Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I agree, He doesn’t seem like someone who will obit. He was just a councillor - not a leader of the council. And he wasn’t in office when he died either. 

I mean he stepped down when it was announced he had cancer, that's probably why they picked it up in the first place.

We've seen councilors get obits before so it's nothing new. Maybe they original writer was off sick today or something idk :/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

As it's yet to change since I wrote it, the sniff test wasn't intended to get rid of local councillors, oldest people or anyone WEP picks ever. It was the shameless teenage mum picks and random car crash victims on life support we couldn't get people to stop picking. I believe I said pick your local Detroit representative just don't expect a qo... Words I should have listened to!

Mind you yahoo etc got brought in because of someone getting grumpy about a borusa lack of obit. And other reasons. And instead the press continue to totally ignore old writers and actors. Beyond fucked up with it tbh.

Not saying whether he should be allowed as a pick so much as the folk who picked him.

I think @msc has it right. Take a deep breath through your nostrils and say “do I feel good about this or is it a chance for a points grab?”.

Winning is for winners as I’ve always said. Playing the game with a full heart is much more rewarding! Ha!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not saying whether he should be allowed as a pick so much as the folk who picked him.

I think @msc has it right. Take a deep breath through your nostrils and say “do I feel good about this or is it a chance for a points grab?”.

Winning is for winners as I’ve always said. Playing the game with a full heart is much more rewarding! Ha!

Although for clarity, note that known forum hypocrite MSc has a certain deceased councillor on his DDP team!

• Haha 2

It was hard to avoid him in the usual google searches. You cant fault anyone who picked him (which includes me, ahem). But if he doesn't obit, its a boost for all those teams who didn't quite go for all the obvious point grabs. Day in the Death might be one of those teams, maybe also the B-team. But the year has barely started. There might even be a one-sentence mention in an article about his successor, or something similar. 

• Like 1

On the bright side, if Jason Smith is indeed LOTL, he joins Toto no namer Fergie Frederiksen as the name with the most pickers that didn’t get a QO with 22 teams apiece. So picking him wasn’t exactly totally for nought even if it feels that way

• Like 2

I will say that if for whatever reason my much more casualish approach to the DDP this year ends up giving me my first DDP win I will be extremely amused 

• Like 1

This is exactly how we miss Jane Birkin and Richard Roundtree tbh. Ha!

”Yeah, I’m gonna drop Judi Dench this year, what about that guy who tap danced at our local panto last year who has a massive brain tumour?”.

I cast no stones but I’m also not going to clap those on the back for taking a risky punt. I shall forever remain Switzerland in the battles to come.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

It was hard to avoid him in the usual google searches. You cant fault anyone who picked him (which includes me, ahem). But if he doesn't obit, its a boost for all those teams who didn't quite go for all the obvious point grabs. Day in the Death might be one of those teams, maybe also the B-team. But the year has barely started. There might even be a one-sentence mention in an article about his successor, or something similar. 

I don't know, seemed pretty easy to miss him on this side of the pond.  I thought I'd dug to pretty low depths of British fame in the past for DDP but would've never dreamed a counselor for a ward with barely over 10,000 people in it would be pickable.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well, my gamble - and well aware it was - was local headlines via BBC or ITV, more an announcement following his standing down and he was the kind of guy who clearly had respect across the floor of the council chamber. Outside bet, Other Lives in The Guardian. 

Really outside bet, 22 disgrunted DDP entrants have a whip round and stage a memorial gig  that reunites Gazza with the surviving Lindisfarnes to sing Fog on the Tyne!

This, basically. It was a surprise enough tbh that 'local councillor is ill' was on BBC News' main page, so I thought suck it and see.

I'll start a crowdfund soon.

• Facepalm 1

I mulled over picking him for TJS for maybe three minutes. But he was such an "in it to win it" name and it did not look right having him flanked by Alexander Butterfield and Clarence "Frogman" Henry.

I look forward to the 2025 DDP when I pick the 60s girl group singer who announces stage 1 fingernail cancer while ignoring the 3 NFLers in hospice with pancan.

• Haha 1

The way I see it with these kind of picks is that the top teams on average depending on the year have about 3-7 survivors. That gives about 3-7 picks you can try and be a little riskier on, but this number also changes depending on the strength of the 13-17 other picks.

Our local neighbourhood watch isn't looking too healthy, just saying 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 18/01/2024 at 02:45, Insane said:

Going to say this again (if someone from the committee saw it I’m sorry)

I can’t find my main Team: Peter Falk’s Friends. Would I have to send it again because I sent it on the 8th of December but I never received a email confirming my main team is in but my theme team was. What do I have to do?

Peter Falk's Friends is in. Give it a quick once-over to make sure it's as expected.

Harry Connick Sr QO

7 hours ago, Banana said:

The way I see it with these kind of picks is that the top teams on average depending on the year have about 3-7 survivors. That gives about 3-7 picks you can try and be a little riskier on, but this number also changes depending on the strength of the 13-17 other picks.

Totally concur, but less than  top teams - like mine - have riskier picks too. Sometimes pay off. 

On 16/01/2024 at 20:00, JustPassingThrough said:

My main team, Plausible Passings of 2024, looks like it made it in OK, except for my selection of Prince Edward the Duke of Kent, which was filed under Prince Edward, the younger brother of the king. Re-checking my spreadsheet, it looks like I entered the phrases Prince Edward and Duke of Kent in the wrong order vs. the DDP listing, so my apologies for the mistake. (Though the fact that the younger Edward is currently listed on 5x as many teams as the older one suggests mine was not the only lost Duke of Kent pick.)

I'm also unable to find my theme team, Six Feet Under the Dome.

Six Feet Under the Dome has been added; give it a quick once-over and let me know if its not as expected.

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2024 at 23:35, YoungWillz said:

”Yeah, I’m gonna drop Judi Dench this year, what about that guy who tap danced at our local panto last year who has a massive brain tumour?”.

Oh no he doesn't !!!!

15 hours ago, wannamaker said:

Roger Donlon QO

So a story from WDAF  counts because it was regurgitated on yahoo!!!!

Madness !!!

BBC step up with Jason Smith q/o 

22 DDPers cut down on laundering underwear!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c191endrkdko

Oh aye, and...death confirmed as earlier this month so the provisional date and points on the Deathrace stay where they are until anything definite emerges.

• Thanks 9

Was just.coming to post this. If you check X, he died on the day the Chronicle first reported it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope all who picked him feel suitably rewarded one way or the other, ha!

Points aren’t everything. Except in this game.

39 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I hope all who picked him feel suitably rewarded one way or the other, ha!

Points aren’t everything. Except in this game.

It was never in doubt that this modern heavyweight of local council would get a deserved BBC obit. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Was just.coming to post this. If you check X, he died on the day the Chronicle first reported it.

Thanks, significant in a small way because it takes a point off Sideik and puts two teams into a tie for the lead. If their joint picks keep dying we might go into the first Deathrace head to head tiebreak. I mean, obviously the fourth round of the FA Cup couldn't compete with that nail-biter!

I'll tweak the leaderboard later on after watching Maidstone humble the Tractor Boys

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, msc said:

It was never in doubt that this modern heavyweight of local council would get a deserved BBC obit. :lol:

My teams remain a gleaming ship floating on a golden sea of no points. (For which I am grateful).

Meanwhile the dredgers are out collecting points a-plenty from the ocean’s trenches of despond.

Early days. Can’t see me holed below the waterline until my internet is connected. Yes, still waiting!

• Like 1