VileBody

Astronauts

Sad, but hardly unexpected news, and also my first DDP hit, in my theme team. Will a proper obit be published?

regards,

Hein

Was pretty worried about his chances, since over a day since he croaked yet few obits outside his native tongue, but thankfully Yahoo UK picked it up https://uk.news.yaho...60.html#3hirsaH

Guest D Lemon

Would I get DDP points if I put Buzz Lightyear on my team and he died in Toy Story 4.  This inquiry is because I am gonna submit a team in 2015 and 2016 and I know a 4th installment of the movie is in the works.

They can't do that. I'm tearing up right now at that story line.

And now I'm really crying...

Hope he goes out with valour...

From wiki...

Future

According to an article on NOLA.com, Toy Story 3 director Lee Unkrich has confirmed that Toy Story 4 is not planned. "Well, we don't have any plans for Toy Story 4," Unkrich said. "I'm flattered that people ask about it—it reminds me how much people love the characters, but it was really important to me with this film that we not just create another sequel, that it not just be another appendage coming off of the other two." However, he did say, "there may be opportunities for Woody and Buzz in the future, but we don't have any plans for anything right now." It has also been reported that Hanks and Allen have signed on for a Toy Story 4 if Pixar ever decides to produce one. In a BBC interview in 2011, Hanks said that he thought Pixar was working on a sequel. However, Disney has since denied these rumors saying, "Nothing is official".

So I'll start my story line that the three little green men from Pizza Planet are not toys but real little green men from the planet Pizza. In fact it's not a planet at all, but a moon of Jupiter (the one we know as Io) that just looks like a pizza. So they have to get home for a wedding, and they invite Buzz, Hamm and Rex. They use the rocket ship from on top of the restaurant and go to the moon Io. When they get there they find out that a war has broken out with Evil Emperor Zorg trying to invade. In the end Buzz defeats Zorg (by telling him that he is his son) and stops the war. They return to Earth after the wedding.

Meanwhile on Earth. And here is the rub of Toy Story 4 and 5 (released just a week apart)

A whole second story has been happening in parallel that unknown to our spaced out trio, Stinky Pete has returned and Woody and the rest of the toys have been fighting him at Bonnie's house with her life constantly in danger.

On returning to the house Buzz, Ham and Rex see Pete starting yet another evil plan and they upset and foil this attempt because Buzz puts himself in moral danger to save Bonnie. Hamm holds down Stinky Pete and Rex bites Pete's head off. Woody and the other toys run to Buzz but they are too late to help him.

Very, very sad.

Commander of Space Shuttle Discovery's first mission, Henry "Hank" Hartsfield Jr, has died aged 80.

Commander of Space Shuttle Discovery's first mission, Henry "Hank" Hartsfield Jr, has died aged 80.

He was also the commander of the last successful flight of STS Challenger. Fellow spaceman Wubbo Ockels, also on board of that last Challenger flight before it crashed half a year later, died earlier this year.

Worth reviving this after watching the really rather good (read: not taking the viewer for a dribbling Heat-reading moron) BBC4 documentary on the Soviet side of the space race: http://www.bbc.co.uk...-the-space-race

Many of those early pioneers who are still with us (on both sides) are well into their 70's now and quite a few are obit-worthy, certainly any space-walkers and moon-landers.

I remember his death mainly for the flurry of speculation it caused among Kremlin watchers about his succession. The result, even older fossil Chernenko, surprised nearly everyone. I just read Andropov's Wikipedia entry. From that I learned about an episode in Soviet history I never heard about, an assassination attempt on Brezhnev.

It's entirely possible that most soviet leaders have had attempts made on their lives, but the news wouldn't have reached the West as that would signify instability within the Kremlin.

Of course. There was a reason why there were Kremlin watchers at all.

Interestingly, the attacker, Viktor Ilyin (b. Leningrad 1948), is according to this article from 14 May 2014:

[...] still alive today, living in a small flat in his hometown of St. Petersburg. The apartment was provided by the government since Ilyin is considered disabled. He also receives a small pension. His situation today is so normal that it almost defies believability.

DDP material?

regards,

Hein

Without a doubt. Even though his attempt wasn't successful, he's achieved a level of notoriety just purely for having a go.

Not only that, others to add to the list would be

Vladimir Shatalov - 87

Boris Volynov - 80

Aleksei Yeliseyev - 80

The cosmonauts who were in the limo that Ilyin opened fire upon.

Vladimir Shatalov - 87

Boris Volynov - 80

Aleksei Yeliseyev - 80

According to the Wikipedia article I linked to, those were in the first limo. Ilyin attacked the second one, killing the driver, that further contained cosmonauts Alexey Leonov, Valentina Tereshkova, Georgy Beregovoy and Andrian Nikolayev, who all survived with at most some glass cuts. Of these Leonov (80) and Tereshkova (77) are still with us.

I'll soon move these posts to the "Astronauts" topic.

ETA: I found a picture of Tereshkova from 2013:

Valentina_Tereshkova_2013.jpg

(Look, hero of the Soviet Union!)

I also found one of Leonov, unfortunately undated:

Alexey_Leonov.jpg

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

Vladimir Shatalov - 87

Boris Volynov - 80

Aleksei Yeliseyev - 80

According to the Wikipedia article I linked to, those were in the first limo. Ilyin attacked the second one, killing the driver, that further contained cosmonauts Alexey Leonov, Valentina Tereshkova, Georgy Beregovoy and Andrian Nikolayev, who all survived with at most some glass cuts. Of these Leonov (80) and Tereshkova (77) are still with us.

ETA: I found a picture of Tereshkova from 2013:

Valentina_Tereshkova_2013.jpg

I also found one of Leonov, unfortunately undated:

Alexey_Leonov.jpg

regards,

Hein

Tereshkova should most definitely be considered being the first woman in space, And Leonov was the first man to walk in space.

I'm surprised that Leonov is still alive. I was watching the "Rock & Roll Years" and making notes of people to check through to see if they're still alive or not and he was on my list to check.

Vladimir Shatalov - 87

Boris Volynov - 80

Aleksei Yeliseyev - 80

ETA: I found a picture of Tereshkova from 2013:Valentina_Tereshkova_2013.jpg

I also found one of Leonov, unfortunately undated:Alexey_Leonov.jpg

regards,

Hein

Tereshkova should most definitely be considered being the first woman in space, And Leonov was the first man to walk in space.

I'm surprised that Leonov is still alive. I was watching the "Rock & Roll Years" and making notes of people to check through to see if they're still alive or not and he was on my list to check.

Leonov looks like the human Form off Yoda.

article-0-190B655C00000578-665_306x428.j

Also, Jane Hart, almost an astronaut, died at 80.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/13/us/jane-hart-activist-and-nearly-an-astronaut-dies-at-93.html

Guest William G. Steward

NASA public affairs guy Jack 'the Voice of Apollo' King, a man who had virtually no equal at being able to count down from 15 to 1, has died aged 84.

'Scuse me sunshine!

williamgstewart.jpg

You after a slap?

George Mueller, "father of the Space Shuttle" in his function as the leader of the NASA human spaceflight program in the 60s has died at 97:

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/editorial/george-mueller-father-of-the-space-shuttle-passes-away/

The search function leads me to believe that someone on Hare's Deathpool picked him.

George Mueller, "father of the Space Shuttle" in his function as the leader of the NASA human spaceflight program in the 60s has died at 97:

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/editorial/george-mueller-father-of-the-space-shuttle-passes-away/

The search function leads me to believe that someone on Hare's Deathpool picked him.

It's a mash up between George H W Bush and Brooke Mueller.

Apart from your post, there is no mention of him at all, anywhere on site.

• Like 1

Id expect a couple people at least to have Buzz Aldrin on their DDP team. Good thing, cuz the Holland govt wants his arse!

SC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/6105902/Moon-rock-given-to-Holland-by-Neil-Armstrong-and-Buzz-Aldrin-is-fake.html

We can always send the Marines, perhaps as a celebration of its 350th anniversary[1]. Mr Aldrin isn't to blame for this fuck-up, but I'm sure they'll find somebody.

[1] The Marine Corps have a large barracks in Rotterdam, and last Saturday that anniversary was celebrated with a parade on Rotterdam Coolsingel, inspected by the king. I went and had a look. I don't ordinarily care for the military, nor the king for that matter, but for the Marines I make an exception.

3732815.jpg

(photo by Remko de Waal)

• Like 1

Just wondering if Tim Peake should be allowed back into Brittain after joining ISS.

• Like 3

If things had gone really badly, they could have slipped in a David Bowie tribute

"... Ground Control to Major Tim, your circuit's dead there's something wrong...."

If things had gone really badly, they could have slipped in a David Bowie tribute

"... Ground Control to Major Tim, your circuit's dead there's something wrong grim ...."

• Like 2