totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Your grasp of British geography is about as good as hers I'd imagine...

Oops that’s a bad mistake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Deadpooling, good point - I do recall about 15 years back swapping some messages with then admins hereabouts on that subject, though it'd be a difficult sell, and other subjects are easier, especially if you want something that'll double as a book and popular live gig. Showing up to a U3A group on a weekday afternoon and asking how many of them are obitable before launching into a live 45 mins plus questions on the history of dead pooling might not lead to repeat business with the same group.

Shaun Williamson wrote a book on quizzing, which has sold well. Deadpooling would not be a big stretch...

4 hours ago, Comped said:

Shaun Williamson wrote a book on quizzing, which has sold well. Deadpooling would not be a big stretch...

Not the same really, for what I can tell the UK has a pretty big quiz culture, deadpooling is a niche topic worldwide that although normal to us, it's such a morbid topic to other people that might be really tough to sell. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Question one would be down largely to the publishers - Gonzo Multimedia, the book was 2016 so they probably should have gone there. 

Deadpooling, good point - I do recall about 15 years back swapping some messages with then admins hereabouts on that subject, though it'd be a difficult sell, and other subjects are easier, especially if you want something that'll double as a book and popular live gig. Showing up to a U3A group on a weekday afternoon and asking how many of them are obitable before launching into a live 45 mins plus questions on the history of dead pooling might not lead to repeat business with the same group.

I'm a member of my local U3A and that's not as daft as it sounds, in the last year we've lost 2 members who got a write up, one wrote for The Scotsman and had a full page Obit and the other was a Lib/Dem Candidate at last 2 Scottish Elections and got Obit in Daily Record

52 minutes ago, justonecornetto said:

I'm a member of my local U3A and that's not as daft as it sounds, in the last year we've lost 2 members who got a write up, one wrote for The Scotsman and had a full page Obit and the other was a Lib/Dem Candidate at last 2 Scottish Elections and got Obit in Daily Record

Exactly, and these days there's sense in writing books you can get out and promote in front of a live crowd - so if I did a U3A, asked who was obitable and started taking notes before talking I'd likely be bottled off. 

Can't see the easy crowd who would lap up a history of dead pooling as a live gig, frankly. 

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Caroline Buckman, viola player on the new Beatles' single "Now and Then", dead at 48 from cancer.

Times obit

• Like 5
  • Shocked 3

On 20/05/2019 at 13:16, torbrexbones said:

Just been listening to 1985 from the Band On The Run album and it got me wondering who will be last man standing of the remaining members of the album cover photo. There are still 5 left at the moment so more than half left.

If the news of Denny Laine's demise is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) there's not many left. Kenny Lynch, Michael Parkinson and now Denny all gone since the above. :(

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

If the news of Denny Laine's demise is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) there's not many left. Kenny Lynch, Michael Parkinson and now Denny all gone since the above. :(

Just Paul, Linda and John Conteh left. He must be feeling nervous!

1 minute ago, Sly Ronnie said:

FTFY.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Not only is Linda not alive anymore, but she’s been that way for the past 25 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Of course I forgot she's been dead like 25 years!! Maybe she lives on in my heart! :smoking-smiley:

John Conteh will definitely be worried now!

• Haha 1

On 14/11/2022 at 14:34, YoungWillz said:

Mike McCartney took the first ever colour photo of the Quarrymen including John Paul and George at a wedding reception at his aunt's house. That photo includes one Dennis Littler, a friend of Ian Harris who was the McCartney's cousin, and Dennis has now died: Mike McCartney on Twitter: "Sad to hear that the luvly lad on the right in my ‘John, Paul, George &..Dennis!’ photo has just passed away. At least he will now be able to say High to George & Johnny RIP Den (Littler)  https://t.co/wNSOMi7no1" / Twitter

Mike McCartney spent his 80th birthday in hospital but has been discharged now. Mike also had an open heart surgery last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arghton said:

Mike McCartney spent his 80th birthday in hospital but has been discharged now. Mike also had an open heart surgery last year.

For you young 'uns - btw - if Mike McCartney's health problems bring him into dead pool reckoning he has enough of a CV of his own to be q/o worthy as more than a Beatle brother/hanger on. He'll get write ups in the tabloids and broadsheets on the back - at least - of his time in The Scaffold and their one stonking #1 hit Lily the Pink

• Like 2

I liked this one better.

Actual title was "Thank U Very Much"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

I liked this one better.

Actual title was "Thank U Very Much"

Aye, though Mike McCartney/McGear's broadsheet obits will likely talk about this lost classic of an album. A Wings album in all but name and Macca's attempt to haul his brother's solo career to a significant level. Actually had it featured on one of my radio shows four years back when the mega-reissue came out. Macca even played a bit of a game with Warner Brothers, who'd signed McGear, the label clearly thinking by giving McGear a decent budget and publicity help they might snag Macca as a solo artist when his EMI contract ran out (they didn't!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGear

• Like 1

A new video from Ringo outlining his proposed activity for 2024. He doesn't appear to be slowing down and he looks and sounds amazing for an 83 year old 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

A new video from Ringo outlining his proposed activity for 2024. He doesn't appear to be slowing down and he looks and sounds amazing for an 83 year old 

He has his own thread but ta anyway.

X/Twitter reporting the death of Quarrymen member John Duff Lowe.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

X/Twitter reporting the death of Quarrymen member John Duff Lowe.

No Billy Preston, but sad news nonethless. RIP.

3 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Whoops - it’s all on his wife’s FB page.

Ok. For those of us not on FB, we ain't getting to read it, sadly. The pics there don't look great though.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ok. For those of us not on FB, we ain't getting to read it, sadly. The pics there don't look great though.

I'm on Facebook and I can't see her status updates either so it's related to her privacy settings. 

• Like 1