Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Isn't this what this Forum can be about?

If there is stuff you don't know about, maybe the death of a person will encourage you to watch or listen to their work, read a book by them, or whatever.

Absolutely, I listened to fairytales in New York earlier today after it was mentionned a few times in the Shane McGowan thread. Didn’t like it though but glad I discovered The Pogues

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, msc said:

She was the main actress on the biggest American sitcom of the eighties. But she never really kept that stardom level, turning down roles due to her Scientology beliefs. She was the only major Cheers star not to make an appearance in Frasier, due to real life heat between her and Kelsey Grammer. 

Apparently she also felt appearing on a show revolving around psychiatry went against her Scientologist mores. I had to laugh upon discovering that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I’ve seen her everywhere in the News in the past 24 hours but never heard of her before. Maybe I’m too young ? I was born in 1998 

Christ do I feel old, I remember her from North and South well before she was in Cheers :old:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, One shot Paddy said:

Christ do I feel old, I remember her from North and South well before she was in Cheers :old:

Yes, me too. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Absolutely, I listened to fairytales in New York earlier today after it was mentionned a few times in the Shane McGowan thread. Didn’t like it though but glad I discovered The Pogues

That's sacrilege .The Fairytale of New York is the greatest Christmas song around.The dark gritty realism gives it the edge over its competitors.Life is a complicated messy affair and festivities often bring conflict.To portray that in a song that is rough and raw with the harsh realities people face but whilst still maintaining an endearing almost nostalgic quality is quite something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

I had to block Kirstie Alley because she was a raging Trump supporter. That and a Scientologist. She was tweeting up until two weeks ago and was even promoting her Cameo to fans on Instagram in the last 12 weeks.

On another message board, there were regular people commenting that they found out they were blocked by Kirstie Alley as they were unable to see the death announcement. They had no known beef with her. :lol:

SAG-AFTRA Fall/Winter 2022 has landed.

Off radar deaths:

Bryan Clark (wiki, 1929–2022)
Robert Gentry (wiki, 1940–2022)
Wolf Muser (wiki, 1950–2022)
Andy Romano (wiki, 1941–2022)

All actors.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

SAG-AFTRA Fall/Winter 2022 has landed.

Off radar deaths:

Bryan Clark (wiki, 1929–2022)
Robert Gentry (wiki, 1940–2022)
Andy Romano (wiki, 1941–2022)

All actors.

Wolf Muser was US TV's go to German guy for a while. The name rang a bell, he was a recurring Big Bad in Alias (very popular the time, but utterly batshit crime/fantasy series). Was still doing TV recently so surprised that one fell off the radar. Also he had a 2-3 minute cameo in Breaking Bad once, so surprised there's no "Breaking Bad Star Dies" coverage like that other guy last week!

MV5BMTYxNzExNjg0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjUxMjIyODE@._V1_.jpg

Bryan Clark looks familiar. Might be because he was the recurring Reagan impersonator of the 90s, but also appeared in stuff I used to watch like Eerie Indiana. 

Andy Romano had quite a long career so it's probably unfair that the only thing I can recall him for was as a cop in one of the worst Columbo episodes!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'll echo msc, quite surprised no one had tabs on him. Very recognizable. Breaking Bad, The Man in the High Castle, Parks and Recreation, several low-budget action movies, etc.

Also, looking him up, it seems he was actually a little older than previously noted:

NAME: Wolf Muser
BORN: Oct 1946
LIVES IN: Thousand Oaks, CA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Also he had a 2-3 minute cameo in Breaking Bad once, so surprised there's no "Breaking Bad Star Dies" coverage like that other guy last week!

He was "Mr. Herzog", boss of "Madrigal Electromotive GMBh" (found this page, if someone wants to read about it more) Like James Ning, didn't later appear in Better Call Saul.

Better keep an eye on actors with minor Breaking Bad roles! Mentioning a few:

Virginia Montero (imdb) - Played Jesse Pinkman's girlfriend's grandmother in two episodes.

David Ury (imdb) - Played the methhead who gets crushed by an ATM machine by the character played by Dale Dickey (imdb)

Norbert Weisser - Played Peter Schuler, Gus Fring's boss in Breaking Bad and later in one episode of Better Call Saul.

J. Michael Oliva (imdb) - Played a member of Jesse Pinkman's support group.

There were some more famous actors/actresses who only appeared in one, two or three episodes and are now quite old, including Charlie Rose, Larry Hankin and Danny Trejo. I recall Better Call Saul also had a lot of elderly cast members

• Like 1

I was toying with a Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul theme team, as some actors were showing their age, Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks), Bob Odenkirk's heart attack, Hector Salamanca (Mark Margolis), and now, of course, Carol Burnett, too.

58 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I was toying with a Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul theme team, as some actors were showing their age, Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks), Bob Odenkirk's heart attack, Hector Salamanca (Mark Margolis), and now, of course, Carol Burnett, too.

Mark Margolis had a fall and an emergency brain surgery in 2017. Banks seems to be in amazing health but looks ancient.

Better Call Saul apparently has a much larger cast than Breaking Bad (700+ people). From them Grant James died last month. including:

Juan Carlos Cantu (imdb) Manuel Varga

Jean Effron (imdb) Irene Landry. Not sure how old she is, but looked ancient at the end of the series.

Carol Herman (imdb) Geraldine Strauss. Again not sure how old she is, but plays one of the only characters in the franchise who die of old age.

Barry Corbin - more known from other stuff, but he's one of those who looked pretty ancient in the show. Also mentioned in this thread a few pages back that he has oral cancer.

Kevin Sussman - more known from other stuff, but, he plays a guy with pancreatic cancer. Sometimes those types are actually ill too.

Phyllis Applegate (imdb) Myrtle. 78, looks ancient

Robert Grossman (imdb) Fudge, war hero/public masturbator

James Cady (imdb) Judge Kurt N. Forshager

Carolyn Wickwire (imdb) Plays Alma May Urbano, one of the old people early in the show. Now 86

Ted Raymond (imdb) Mr. Tiller. 91.

Alaina Warren Zachary (imdb) Mrs. VanKamp, 76

Forrest Fyre (imdb) Judge

Jose Jacinto Marquez (imdb) Mr. Witchell

Christopher Hagen (imdb) Big Paul

Charles Mate (imdb) Multiple minor roles

• Like 1

Banks was the best actor in the entire show, imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Andy Romano had quite a long career so it's probably unfair that the only thing I can recall him for was as a cop in one of the worst Columbo episodes!

That episode was so bland that I saw it about two months back and already can barely remember anything besides the old guy in the wheelchair.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 18:34, Ulitzer95 said:

Following the death of Alfie Scopp at the weekend, just 10 of the credited cast (excluding the dancers) now left from Fiddler on the Roof (1971).

The film will celebrate its 50th anniversary on November 3rd.

Topol (b. 1935) – Tevye
Norma Crane (1928–1973) – Golde
Leonard Frey (1938–1988) – Motel the tailor / Tzeitel's husband
Molly Picon (1898–1992) – Yente, the matchmaker
Paul Mann (1913–1985) – Lazar Wolf, the butcher

Rosalind Harris (b. 1946) – Tzeitel, the eldest daughter
Michele Marsh (b. 1946) – Hodel, the second daughter
Neva Small (b. 1952) – Chava, the third daughter
Paul Michael Glaser (b. 1943) – Perchik, a Bolshevik revolutionary / Hodel's husband
Ray Lovelock (1950–2017) – Fyedka, a Christian / Chava's husband
Elaine Edwards (b. 19??) – Shprintze, the fourth daughter
Candy Bonstein (b. 1960) – Bielke, the fifth daughter
Shimen Ruskin (1907–1976) – Mordcha, the innkeeper
Zvee Scooler (1899–1985) – Rabbi
Louis Zorich (1924–2018) – Constable
Alfie Scopp (1919–2021) – Avram, the bookseller
Howard Goorney (1921–2007) – Nachum, the beggar
Barry Dennen (1938–2017) – Mendel, the Rabbi's son
Vernon Dobtcheff (b. 1934) – Russian official
Ruth Madoc (1943–2022) – Fruma-Sarah, Lazar Wolf's late wife
Patience Collier (1910–1987) – Grandmother Tzeitel
Tutte Lemkow (1918–1991) – the Fiddler
Stella Courtney (1912–1998) – Shandel, Motel's mother
Jacob Kalich (1891–1975) – Yankel, the Grocer
Brian Coburn (1936–1989) – Berl

George Little (1928–2022) – Hone
Stanley Fleet (1925–2015) – Farcel
Arnold Diamond (1915–1992) – Moishe
Marika Rivera (1919–2010) – Rifka
Mark Malicz (1909–1986) – Ezekial
Aharon Ipalé (1941–2016) – Sheftel
Roger Lloyd-Pack (1944–2014) – Sexton
Vladimir Medar (1923–1978) – Priest

Additionally, its director/producer Norman Jewison (b. 1926), the composer of the original Broadway score Sheldon Harnick (b. 1924), and the film's score composer John Williams (b. 1932) are still with us.

One of my favourite musical films incidentally. Thoroughly recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Updated for the death of Ruth Madoc who brilliantly played Fruma-Sarah in the dream sequence!

Vernon Dobtcheff is now the last surviving credited cast member outside of the main family in the film.

• Like 3

Terrence O'Hara, an American television series director most associated with the NCIS franchise, has died. He was 76. O'Hara, who died December 5th, directed 56 episodes of NCIS from 2003 to 2022, and 29 episodes of NCIS: New Orleans from 2009-2022. His other directorial credits include the Blacklist, Grimm and many others. 

https://deadline.com/2022/12/terrence-ohara-dead-ncis-smallville-angel-tv-director-1235195774/

• Like 1

On 26/02/2022 at 06:44, dimreaper said:

Any thoughts on a Shelley Duvall (1949) thread? The actress from the Shining, she's had a history of mental health issues. Seems unlikely she'll live to an advanced age.

Shelley Duvall has a GoFundMe page to help her: https://www.thewrap.com/shelley-duvall-fundraising-campaign-launched-stanley-kubrick-daughter/

Apparently a Dr Phil appearance has caused concern. Probably certifiable now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tracy said:

^ Very old news at this point. She returned to acting this year.

Shite.

I saw that it had been posted or updated 8 hours ago, didn't check the date on The Wrap story.  Apologies.

She'll turn her toes up next year, knowing my ability to spot potential cadavers.

Film and television actor Pedro Miguel Arce, known for his roles in Land of the Dead and Get Rich or Die Tryin', died at 46 years:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3743409/land-of-the-dead-actor-pedro-miguel-arce-has-passed-away-at-46/

He appeared in How I Met Your Mother and CSI: Miami and he acted also in the film Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, which starred starlet Lindsay Lohan.

• Like 8

Laura June Williams (IMDb), child actress from 30s who appeared in Our Gang series dead at 91

Laura June Williams

• Like 1

On 13/10/2022 at 21:44, Ulitzer95 said:

Just a couple of months until TCM Remembers 2022 drops. Thought I'd do a run through thus far of who I think will definitely appear, and some possible inclusions.

Ordered by date of death since the last tribute released on December 21, 2022...

Dead certs

Sally Ann Howes, actress [died 2021, before tribute released but news of death came after]
Jean-Marc Vallée, director [died 2021, after tribute released]
Betty White, actress [died 2021, after tribute released]
Max Julien, actor
Peter Bogdanovich, director
Sidney Poitier, actor
Marilyn Bergman, songwriter
Dwayne Hickman, actor
Yvette Mimieux, actress
Hardy Krüger, actor
Gaspard Ulliel, actor
Meat Loaf, singer / actor
Howard Hesseman, actor
Carleton Carpenter, actor
Monica Vitti, actress
Douglas Trumbull, director / special effects
Ivan Reitman, director
Billy Watson, actor
Sally Kellerman, actress
Conrad Janis, actor
Tony Walton, set and costume designer
Mitchell Ryan, actor
Jimmy Lydon, actor
William Hurt, actor
Paul Herman, actor
Estelle Harris, actress
Nehemiah Persoff, actor
Gilbert Gottfried, comedian / actor
Michel Bouquet, actor
Robert Morse, actor
Jacques Perrin, actor
Fred Ward, actor
June Preston, actress
Vangelis, composer
Ray Liotta, actor
Bo Hopkins, actor
Philip Baker Hall, actor
Jean-Louis Trintignant, actor
Joe Turkel, actor
Lenny Von Dohlen, actor
James Caan, actor
Tony Sirico, actor
Larry Storch, actor
L. Q. Jones, actor
Bob Rafelson, director
David Warner, actor
Paul Sorvino, actor
Mary Alice, actress
Bernard Cribbins, actor
Pat Carroll, actress
Nichelle Nichols, actress
Clu Gulager, actor
Olivia Newton-John, singer / actress
Anne Heche, actress
Manuel Ojeda, actor
Wolfgang Petersen, director / producer
Virginia Patton, actress
Marsha Hunt, actress
Jean-Luc Godard, director / screenwriter
Irene Papas, actress
Henry Silva, actor
Louise Fletcher, actress
Venetia Stevenson, actress
Joan Hotchkis, actress
Sacheen Littlefeather, actress (I would be genuinely surprised to see her featured now given she has since been exposed as a fraud)
Austin Stoker, actor
Michael Callan, actor
Angela Lansbury, actress
Robbie Coltrane, actor
Leslie Phillips, actor
Mickey Kuhn, actor
Irene Cara, actress / singer
Mylène Demongeot, actress
Kirstie Alley, actress
Angelo Badalamenti, composer
Stuart Margolin, actor

Possible inclusions

Joan Copeland, actress
Bob Saget, comedian / actor
Michel Subor, actor
Louie Anderson, comedian / actor
Mace Neufeld, producer
Robert Wall, actor
Chor Yuen, director / actor
Anna Karen, actress
Alan Ladd Jr., industry executive
Tim Cosidine, actor
Akira Takarada, actor
Jimmy Wang Yu, actor
Rae Allen, actress
James Olson, actor
Kenneth Tsang, actor
Joanna Barnes, actress
Andra Martin, actress
Faye Marlowe, actress
Kenneth Welsh, actor
Dennis Waterman, actor
Linda Lawson, actress
Maureen Arthur, actress
Artie Kane, composer / conductor
Peter Brook, director
Gregory Itzin, actor
Burt Metcalfe, actor
John Steiner, actor
Roger E. Mosley, actor
Gene LeBell, stuntman
Leon Vitali, actor
William Reynolds, actor
Ralph Eggleston, animator
Jack Ging, actor
Coolio, rapper / actor
Eileen Ryan, actress
Ted White, stuntman / actor
Ron Masak, actor
Leslie Jordan, actor
Andrew Prine, actor
Douglas McGrath, director/screenwriter
Robert Clary, actor
Gray Frederickson, producer
Cliff Emmich, actor
Clarence Gilyard, actor
Brad William Henke, actor
Julia Reichert, director
Albert Brenner, production designer

Will add to it over the next 6 weeks and hopefully I'll get most right. Anyone I've missed?

Time to revisit this.

TCM Remembers 2022 will drop between now and 23rd December.

There are 122 names above (123 if you include Littlefeather who I think will now be removed). Most inclusions in their annual tribute is generally about 90 names. Will be interesting to see who does and doesn't make the cut.

No doubt there will be another couple of big names drop in the last fortnight of 2022, but if they die within the last week they won't be included until next year.

Anyone we've missed?

Bob McGrath could be included since he did appear in the Sesame Street film Follow That Bird

• Like 1