widnes14

Royal Family

European royal families only have about 6 working royals so see no need for more than C & C, Will & Kate, the Edinburghs, Anne & a few appearances by the Queen's remaining cousins except for Prince Michael who is not technically a working royal although he lives in Kensington Palace. It was rent-free but when this was discovered the Queen paid his rent etc but Charles may change this. Not sure why Anne's husband appears in photo as a working royal. The Edinburgh's children are too young & the York girls have very young children, always appear to be on holiday & are too closely linked with their father.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Watcher said:

European royal families only have about 6 working royals so see no need for more than C & C, Will & Kate, the Edinburghs, Anne & a few appearances by the Queen's remaining cousins

The point is that they are all well past retirement age except for the Waleses (and the Edinburghs who are getting close to it).

I don't think Edward and Sophie thought that their children would ever be needed, hence them choosing not to use their princely titles.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Toast said:

The point is that they are all well past retirement age except for the Waleses (and the Edinburghs who are getting close to it).

I don't think Edward and Sophie thought that their children would ever be needed, hence them choosing not to use their princely titles.

Yes, it's unfortunate that Harry broke away and the York girls' father is persona non grata. Add this to Anne's assumption that her two had no royal future as she was last of the 4 children in the line of succession and we're very thin on the ground.

11 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Anne's assumption that her two had no royal future as she was last of the 4 children in the line of succession

I think she just wanted them to be able to live as private citizens.  Anne's children were never going to have royal titles as it's only children of sons of the monarch that qualify.  Mark Phillips was offered a peerage when he married Anne, in which case Peter would have been Viscount or Lord Something and Zara would be Lady Zara.  But the offer was declined.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

A choice that could well change if needed. Charles can change that stuff very easily.

3 hours ago, Comped said:

A choice that could well change if needed. Charles can change that stuff very easily.

Oh, I think they are free to use them if they wish.  They are entitled to be styled as Prince James and Princess Louise.

Anne, Edward and Sophie will probably still be working until 80 plus.

I do feel like George might be given as long not during lots of duties as William was. By the time he is 25 he could even be heir if Charles passes away younger than his parents. 

18 hours ago, The Watcher said:

European royal families only have about 6 working royals so see no need for more than C & C, Will & Kate, the Edinburghs, Anne & a few appearances by the Queen's remaining cousins except for Prince Michael who is not technically a working royal although he lives in Kensington Palace. It was rent-free but when this was discovered the Queen paid his rent etc but Charles may change this. Not sure why Anne's husband appears in photo as a working royal. The Edinburgh's children are too young & the York girls have very young children, always appear to be on holiday & are too closely linked with their father.

The European royals all have smaller countries to deal with. Only Spain is within half of the UK’s population and that is excluding all the other realms and the wider commonwealth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Anne, Edward and Sophie will probably still be working until 80 plus.

I do feel like George might be given as long not during lots of duties as William was. By the time he is 25 he could even be heir if Charles passes away younger than his parents. 

I suspect the Wales children will be given the opportunity to go to university or join the armed forces as the King's sons were. William will want to give them the opportunities he had, but they may not get as long to do it depending on who goes above them and when.

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The European royals all have smaller countries to deal with. Only Spain is within half of the UK’s population and that is excluding all the other realms and the wider commonwealth. 

The bigger question is if Charles will do a tour of the Commonwealth relatively soon. Given how Will and Kate were regarded in the more Republican parts, we might see him to to just Canada, Australia, and NZ. Maybe PNG or something, but skip the Caribbean besides the Overseas Territories and all of Africa.

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I suspect the Wales children will be given the opportunity to go to university or join the armed forces as the King's sons were. William will want to give them the opportunities he had, but they may not get as long to do it depending on who goes above them and when.

I'm pretty sure George will go into the armed forces at least. Go direct to Sandhurst.

On 10/05/2023 at 21:27, ladyfiona said:

I'm pretty sure George will go into the armed forces at least. Go direct to Sandhurst.

Perhaps, but the whispers are they were keen to keep Wills out of harm's way. Not as worried about Hazza, so maybe it will be Louis in the army. Or Charlotte. :huh:

George will at least do some kind of service as it would be weird for a future monarch and next head of armed forces not to have served somewhere. Even if random millitary base in Gibraltar for two months etc.

Also two new photos:

• Like 1

On 10/05/2023 at 21:27, ladyfiona said:

More likely the Navy.

On 10/05/2023 at 20:26, Comped said:

The bigger question is if Charles will do a tour of the Commonwealth relatively soon. Given how Will and Kate were regarded in the more Republican parts, we might see him to to just Canada, Australia, and NZ. Maybe PNG or something, but skip the Caribbean besides the Overseas Territories and all of Africa.

Give the Caribbean nations an elected head of state.

All arseholes of the world anyway...

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/12/09/hardest-working-royals-2023-revealed/

Interesting breakdown  of the statistics on which members of the Royal Family  did the most  public engagements this year.  

What struck me is that Princess Alexandra only performed 3 whilst her brother the Duke of Kent  whose health has received the most speculation on this forum out of all the royals did over 60.

Perhaps Princess Alexandra is the one we should be paying most attention  to.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/12/09/hardest-working-royals-2023-revealed/

Interesting breakdown  of the statistics on which members of the Royal Family  did the most  public engagements this year.  

What struck me is that Princess Alexandra only performed 3 whilst her brother the Duke of Kent  whose health has received the most speculation on this forum out of all the royals did over 60.

Other than the elderly Duke of Gloucester doing a wave of engagements, I'm not sure how much you can really read into this. 

I know that the minor royals were streamlined out somewhat so that the core team - Anne, Charles and Edward, Camilla, Sophie, William and Kate- were more high profile and busier.

I'd say the once prolific Prince Michael only doing one event would be more eyebrow raising based on stats alone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Other than the elderly Duke of Gloucester doing a wave of engagements, I'm not sure how much you can really read into this. 

I know that the minor royals were streamlined out somewhat so that the core team - Anne, Charles and Edward, Camilla, Sophie, William and Kate- were more high profile and busier.

I'd say the once prolific Prince Michael only doing one event would be more eyebrow raising based on stats alone.

Prince Michael is not on the civil list and his one engagement  may well be a reception for the Coronation. 

If the Duke of Kent is doing 60 engagements  and his younger sister is only doing 3 I think that is worth deadpoolers noting. If you believe  Prince Michael doing one engagement is eyebrow raising then I don't feel it makes sense to suggest someone doing three is not something you can read much into. 

Princess Alexandra is still a royal patron to many charities  and I cannot imagine that she wouldn't  do more engagements related to them if she were able. 

Princess Anne  does the most engagements  but gets much less attention than William and Kate who do fewer  so I don't think the 'streamlining'  is  really driven by being high profile.  I think they give the most  high profile stuff  to William and Kate  because they will get the most attention regardless.  So called minor royals have always mainly been given the less high profile engagements and roles  . Dull but worthy stuff  some say. It will be retirement or the Grim Reaper  that streamlines the royal family(the late Queens cousins)  rather than a strategy of giving minor royals fewer engagements . Charles wouldn't have kept them all on as working royals if he felt they weren't  needed.  He would have am sure used the opportunity of a new reign to move them on.

Some say Beatrice and Eugenie would make good  and needed working royals but I am going of too much on a tangent!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The most recent photo I can find of her is the official Coronation photo, where she appears second from the right. It looks like both the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh are holding her upright, but she appeared to be using a walking stick for a while before so there may not be much to read into this:

image.png.c30f83fad1b9a105341c0f50ebb8cc40.png

Prince of Wales pulls out of event due to ‘personal matter’.

Hmmmm given his old man was disappointed that he wasn't able to attend this this is curious. (Not that I think it's to do with him)

8 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Hmmmm given his old man was disappointed that he wasn't able to attend this this is curious. (Not that I think it's to do with him)

Implication here seems to be is it’s not the Princess of Wales that has caused his withdrawal. 

If it’s not said at some point today (Via a source says) it’s not Charles then it probably is him. 

Interestingly Queen Camilla is set to meet the King and Queen of Spain.

It seems that The King will miss that too. 

15 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Interestingly Queen Camilla is set to meet the King and Queen of Spain.

It seems that The King will miss that too. 

Well it’s part of the service. The king of Spain is the late King of Greece’s nephew.