Jump to content
lospalmas7

30. Pope Benedict XVI

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Toast said:

 

I've remembered who this was now.  Not a king, but a soldier. 

Bertrand Du Guesclin

 

image.png.9ec1584cd9f26e8e84a01a0d858d0baf.png

 

Don't ask how I know this.  :unsure:

I studied him in my medieval class this year : I never thought someone else would know his name out of my class ! Impressive:champagne: 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in Vatican.

To be honest doesn't look so bad to me

former-pope-benedict-xvi-poses-for-a-pic

june-2020-bavaria-freising-the-emeritus-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mercarte said:

Back in Vatican.

To be honest doesn't look so bad to me

former-pope-benedict-xvi-poses-for-a-pic

june-2020-bavaria-freising-the-emeritus-

that watch !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Georg's demise should not be so imminent or he would have remained for the funeral. Or he just sucked the evil out of him like in The Green Mile and then came back.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mercarte said:

Back in Vatican.

To be honest doesn't look so bad to me

former-pope-benedict-xvi-poses-for-a-pic

june-2020-bavaria-freising-the-emeritus-

Indeed. Looking relatively well for a man of 93 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dick van Dyke or Prince Philip look way better than that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Dick van Dyke or Prince Philip look way better than that

As Vera Lynn also did.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WEP said:

As Vera Lynn also did.:rolleyes:

As did Nicholas Parsons, went from perfectly  fine to ill to dead in a matter of weeks.

 

But Prince Phillip isn't being wheeled around, which makes me think he has a little longer left than Benedict. My prediction for Prince Phillip is that he will die weeks short of turning 100. On the other hand, if Benedict is too elderly to walk then surely he cannot have much life left in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

As did Nicholas Parsons, went from perfectly  fine to ill to dead in a matter of weeks*.

 

But Prince Phillip isn't being wheeled around, which makes me think he has a little longer left than Benedict. My prediction for Prince Phillip is that he will die weeks short of turning 100. On the other hand, if Benedict is too elderly to walk then surely he cannot have much life left in him.

 

*in a matter of months to be accurate. He took ill at the Fringe in August, and died in January, and there was news about how ill he'd been (he needed a massive blood tranfussion just to see September) which told he wasn't long for the world. Several of us mentioned this on forum but the DL didn't bring him back, electing for Lester Piggot and John Edrich instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, msc said:

 

*in a matter of months to be accurate. He took ill at the Fringe in August, and died in January, and there was news about how ill he'd been (he needed a massive blood tranfussion just to see September) which told he wasn't long for the world. Several of us mentioned this on forum but the DL didn't bring him back, electing for Lester Piggot and John Edrich instead.

I swear he was still well enough to do JAM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I swear he was still well enough to do JAM.

 

The last Just a Minute series with Nicholas was recorded circa April or May 2019. They record a whole bunch in a day or two. This was the series broadcast last October. They were meant to record more in September/October 2019 but he was ill, hence the season of repeats on the radio towards the end of last year/start of this. He had hoped in November to be well enough by March 2020 to record more, but then he had to cancel all public appearances set for December after he took ill again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, msc said:

 

The last Just a Minute series with Nicholas was recorded circa April or May 2019. They record a whole bunch in a day or two. This was the series broadcast last October. They were meant to record more in September/October 2019 but he was ill, hence the season of repeats on the radio towards the end of last year/start of this. He had hoped in November to be well enough by March 2020 to record more, but then he had to cancel all public appearances set for December after he took ill again.

Interesting... Did not know they prerecorded so ahead of time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Breaking News: His brother Georg Ratzinger died today, one week after Benedikt visited him:

https://www.bild.de/politik/2020/politik/georg-ratzinger-ist-tot-papst-bruder-stirbt-nach-langer-krankheit-in-regensburg-71618458.bild.html

If it was corona related we could be close to a Papal death ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he didn't look THAT close to death, so it had to be something more than general weakness, i.e. cancer. Let's see. I can't check german sources right now, but maybe later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 13:42, drol said:

So Georg's demise should not be so imminent or he would have remained for the funeral. Or he just sucked the evil out of him like in The Green Mile and then came back.

We now know his demise was fairly imminent after all ! That means Pope Benedict was desperate to make the trip no matter how poor his own health was/is. 

 

Will be interesting to see if Benedict makes another trip for the funeral.If not it proves he is very frail and weak and might not be far off the end himself...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

If it was corona related we could be close to a Papal death ! 

Yes, and they would have let pope Benedict visit him if it was coronavirus.

 

Anyway on a more serious note, I think it was congestive heart failure rather than cancer, Georg had suffered from heart failure since at least 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just joking about the corona virus thing !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His brother was obviously frail for a very long time, that's him sitting right to Benedict at his 90th birthday (Benedict was obviously in better health then): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxf1vihTSo8

 

But since they share a lot of the same genes it could mean that Benedict could also survive with frail health for a long time. Benedict in 2020 does not look yet as bad as his brother three years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/07/2020 at 12:09, CoffinLodger said:

 

 

Will be interesting to see if Benedict makes another trip for the funeral.If not it proves he is very frail and weak and might not be far off the end himself...

He didn't go to the funeral- he watched it on the internet ! https://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2020/retired-pope-benedict-follows-his-brothers-funeral-virtually.cfm What does that tell us about his condition I wonder..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/07/2020 at 07:53, CoffinLodger said:

He didn't go to the funeral- he watched it on the internet ! https://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2020/retired-pope-benedict-follows-his-brothers-funeral-virtually.cfm What does that tell us about his condition I wonder..

Or the risk of travelling back again to the funeral was not worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very frail and suffering from an infection on his face. The journalist who visited him said he was barely able to speak and his health reportedly deteriorated after his trip to Germany. 

 

Still it is also said the pope is confident in his own recovery. I will post a link later but it is all over the foreign press. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, drol said:

Very frail and suffering from an infection on his face. The journalist who visited him said he was barely able to speak and his health reportedly deteriorated after his trip to Germany. 

 

Still it is also said the pope is confident in his own recovery. I will post a link later but it is all over the foreign press. 

 

 

 

I found this on Twitter. 

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use