Guest Death List Watcher

George Bush Senior

Last jump!

I was having a mind numbing conversation with a work colleague recently who in a conversation confused Prince Philip with Prince Charles which got me thinking when George H.W Bush dies how many people will confuse him with his son ?Seeing as they are both former Presidents and have the same name I`m sure a lot of people will be caught out as many won`t know the number of either`s presidency.(Of course if George W departs first this won`t be an issue!)

I was having a mind numbing conversation with a work colleague recently who in a conversation confused Prince Philip with Prince Charles which got me thinking when George H.W Bush dies how many people will confuse him with his son ?Seeing as they are both former Presidents and have the same name I`m sure a lot of people will be caught out as many won`t know the number of either`s presidency.(Of course if George W departs first this won`t be an issue!)

I'll bet you have a lot of mind numbing conversations.

When at work yes !You can only have as good a conversation as the other persons intellect will account for and I work in an inbred town !

• Like 1

I wonder if he is determined to see his son's presidential campaign in 2016...

And I've been planning to leave him and Gorby off my 50 name list! The 25 name carry over rule is a though one this year. Think I had better start adding "in and out of hospital" points to his totals, and reorder my list again.

Very upset with myself for not revising Joe Cocker upwards into next year's list provisional entries from a 130 long named standby list.

Maybe he will do a Barack Obama`s gran and die days before the election.I believe H.W Bush`s mother died soon before her son lost the presidency in 1993.I am not sure he will go in the next year as he looks pretty good for 90 and this hospitalization is "precautionary" which means there probably isn't too much concern over his health in camp Bush.Definately a keeper for next year`s DL though-Far too big a figure to miss much like Phil the Greek and Castro.

• Like 2

Maybe he will do a Barack Obama`s gran and die days before the election.I believe H.W Bush`s mother died soon before her son lost the presidency in 1993.I am not sure he will go in the next year as he looks pretty good for 90 and this hospitalization is "precautionary" which means there probably isn't too much concern over his health in camp Bush.Definately a keeper for next year`s DL though-Far too big a figure to miss much like Phil the Greek and Castro.

In truth iffens it be known....and I feel that being the yuletide season it should be, Dorothy Walker Bush perished on November the 19th of 1992 a mere matter of days after her beloved eldest son had lost the election. She was 91 and some odd months at the time, which may be a sign that young Georgie (H.W.) could hang on at least another year and wouldn't that be lovely?

If George does doff his cap before the 2016 elections, it might prove the ammo needed to give Jebby a win (we Americans are often known to give sympathy votes...and other than the frighteningly scary look of McCain/Palin in '08, the passing of Barack H. Obama's grandmama (Madlyn Dunham...the lady who mostly raised young Barack) on November 2 of 2008 might have added to the lead Mr.Obama had in the election (that and that people were tired of George W. Bush by then and hence Republicans in general).

Sure hope Jebbers wins, he has nice hair.

We are approaching that ominous date of December 26th, the day that two former Presidents have died, Harry Truman at age 88 in 1972 and the longest lived former President Gerald Ford at age 93 in 2006. George Bush doesn't appear to be in anywhere near as bad a condition as they were on their last Christmas days but given he was hospitalized on Christmas just two years ago and is again this year it seems there is something about the holidays and former Presidents. The only day in which three former Presidents have died is providentially July 4th, both John Adams (90) and Thomas Jefferson (83) in 1826 and James Monroe in 1831 (73).

http://en.wikipedia....y_date_of_death

• Like 1

George HW Bush has now reached the lifespan of John Adams, 90 years and 247 days, the only US Presidents that lived longer were Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan. On June 6th Jimmy Carter will reach John Adams' lifespan and at that time the four longest lived US Presidents would be immediate successors to each other and are or were alive for at least part of the 21st Century (in order of service but not longevity); Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and George HW Bush.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States_by_age

Reagan hadn't a clue how old he was when he got to 90, mind. Bush is in way better shape. Looking at Obama's nifty moves in that viral video this week and his reputed exercise regime, he may defy dead poolers for many years to come.

Curious.

Wealthy black male v wealthy white male v wealthy mixed race male.

Life expectancy is greater for which demographic ?

Today Jimmy Carter has surpassed the lifespan of John Adams of 90 years and 247 days. This now means that the four longest living Presidents in order are:

1. Gerald Ford; July 14, 1913-December 26, 2006; 93 years, 165 days

2. Ronald Reagan; February 6, 1911-June 5, 2004; 93 years, 120 days

3. George H.W. Bush; June 12, 1924-still living; 90 years, 359 days

4. Jimmy Carter; October 1, 1924-still living; 90 years 248 days

This is significant because the four longest lived U.S. Presidents served consecutively to each other from 1974-1993, each have lived longer than every President from George Washington to Richard Nixon, they each lived into the 21st Century, and two of them (George HW Bush and Jimmy Carter) are still alive. Also we are now in the second period in history that two 90+ year old Presidents were alive at once, the first period was between July 13, 2003 (Gerald Ford's 90th birthday) and June 5, 2004 (Ronald Reagan's death). On October 1, 2014 Jimmy Carter turned 90 and joined George HW as the other living President who turned 90 on June 12, 2014.

This is relevant to George HW Bush because I think Jimmy Carter has a better shot of beating Gerald Ford's record. I think George HW might die while Obama is still President and his death anytime between now and the 2016 election could very well change the trajectory of the entire election cycle. Let me explain, George HW's death I think would help Jeb Bush's Presidential prospects especially if the elder Bush's death is before the Republican nomination is wrapped up by anyone. A Presidential death always brings about glowing praise and platitudes for the deceased President and it will distract from the negative memories that people have of Jeb Bush's brother George W Bush. There will be all this talk of how George HW Bush was a great President of the late 80's/early 90's, the cold war technically ended during his Presidency, he is a moderate, etc. etc. AND most importantly the pundits will say that Jeb is more like his father than his brother. In this scenario it could be the first time a Presidential death changes the trajectory of a Presidential election.

• Like 2

This is significant because the four longest lived U.S. Presidents served consecutively to each other from 1974-1993, each have lived longer than every President from George Washington to Richard Nixon, they each lived into the 21st Century, and two of them (George HW Bush and Jimmy Carter) are still alive. Also we are now in the second period in history that two 90+ year old Presidents were alive at once, the first period was between July 13, 2003 (Gerald Ford's 90th birthday) and June 5, 2004 (Ronald Reagan's death). On October 1, 2014 Jimmy Carter turned 90 and joined George HW as the other living President who turned 90 on June 12, 2014.

The best meaning I can glean from this, is that the chance that white American males live in their 90s has increased dramatically after WWII, when they have access to the best health care money can buy. This probably reflects the improvements made in said health care.

Happy 91st, Bush-old-boy! :birthday:

Senior may have had his ups and downs, but at least he wasn't as bad as Junior...

and potentially the dynasty might get another shot at the top job.

• Like 1

Bush v Clinton II, what a depressing prospect...

• Like 3

Bush v Clinton II, what a depressing prospect...

and potentially the dynasty might get another shot at the top job.

Maybe not. There are a lot of contenders for the Republican nomination... Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum, Rand Paul to name a few with the biggest shots... not as obvious as with the Democrats, where Hillary Clinton is definitely going to get the nomination.

Also, maybe it's time to make a thread for the 2016 election in extra-curricular?