VileBody

Astronauts

Guest Aussienaut

The Mercury program was the first manned space effort by the United States. Of the 7 original astronauts, only 3 are still alive today.

Dead

• L. Gordon Cooper :rip:(natural causes) Mar 6th, 1927 - Oct 4th, 2004
  • Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom :rip:(Apollo I accident) Mar 3rd, 1926 – Jan 27th, 1967
  • Alan B. Shepard Jr. :rip:(cancer) Nov 18th, 1923 – July 21st, 1998
  • Donald K. "Deke" Slayton :rip:(cancer) Mar 1st, 1924 – Jun 13th, 1993

Alive

• Scott Carpenter – born May 1st, 1925
  • Walter H. "Wally" Schirra Jr - born Mar 12th, 1923
  • Senator John Glenn – born Jul 18th, 1921

Our Russian readers will probably disagree with the significance of the Mercury program, as they were the first ones to have a manned mission into space.

Regards,

ff :)

Yes, would be interesting to see how many first generation cosmonauts are still around.

As for Armstrong, obviously a significant figure in world history but the fact he planted aUS flag up there instead of a UN one means I don't have much respect for him. :(

Probably the biggest death of the year. RIP.

I agree at this point in time (unless someone even bigger dies ) and anyone who says any different well they're notaguest.

Like Clive Dunn?

• Like 1

I agree at this point in time (unless someone even bigger dies ) and anyone who says any different well they're notaguest.

Like Clive Dunn?

clive dunn and death don't mix ,death doesn't even wanna go there. Though I think on the deathlist forums his death would be bigger than armstrong's.

What about if Kerry Katona died. That is bound to be on the news channels all over the world :-)

I have actually never heard of Kerry Katona being reported on here in the US.

The only person that I think could overshadow Armstrong is Muhammad Ali.

Edited by angryGreatness

The Mercury program was the first manned space effort by the United States. Of the 7 original astronauts, only 3 are still alive today.

Dead

• Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom :rip:(Apollo I accident) Mar 3rd, 1926 – Jan 27th, 1967

Alive

Our Russian readers will probably disagree with the significance of the Mercury program, as they were the first ones to have a manned mission into space.

Regards,

Yes, would be interesting to see how many first generation cosmonauts are still around.

As for Armstrong, obviously a significant figure in world history but the fact he planted aUS flag up there instead of a UN one means I don't have much respect for him. :(

But the US footed the bill so....

What about if Kerry Katona died. That is bound to be on the news channels all over the world :-)

Or Carter and Bush Senior.

Their deaths wouldn't be as momentous, only a leader like Mandela would get more coverage, or someone the level of Queen Elizabeth or the Pope

You never heard of kerry katona that woman has achieved more than some of us can ever dream of.

I see people on twitter saying ''Neil Armstrong walked on the moon what have you done'' .

I counter that in favour of kerry by saying '' advertised value food for iceland what have you done'' .

OK, post 5000. Neil Armstrong dies. Deepest sympathies and My Apollo-gies go to his family. Buzz Aldrin released a statment which read "Well, I'm glad that bastard went first this time."

I could make a joke about Neil Armstrong dying, but that's just one small step too far.

• Like 4

Their deaths wouldn't be as momentous, only a leader like Mandela would get more coverage, or someone the level of Queen Elizabeth or the Pope

Carter/Bush/Thatcher probably wouldn't be the same because at they are probably loved only by about half of their respective countries. If Bush died for example, the Republicans will be sad, the Democrats probably wouldn't care much, and everyone overseas wouldn't care that deeply at all.

Armstrong is different because he was a hero not only to most Americans, but to all of the world. The only others I would say could come close would be the Queen, the Pope, Muhammad Ali, and maybe Nelson Mandela.

There are others, such as Fidel Castro and Hosni Mubarak, who would be a bigger deal but would have nowhere near as much grief.

I think if Chuck Norris died it would be bigger news. But then, Chuck Norris will not succumb to death - Death will succumb to Chuck Norris.

• Like 2

Carter/Bush/Thatcher probably wouldn't be the same because at they are probably loved only by about half of their respective countries. If Bush died for example, the Republicans will be sad, the Democrats probably wouldn't care much, and everyone overseas wouldn't care that deeply at all.

Armstrong is different because he was a hero not only to most Americans, but to all of the world. The only others I would say could come close would be the Queen, the Pope, Muhammad Ali, and maybe Nelson Mandela.

There are others, such as Fidel Castro and Hosni Mubarak, who would be a bigger deal but would have nowhere near as much grief.

Castro's passing would be a pretty big deal, certainly would send most of Central and South America into collective mourning. Mubarak wouldn't be such a big deal, given that he is no longer in power and has never been as iconic a figure as Castro

Dead

Alive

Regards,

Bloody imperialist. :( As for cosmonauts, well the Commies were just as bad as the Americans (two sides of the same coin) but I'll put together a list of Soviet spacemen anyway. It is quiet at work this morning so I can hopefully do it over the next few hours. Stay tuned...

Okay, this is all based on Wikipedia, which I completely distrust these days so let the reader beware...

Here are the early cosmonauts who flew on missions up to the Soyuz 11 disaster in June 1971, by which time the space race was over anyway, after the

Mission Crew

Vostok 1 Yuri Gargarin (dead)

Vostok 2 Gherman Titov (dead)

Vostok 3 Andriyan Nikolayev (dead)

Vostok 4 Pavel Popovich (dead)

Vostok 5 Valery Bykovsky (born 1934)

Vostok 6 Valentina Tereshkova (born 1937)

Voskhod 1 Vladimir Komarov (dead), Konstantin Feoktistov (dead), Boris Yegorov (dead)

Voskhod 2 Pavel Belyayev (dead), Alexey Leonov (born 1934)

Soyuz 1 Vladimir Komarov (dead)

Soyuz 3 Georgy Beregovoy (dead)

Soyuz 4 Vladimir Shatalov (born 1927)

Soyuz 5 Boris Volynov (born 1934), Aleksei Yeliseyev (born 1934), Yevgeny Khrunov (dead)

Soyuz 6 Georgy Shonin (dead), Valeri Kubasov (born 1935)

Soyuz 7 Anatoly Filipchenko (born 1938), Vladislav Volkov (dead), Viktor Gorbatko (born 1934)

Soyuz 8 Vladimir Shatalov (born 1927), Aleksei Yeliseyev (born 1934)

Soyuz 9 Andriyan Nikolayev (dead), Vitaly Sevastyanov (dead)

Soyuz 10 Vladimir Shatalov (born 1927), Aleksei Yeliseyev (born 1934), Nikolay Rukavishnikov (dead)

Soyuz 11 Georgy Dobrovolsky (dead), Viktor Patsayev (dead), Vladislav Volkov (dead)

I might do later Soyuz missions in my next post.

Here are the Soyuz crews from 1973 to 1986 (which was the year of the Challenger disaster and also of Soyuz T-15, the first mission to the brand sparkling new Mir space station).That should hopefully redress the balance in this way too US-centric thread:

Soyuz 12 Vasily Lazarev (dead), Oleg Grigoryevich Makarov (dead)

Soyuz 13 Valentin Lebedev (born 1942), Pyotr Klimuk (born 1942)

Soyuz 14 Pyotr Klimuk (dead), Pavel Popovich (dead)

Soyuz 15 Lev Dyomin (dead), Gennadi Sarafanov (dead)

Soyuz 16 Anatoly Filipchenko (born 1928), Nikolay Rukavishnikov (dead)

Soyuz 17 Georgy Grechko (born 1928), Aleksei Gubarev (born 1931)

Soyuz 18a Vasily Lazarev (dead), Oleg Grigoryevich Makarov (dead)

Soyuz 18 Pyotr Klimuk (born 1942), Vitaly Sevastyanov (dead)

Soyuz 19 Alexey Leonov (born 1934), Valeri Kubasov (born 1935)

Soyuz 21 Boris Volynov (born 1934), Vitaly Zholobov (born 1937)

Soyuz 22 Valery Bykovsky (born 1934), Vladimir Aksyonov (born 1935)

Soyuz 23 Vyacheslav Zudov (born 1942), Valery Rozhdestvensky (dead)

Soyuz 24 Viktor Gorbatko (born 1934), Yury Glazkov (dead)

Soyuz 25 Vladimir Kovalyonok (born 1942), Valery Ryumin (born 1939)

Soyuz 26 Georgy Grechko (born 1931), Yury Romanenko (born 1944)

Soyuz 27 Vladimir Dzhanibekov (born 1942), Oleg Grigoryevich Makarov (dead)

Soyuz 28 Aleksei Gubarev (born 1931), Vladimír Remek (born 1948)

Soyuz 29 Vladimír Remek (born 1942), Aleksandr Ivanchenkov (born 1940)

Soyuz 30 Pyotr Klimuk (born 1942), Mirosław Hermaszewski (born 1941)

Soyuz 31 Valery Bykovsky (born 1934), Sigmund Jähn (born 1937)

Soyuz 32 Vladimir Lyakhov (born 1941), Valery Ryumin (born 1939)

Soyuz 33 Nikolay Rukavishnikov (dead), Georgi Ivanov (born 1940)

Soyuz 35 Leonid Popov (born 1945), Valery Ryumin (born 1939)

Soyuz 36 Valeri Kubasov (born 1935), Bertalan Farkas (born 1949)

Soyuz T-2 Vladimir Aksyonov (born 1935), Yury Vasilyevich Malyshev (dead)

Soyuz 37 Viktor Gorbatko (born 1934), Pham Tuan (born 1947)

Soyuz 38 Yury Romanenko (born 1944), Arnaldo Tamayo Méndez (born 1942)

Soyuz T-3 Leonid Kizim (dead), Oleg Grigoryevich Makarov (dead), Gennadi Strekalov (dead)

Soyuz T-4 Vladimir Kovalyonok (born 1942), Viktor Savinykh (born 1940)

Soyuz 39 Vladimir Dzhanibekov (born 1942), Gürragchaa Jügderdemidiin (born 1947)

Soyuz 40 Leonid Popov (born 1945), Dumitru Prunariu (born 1952)

Soyuz T-5 Anatoly Berezovoy (born 1942), Valentin Lebedev (born 1942)

Soyuz T-6 Vladimir Dzhanibekov (born 1942), Aleksandr Ivanchenkov (born 1940), Jean-Loup Chrétien (born 1938)

Soyuz T-7 Leonid Popov (born 1945), Aleksandr Serebrov (born 1944), Svetlana Savitskaya (born 1948)

Soyuz T-8 Vladimir Titov (born 1947), Gennadi Strekalov (dead), Aleksandr Serebrov (born 1944)

Soyuz T-9 Vladimir Lyakhov (born 1941), Aleksandr Pavlovich Aleksandrov (born 1943)

Soyuz T-10-1 Vladimir Titov (born 1947), Gennadi Strekalov (dead)

Soyuz T-10 Leonid Kizim (dead), Vladimir Solovyov (born 1946), Oleg Atkov (born 1949)

Soyuz T-11 Yury Vasilyevich Malyshev (born 1941), Gennadi Strekalov (dead), Rakesh Sharma (born 1949)

Soyuz T-12 Vladimir Dzhanibekov (born 1942), Svetlana Savitskaya (born 1948), Igor Volk (born 1937)

Soyuz T-13 Vladimir Dzhanibekov (born 1942), Viktor Savinykh (born 1940)

Soyuz T-14 Vladimir Vasyutin (born 1952), Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Volkov (born 1948), Viktor Savinykh (born 1940)

Soyuz T-15 Leonid Kizim (dead), Vladimir Solovyov (born 1946)

getting into your coffin is one small step....

It really would be one giant leap for mankind if he got out again!

We may no longer have the first man on the moon, but we still have the last - Gene Cernan...

Dead

Alive

Regards,

But the US footed the bill so....

Yes, those Nazi scientists were so expensive to buy....

Does Nick Tate who played Alan Carter,Eagle 1's pilot from Spoace 1999 count here???

Does Nick Tate who played Alan Carter,Eagle 1's pilot from Spoace 1999 count here???

Think there's a thread for old sci-fi actors isn't there?

Neil Armstrong to be buried at sea

Will it be tranquil?

• Like 1