Tango854

Kamala Harris

Kamala Harris seems harmless enough to me and that is a prerequisite for the position of President of the United States of America, so she gets my backing.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Kamala Harris seems harmless enough to me and that is a prerequisite for the position of President of the United States of America, so she gets my backing.

mango facepalmed which means youre correct

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, jimbean1121 said:

mango facepalmed which means youre correct

He's only just hauled down his stiffie with ropes after the Jimmy Carter death hoax.

3 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

He's only just hauled down his stiffie with ropes after the Jimmy Carter death hoax.

poor guy. hope he finds a hobby or some type of activity to past time that isn’t on this site 

• Like 1

I hear that Andy Beshear had his security level increased today. And next week, the campaign wants to have joint appearances of Kamala + VP.

Well, Shapiro sadly doesn't work right now. And Cooper, Kelly and dark horse Tim Walz have grey or no hair. So, yeah, Beshear.

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I hear that Andy Beshear had his security level increased today. And next week, the campaign wants to have joint appearances of Kamala + VP.

Well, Shapiro sadly doesn't work right now. And Cooper, Kelly and dark horse Tim Walz have grey or no hair. So, yeah, Beshear.

Oddschecker have seen Beshear's odds shorten, but he is mainly third favourite with some bookies giving Shapiro odds shorter than evens.

30 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Roy Cooper withdrew his name yesterday. Guessing he goes for Senate in 2026.

1 minute ago, MortalCaso said:

Roy Cooper withdrew his name yesterday. Guessing he goes for Senate in 2026.

She's losing a lot of good picks...

Shapiro has become the -160 favorite, the first time in this short window in which someone has better than Even odds.  It's been reported that Harris will reveal the pick no later than Monday, and that the first appearance together with the VP pick will be at a rally on Tuesday...in Philadelphia, PA.  I mean, this screams Shapiro, doesn't it?  The campaign has said not to read too much into that, but come on.  It is true that if Harris wins PA, the pathways open up considerably for her for an Electoral College win.  A PA win for Trump means that Harris basically has to run the table in the other swing states.  If they think that Shapiro guarantees a PA win, I can understand the pick.  

• Like 1

Meant to be announcing her VP pick tonight. Apparently hadn't made a final decision as of last night and wanted to sleep on it. A range of signs have been produced for the various different tickets at the announcement tonight. She's going to ring all the picks today to tell them her decision before the joint-rally tonight, so it may leak later this afternoon. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c9r3rdkr92pt

8 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Meant to be announcing her VP pick tonight. Apparently hadn't made a final decision as of last night and wanted to sleep on it. A range of signs have been produced for the various different tickets at the announcement tonight. She's going to ring all the picks today to tell them her decision before the joint-rally tonight, so it may leak later this afternoon. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/c9r3rdkr92pt

Where can I place a bet that she will say "what can be unburdened by what has been"?

If it's down to Shapiro vs Walz, which some sources have indicated, definitely fingers crossed for the latter. I would've accepted the "he's crappy on the issues but uber popular in Pennsylvania" mercenary logic for Shapiro a couple of weeks ago but the more skeletons come out the sourer I get. Whilst Walz might lack that direct swing state advantage but is all around better otherwise, and his "weird" talking point really shows a strong understanding of how to define the race.

Just flicked onto the tab I've got open with the live text and nearly had a coronary at that top line! :o

image.png.a7103ac9c4200341bd2ad9fa087c1774.png

• Haha 2

It's Tim Walz.

• Like 6

Heh, well, it's none of the names that were initially in the running. But as soon as he appeared on Kamala's vetting list, the party fell in love with him.

He adds a bit of gravitas, like Biden did for Obama. He's more approachable though.

• Like 1

Excellent choice, Shapiro would have been extremely risky given his past with the IDF and his views on Israel.

Guess the DNC really wants Tim as VP. After Tim Kaine in 2016 and Tim Walz in 2024, will they go with Tim the Enchanter next time?

• Like 3

Can't say I know anything about him in all honesty (I haven't been following the toing and froing of the VP race, knew some of them, not others). Just read his profile on the BBC live text and he sounds like a really sound choice, progressive but not in a way that's scary to moderates and independents, good experience in a range of different areas, not immediately easy to attack either, which will keep the Trump-Vance team off balance. Fingers crossed it helps Harris cement her honeymoon advantage longer term.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Walz won me over the longer the past two weeks happened. Pleasantly surprised he was the pick, Dems usually pick somewhat lame (or in Shapiro’s case somewhat problematic) picks in the past so glad that changed this time

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Walz won me over the longer the past two weeks happened. Pleasantly surprised he was the pick, Dems usually pick somewhat lame (or in Shapiro’s case somewhat problematic) picks in the past so glad that changed this time

Honestly I thought Shapiro was going to be the pick, but it makes sense really, he not only has dogshit positions on School "Choice" and Israel, he is a ambitious career climber without even trying to hide it, and also the sexual harassment and murder case that he was apart of.

Can I ask a question of our American friends that has been crossing my mind a bit over the past few days and was given some voice in a comment from one of Shapiro's supporters in the Pennsylvania Democratic party. He suggested that there was no danger of the Democrats losing Pennsylvania, even though Shapiro had been passed over and Pennsylvanians would be annoyed. Is that the reaction a state's citizens have to their governor being chosen for a Presidential ticket (especially VP?). If you love what Shapiro is doing in Pennsylvania, surely you want him to stay in charge of your state, rather than run off to Washington? Or does state pride take precedence and what they can do for the country as a whole?

20 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Can I ask a question of our American friends that has been crossing my mind a bit over the past few days and was given some voice in a comment from one of Shapiro's supporters in the Pennsylvania Democratic party. He suggested that there was no danger of the Democrats losing Pennsylvania, even though Shapiro had been passed over and Pennsylvanians would be annoyed. Is that the reaction a state's citizens have to their governor being chosen for a Presidential ticket (especially VP?). If you love what Shapiro is doing in Pennsylvania, surely you want him to stay in charge of your state, rather than run off to Washington? Or does state pride take precedence and what they can do for the country as a whole?

I’ve never really considered it before, but I can’t imagine anyone being so frustrated about someone they liked not being chosen that they don’t vote for the ticket.

That being said the actual chosen VP candidate could influence a vote. I knew someone who was thinking voting for McCain before he picked Palin. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

I’ve never really considered it before, but I can’t imagine anyone being so frustrated about someone they liked not being chosen that they don’t vote for the ticket.

That being said the actual chosen VP candidate could influence a vote. I knew someone who was thinking voting for McCain before he picked Palin. 

Oh, yeah, I realise that the VP pick might influence people's votes, that's why black/Indian liberal Kamala Harris has picked old, white midwestern Tim Walz. And agree entirely that Palin was a huge issue for McCain and turned a lot of voters off (and probably accelerated the rise of the loony right but that's another story). What I'm more asking is less about whether it will influence their votes but is it a bigger source of pride if your governor is chosen for a presidential ticket or are you thinking "I only voted him in for a second term in November, I wish we weren't losing him". Obviously both are possible simultaneously but which is the bigger emotion? Pride or frustration?

Well, this was unexpected. I would have put my money on Beshear any day.