Guest IYG

Hollywood Possibilities

Tom Wilkinson, British actor and Academy Award nominee, dead aged 75. Appeared in The Full MontyBatman BeginsSelma, Rush Hour, In The Bedroom and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel amongst others.

Obituaries: The IndependentThe TelegraphDaily Mail, The GuardianThe SunMetroDaily Mirror and BBC.

• Like 6
  • Sad 19
  • Shocked 5

What a brilliant actor 

That's a loss.

• Like 1

Not heard a sniff about him being ill. Very sad, excellent in everything I've seen him in, from Batman Begins to The Kennedys to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and much much more in between. Rest in Peace, Tom.

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not heard a sniff about him being ill. Very sad, excellent in everything I've seen him in, from Batman Begins to The Kennedys to The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and much much more in between. Rest in Peace, Tom.

Not a sniff but those obituaries came remarkably fast given how detailed they all were. Either the news was given by the family with an embargo for 5.00pm or it was a well kept secret.

• Like 1

Just now, Thatcher said:

Not a sniff but those obituaries came remarkably fast given how detailed they all were. Either the news was given by the family with an embargo for 5.00pm or it was a well kept secret.

Must of been fairly short illness if so.  Looked fine in Full Monty series.  That said he’s not done much since 2018

So saddd, RIP

3 minutes ago, tomarse said:

Looked fine in Full Monty series.

Was it filmed pre-pandemic?

24 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Tom Wilkinson, British actor and Academy Award nominee, dead aged 75. Appeared in The Full MontyBatman BeginsSelma, Rush Hour, In The Bedroom and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel amongst others.

Obituaries: The IndependentDaily MailThe SunMetroDaily Mirror and BBC.

The Lone Ranger, Shakespeare in Love, Michael Clayton, Belle, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Duplicity

14 minutes ago, tomarse said:

Must of been fairly short illness if so.  Looked fine in Full Monty series.  That said he’s not done much since 2018

BBC News article confirms he died "suddenly" at his home this morning whilst with his family. Bit vague. That could mean a short cancer battle, could mean he collapsed from a heart attack.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Comped said:

Was it filmed pre-pandemic?

Nah last year I think 

Very underrated and solid actor. I've seen a lot of his movies and most recently Dead in a Week or Your Money Back, out of which he was the only bearable part.

54 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

The news channels and papers pre prepare obituaries on every living celeb, they have a huge database of obituaries pre prepared incase that person dies 

• Thanks 1

Surprising and awful news. I was just watching him in Batman Begins the other night. Great film. RIP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Surprising and awful news. I was just watching him in Batman Begins the other night. Great film. RIP

Me too, on Italia 1. Are you in Italy?

3 minutes ago, drol said:

Me too, on Italia 1. Are you in Italy?

I am italian, but i live in Germany. I watched it on Blu-Ray.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

I am italian, but i live in Germany. I watched it on Blu-Ray.

That's a big coincidence as Italia 1 has broadcasted the whole trilogy these days, as it does almost every year in this period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

That's a big coincidence as Italia 1 has broadcasted the whole trilogy these days, as it does almost every year in this period.

Such Christmassy films as they are! :lol: Then again, Channel 4 in the UK are broadcasting The Godfather Trilogy across consecutive nights this week: Coda (Part III Director's Cut) is on tonight.

1 hour ago, BonScott said:

The news channels and papers pre prepare obituaries on every living celeb, they have a huge database of obituaries pre prepared incase that person dies 

True, and I nearly made that point (although I am certain Thatcher is well aware of that fact). I think the point was more that it didn't really seem to break as breaking news usually does (with a very brief initial story later expanded), the news items seem to fall fully formed straight away, as if they'd been pre-written and published at a pre-arranged time. Hard to say whether there's anything to it, but it does seem very well prepared for a "sudden" and - one might suggest - relatively unexpected death (he's always seemed pretty healthy and 75 isn't a death sentence the way it once was). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

True, and I nearly made that point (although I am certain Thatcher is well aware of that fact). I think the point was more that it didn't really seem to break as breaking news usually does (with a very brief initial story later expanded), the news items seem to fall fully formed straight away, as if they'd been pre-written and published at a pre-arranged time. Hard to say whether there's anything to it, but it does seem very well prepared for a "sudden" and - one might suggest - relatively unexpected death (he's always seemed pretty healthy and 75 isn't a death sentence the way it once was). 

Or it could be a bunch of folks working quickly on the weekend...

9 minutes ago, Comped said:

Or it could be a bunch of folks working quickly on the weekend...

Faster than they usually work, that's for sure.

• Like 1