Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2024 List

The 2024 DL has now fallen behind the 2017 DL and 2019 DL, becoming the slowest performing yet, since 2015.

Jonnie Irwin & Frank Field should have risen the total up to 5; they were unnecessary misses, no others to put in that category so far this year.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

The 2024 DL has now fallen behind the 2017 DL and 2019 DL, becoming the slowest performing yet, since 2015.

Jonnie Irwin & Frank Field should have risen the total up to 5; they were unnecessary misses, no others to put in that category so far this year.

I think their low score so far this year is a combination of bad misses and the fact that so many seriously ill people are still hanging on. Like Roberta Flack and Vanessa Redgrave should be long gone by now yet they still hang on.

Many bad misses are still hanging on but if they go then it will bring serious embarrassment to the DL community. Ruth Buzzi is the prime example. How the bloody hell is she still alive?

Will we have a hit before the end of the month?

...Probably not, tbh, given how the list is going

47 minutes ago, CastAway said:

Will we have a hit before the end of the month?

At this stage, Ethel and Noam are the only ones I can see going before this coming June. Carter seems safe and sound for now... again.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Is there no limit to how many times one person can be on the DL? So Jimmy could be on it every year in theory even if he survived to 117 :shock2:

But I know from personal experience you remove someone and that'll be the year they have their chips :scratchhead:

Hopefully, this will inspire the committee to rethink their strategy of "pick anyone vaguely famous who is over the age of 90". In fairness to them though, I expected there to be far more hits by this point and I can't really blame them for the apparent immortality of some of the candidates.

There certainly could have been more hits (Jonnie Irwin was clearly a goner and should have been included), but hopefully there will be an avalanche soon.

Still think it's not a bad list. Just a lot of people seem to be just hanging on. Still quite conceivable that there's a glut of hits in the 2nd half of the year

• Like 2

We wouldn't all be so impatient if the three hits of the year had been spread out better, e.g. at the end of January, beginning of March and mid-May.

Of course, that would still not be enough hits for us overall, but we probably wouldn't have the feeling that the DL was dead.

I also think there will be some more hits to come.

• Like 2

I, too, think we will have a bunch of hits in a relatively short time as soon as the 4th hit is a reality. It could be like the drought of 2022, when the DL had only 4 hits on 29 August but would eventually end the year with 14. Or it could end up like 2011 did.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

At this stage, Ethel and Noam are the only ones I can see going before this coming June. Carter seems safe and sound for now... again.

How come?

On 01/01/2024 at 00:35, tracy said:

Since my gut reaction was that it looks pretty good, I'm feeling a final score of 3/50

If this drought continues on much longer I will be blaming you, specifically for posting this.

• Haha 8

This is just a strange year. Usually you have a few obvious picks. This year has too many of those could die tomorrow, could die a year from now type picks.

• Like 1

It has now been a five month drought- never so long since the second half of 1996.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

People not dying. Terrible.

My morals are....conflicted?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

It has now been a five month drought- never so long since the second half of 1996.

In our French Deathlist, we score at 11/50 for now.

19 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

If we don't get a hit before the beginning of July, it would be a six month drought. I'd be surprised if the 2024 DeathList ended with a disappointing score of 3/50.

I don't think it's been that bad since the DL begun 

:unsure:

• Facepalm 3

I still think it’s a good list, it’s just people are hanging on and medication also advanced

• Like 1

Before I joined on 1 January 2021 the two longest droughts since 2011 (152 days) were about 90 days, in 2013 and in 2019.

Since I joined there have been three droughts of around the 150 days (and the current one is still counting). So I guess this is all my fault. Sorry.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Miranda lass said:

I don't think it's been that bad since the DL begun 

:unsure:

This is the longest drought in a first half of a year since the Deathlist began-surely that run must be coming to an end soon.

I posted this earlier on the Statistics thread.  Might provide some interest.

Here's an idea for someone who likes number-crunching.

Score every DL year as if it were the Deathrace, and then score them as per the Hare's Deadpool.

So, points scored according to when the deaths happened.

My personal DL has taken much criticism but with 5 hits, has done better than the official :axe:

• Like 1

I still think the 2024 list was a very good list the committee put forward. It still has good potential for the remaining 6.5 months of the year too (Carter, Chomsky, Woodward, Starmer-Smith, Brokaw, Flack, Rantzen) plus some of the nonagenarian lingerers such as Baxter and Gall could get the score into double digits. However should that  prove not to be the case then the way I look at it is that the future death lists will get very busy and increase the chances of getting a new record. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Steve said:

I still think the 2024 list was a very good list the committee put forward. It still has good potential for the remaining 6.5 months of the year too (Carter, Chomsky, Woodward, Starmer-Smith, Brokaw, Flack, Rantzen) plus some of the nonagenarian lingerers such as Baxter and Gall could get the score into double digits. However should that  prove not to be the case then the way I look at it is that the future death lists will get very busy and increase the chances of getting a new record. 

Actually if the death logjam doesn't break before the end of the year I think we will see a new record for people dying who got left off the list. As it stands right now 22 members of the current list can not be selected for next year, and every time one of them dies next year there will be people questioning how the selections were made. If there are under 10 deaths in a year I think more of the failed list should be allowed to be kept for the next year, but i know that won't fly as it isn't the tradition. 

• Like 2