”.

Yer local councillor isn’t really on a par with Melanie Safka or even toothless from Deliverance on a national level.

True, there have been some noteworthy local officers with some interesting achievements or infamy (Derek Hatton for example) but the guy who had a vote on whether your conservatory goes up…well, how did he pass the DDP sniff test?

Well, my gamble - and well aware it was - was local headlines via BBC or ITV, more an announcement following his standing down and he was the kind of guy who clearly had respect across the floor of the council chamber. Outside bet, Other Lives in The Guardian. 

Really outside bet, 22 disgrunted DDP entrants have a whip round and stage a memorial gig  that reunites Gazza with the surviving Lindisfarnes to sing Fog on the Tyne!

• Like 1