totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

Report that Dick Biondi, American platter spinner generally given the honour of being the first US DJ to play a Beatles record on air, has died aged 90: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/legendary-chicago-disc-jockey-dick-biondi-dies-at-90/3178449/

That single was the Vee-Jay pressing of Please Please Me which Biondi was reported to have played on his show in February 1963, with the misspelled "Beattles" credit.

• Like 3

Times obit for Norman "Nobby" Pilcher (wiki), police officer famous for busting a number of high profile celebs (including most notably John Lennon and George Harrison) for drugs.

Died way back in March 2021, aged 85 from cancer, but The Times have decided to give him a late obituary now.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Times obit for Norman "Nobby" Pilcher (wiki), police officer famous for busting a number of high profile celebs (including most notably John Lennon and George Harrison) for drugs.

Died way back in March 2021, aged 85 from cancer, but The Times have decided to give him a late obituary now.

Man planted drugs to try and imprison many famous musicians (including, as you noted, half the Beatles)... Eejit.

Times Obit for Peter Pilbeam, BBC radio producer who gave The Beatles their first radio audition and broadcast in March 1962, while Pete Best was still their drummer: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/peter-pilbeam-obituary-l7lffhj7q

He did not like McCartney, preferring Lennon as a vocalist. He was offered shares in the group, which he turned down flat, a decision he came to regret.

• Like 1

Thought it was worth mentioning some of the members of the Quarrymen here, as I saw them live recently.

There are seven members still living including McCartney. The band reformed back in the 90s and do occasional gigs. I saw them last month and there are only two original members performing now (banjo player Rod Davis, b. 1942, and drummer Colin Hanton, b. 1938). They mentioned on stage that John Duff Lowe (piano, b. 1942) and Len Garry (tea-chest bass, b. 1942) are too unwell to perform now. Lowe hasn't performed with the band since 2017, but Garry's retirement is new. The two other remaining members are Bill Smith (1940) and Nigel Walley (1941), neither of whom have ever joined the reformed band. Of those six, Hanton and Lowe are probably the most notable as they appeared on the Quarrymen's "That'll Be the Day" and "In Spite of All the Danger", recorded straight-to-disc at Phillips' Sound Recording Services in 1958. These are the first studio recordings of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison and appear on the Beatles' Anthology 1.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2016 at 19:10, YoungWillz said:

Report here of the death of Allan Williams, talent manager and known as the man who gave the Beatles away, aged 86. http://blog.beatlesinlondon.com/allan-williams/

Awaiting the usual confirmations.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Williams

Edit: Mark Lewisohn has confirmed in a tweet.

Allan Williams widow, Beryl Williams, reportedly dead: 

Every time I see that you've posted in here @YoungWillz, I get excited at the prospect that we've finally solved the mystery of Tommy Quickly.

• Haha 1

So, enjoyed the McCartney photography exhibition at National Portrait Gallery today - some cracking colour shots taken in Miami in 1964 including Judy Lockhart Smith who became the second Mrs George Martin. Can't see her death mentioned in this thread, or online, or am I missing summat?

22 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, enjoyed the McCartney photography exhibition at National Portrait Gallery today - some cracking colour shots taken in Miami in 1964 including Judy Lockhart Smith who became the second Mrs George Martin. Can't see her death mentioned in this thread, or online, or am I missing summat?

Couple of years ago, I did a deep dive to find anything public about her.

Ringo posted something in early 2021 sending her love. Apart from that, nothing. Going to assume she is still kicking, it would be unusual for her to die off radar.

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Couple of years ago, I did a deep dive to find anything public about her.

Ringo posted something in early 2021 sending her love. Apart from that, nothing. Going to assume she is still kicking, it would be unusual for her to die off radar.

Well, I'm with you - thinking it unusual there'd be nothing to find. Apart from anything else McCartney's picutres in the latest exhibition put her in Miami as Beatlemania first hit America, so she's part of the story, some photos are easy to find - plenty of her attending events with Sir George over the years - and she's Miles Martin's mum, so likely will get a q/o somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2019 at 14:43, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Joe Flannery, business associate of Brian Epstein and booking manager and promoter of The Beatles in their early days: https://www.beatlesstory.com/news/2019/03/28/joe-flannery-beatles-booking-manager-passes-away/

I think he was also the brother of Peter Flannery who was the Lee Curtis in Lee Curtis and The All Stars.

And now we get a report that Lee Curtis aka Peter Flannery has died: 

Lee Curtis And The All-Stars was the Merseyside band that Pete Best joined after being dissed from The Beatles.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 22:34, maryportfuncity said:

Judy Lockhart-Smith reportedly dead by an impeccable source: 

• Like 2

On 26/09/2023 at 22:34, maryportfuncity said:

I would have gone to that, but my brother went and he thought it was just a bit "eh" which is why I didn't go.

On 27/10/2023 at 17:19, YoungWillz said:

Judy Lockhart-Smith reportedly dead by an impeccable source: 

FUCK!

D'ya think I cursed her by outing her hereabouts and putting her on my long list?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

FUCK!

D'ya think I cursed her by outing her hereabouts and putting her on my long list?

Absolutely. There are some real assassins on this Forum who mention folk out of the blue and the next thing they are dead.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Absolutely. There are some real assassins on this Forum who mention folk out of the blue and the next thing they are dead.

Boris Johnson

• Haha 6

Documentary filmmaker Dick Fontaine being reported dead: 

He's the man who filmed the Fabs at the Cavern Club for their first ever TV appearance. He also covered their first US tour (though the footage was essentially nicked by Albert Maysles).

He has made many docs on jazz figures including Forum fave Sonny Rollins, but his best known work seems to be I Heard It Through The Grapevine (1982), a James Baldwin presented doc on the civil rights struggle of the Nineteen Sixties.

• Like 2

Vernon Dudley Bowhay Nowell, sometime member of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band and who was the bassist in their appearance singing Death Cab For Cutie in Magical Mystery Tour, reportedly dead: 

Now and Then:

• Like 2

Now, I love the Beatles as much as the next dementia-ridden pensioner and Liam Gallagher, but please make this infernal Frankensteination of them stop already. This song is shit, obviously, and should be locked away for another 45 years. 

• Like 2

In my quest to finally find a Beatles song I like, I gave it a chance. The search continues.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1