widnes14

Royal Family

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Duke of Kent not at the final as far as I can see.

Has he been since he stepped down as President ?

• Like 1

I doubt very much he  was missed.

On 30/09/2020 at 19:24, Ulitzer95 said:

Great list @arghton!

Seems we're at the stage where there's nobody in the Royal family, close or extended, older than the Queen and Philip.

Not family but worth noting that Dame Frances Campbell-Preston, the Queen Mother's right hand lady and confident, is still alive. Here's a 102nd birthday interview from earlier this month.

Dame Frances Campbell-Preston, right hand woman to the Queen Mother, turned 104 last week.

New photo of her from last week with her daughter:

A8F47C48-31BA-40A5-A954-7BFF24ED0AF4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a fairly safe bet that the  late Queens   78 year old cousin The Duke of Gloucester does not need to trouble deadpoolers  for at least a few years given his ability and seeming ease in walking/ marching  for all that time and all those miles today.  Very impressive .

• Like 4

On 11/09/2022 at 00:08, Ulitzer95 said:

Dame Frances Campbell-Preston, right hand woman to the Queen Mother, turned 104 last week.

New photo of her from last week with her daughter:

A8F47C48-31BA-40A5-A954-7BFF24ED0AF4.jpeg

New Telegraph Obit for the dead old dear that is Dame Frances Campbell-Preston: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/11/24/dame-frances-campbell-preston-stalwart-long-serving-lady-in/

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Ever-reliable Daily Star cuts through the crap with the definitive verdict on Netflix fun and games

_127936933_star-nc.png.webp

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mentioned in the Elizabeth II thread before but more appropriate here as he was a biographer of a number of Royals...

Philip Ziegler (wiki) dead from cancer at 93.

Times obit.

A unique DDP hit.

• Like 7

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/only-working-royals-allowed-balcony-29641046

Nothing especially revelatory here but I thought it was worth highlighting/ drawing attention to on a deadpooling forum.  In this article about which members of the royal family will be on the balcony for the Coronation  it says that that sources claim the attendance of the Duke of Kent and his sister Princess Alexandra won't be confirmed until the actual day owing to individual health problems. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

See the pre-coronation merch table is already groaning with delights: 

340610740_1272851856948718_8048397834326

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

So, Harry's coming, Meghan's staying at home. Charles walked her down the aisle a few years ago because her own father was unavailable; he gets a slap in the face in return. Harry, as ever, is torn between his wife and his family.

Does anyone think these two will still be together five years from now? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So, Harry's coming, Meghan's staying at home. Charles walked her down the aisle a few years ago because her own father was unavailable; he gets a slap in the face in return. Harry, as ever, is torn between his wife and his family.

Nobody really cares. The Sussexes have clearly decided this gets them the publicity they crave.

The thing I find sad are all the desperados on Twitter who have chosen a side and are absolutely vicious in defence of whichever side they have chosen. I just don’t get it…

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

No. And I think once the divorce happens we will see another book where it's revealed that this whole separation idea was forced upon him more or less against his will... He will quickly accepted back into the fold as a result.

Should have married the one he lost his virginity to. She seems nice.

• Like 2

Taken from Duke of Kent thread. This is official photo released today. Princess Alexandra is being propped up by Edward and Sophie.

image.png.a22a03618facfede8ce508b7ebbc81d7.png

3 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Taken from Duke of Kent thread. This is official photo released today. Princess Alexandra is being propped up by Edward and Sophie.

Definite Weekend At Bernie's vibe there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Came to say as Fiona. Sophie and Edward have hold of one arm each on Princess Alexandra. Clearly not steady on her feet. Anybody see any footage of her entering the Abbey?

• Like 1

I'll try to find the livestream of people entering the abbey. She did sit next to Harry though apparently.

Send help - I found one but it means listening to Kay Burley.

Edit - These two walked in fine with no issues:

image.png.c65bec9744419d43c6503c5ddf0551ba.png

This might have been Alexandra and if you see - she needs assistance by someone in red. Best shot I can get because screen goes to Charles in the carriage.

image.png.48fe6712f080db0ee6c27c8e9a8ed1ab.png

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

Indeed  she does  seem unsteady but on the positive side her inclusion in this photo along with The Duke of Kent and The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester , indicates  their continued inclusion and status as working royals. Many have long predicted they would be relieved of their working royal status as part of King Charles  'slimming down of the monarchy ' . But it appears  not. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Indeed  she does  seem unsteady but on the positive side her inclusion in this photo along with The Duke of Kent and The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester , indicates  their continued inclusion and status as working royals. Many have long predicted they would be relieved of their working royal status as part of King Charles  'slimming down of the monarchy ' . But it appears  not. 

I wish people would stop quoting this "slimming down of the monarchy" - it was ages ago that he said that, and back then there were a lot more people on the old Civil List.  HMTLQ reduced it quite a lot, and things were ticking along nicely until the Harry & Meghan catastrophe and the fitting up of Prince Andrew.  Princess Anne made this point in her interview the other day, she said that a lot had changed since Charles made that comment.

The RF is now really stretched,  which is why the Kents have had to carry on despite their obvious infirmities.  The Gloucesters have also had to take on a lot more.   Everyone is ageing except for William and Catherine.  The York girls don't do royal engagements, and Princess Anne's children were always private citizens which is a shame as Zara would be great..  They really need Edward's kids to step up, but I'm not sure they will.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I wish people would stop quoting this "slimming down of the monarchy" - it was ages ago that he said that, and back then there were a lot more people on the old Civil List.  HMTLQ reduced it quite a lot, and things were ticking along nicely until the Harry & Meghan catastrophe and the fitting up of Prince Andrew.  Princess Anne made this point in her interview the other day, she said that a lot had changed since Charles made that comment.

The RF is now really stretched,  which is why the Kents have had to carry on despite their obvious infirmities.  The Gloucesters have also had to take on a lot more.   Everyone is ageing except for William and Catherine.  The York girls don't do royal engagements, and Princess Anne's children were always private citizens which is a shame as Zara would be great..  They really need Edward's kids to step up, but I'm not sure they will.

I totally agree with  you and Princess Anne.

But I interpreted the interview  as Anne has a different opinion on ' the slimming down of the monarchy ' to Charles.  It is apparently on this basis that Charles has allegedly for over 10 years refused to let the York girls become working royals despite their willingness to do so. If that is true,  and many royal correspondents seem to be saying it is , then I think he should relent.

One of Charles relatives or friends from the Anson family was on the news last week saying its a good idea to continue to slim down the monarchy because in the age of social media you can have lots of reach with fewer  working royals. 

I think that is misguided and I hope Charles has not bought into it.

I think ideally you need at least 12 working royals in the UK system. 

• Like 1

I didn't think Anne implied that Charles was still of the same opinion though. But I might have missed something.

I take "royal correspondents" with a large pinch of salt because most of them seem to have agendas of their own.

I don't know about the Yorks - have they offered to work?  I think Beatrice might be able to do it, but not sure about Eugenie as weren't they supposed to be moving to Portugal for her husband's job?  tbh she comes over to me as a bit charmless, but IMBW.

One of Charles relatives or friends from the Anson family was on the news last week saying its a good idea to continue to slim down the monarchy because in the age of social media you can have lots of reach with fewer  working royals.

That is utterly ridiculous !  Who was this twat, and who does he suggest they get rid of? 

Social media is obviously a useful supplement to Royal activity, and it will have a wider reach, but it can never take the place of personal visits and contact which mean a lot to people and boost morale.  I don't think most people realise how much of this goes on because most of it doesn't get reported.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think ideally you need at least 12 working royals in the UK system. 

They should all be working. Pret, Lidl, KFC, B&Q, they’ve all got vacancies. We’re also short of carers, HGV drivers, nurses, engineers…bit of training and student debt and we’ll find a use for the fuckers in no time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I looked at the photo and thought "we're going to be very thin on the ground in a few year's time". Ages from left to right: 87, 76, 78, 68, 72, 74, 75, 40, 41, 58, 86, 59. In a decade's time, the Duke of Kent is unlikely to still be here, the Gloucesters will be in their late 80s, Anne in her early 80s, the King and Queen in their mid-80s, the Edinburghs pushing 70 and Princess Alexandra probably no more. William and Kate will be 50-odd, George will be 20 but Charlotte and Louis will still be in their mid-teens. Unless Harry comes in from the cold, the only other options are Beatrice and Eugenie and James and Louise. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TQR said:

They should all be working. Pret, Lidl, KFC, B&Q, they’ve all got vacancies. We’re also short of carers, HGV drivers, nurses, engineers…bit of training and student debt and we’ll find a use for the fuckers in no time.

I have no wish to stand in their way if they decide that is something they want to do but I won't chance holding my breath!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1