Deadornot

Who are the immortals?

For the two or three people mildly interested, here's statistics of which of these people are picks in this year's DDP.

Picks this year and last year:

Jimmy Carter, Tin Oo (unique this year), Joanne Woodward, Fauja Singh, Yang Chen-Ning (unique), Alberto Fujimori, Yuriko Mikasa, Queen Sirikit, Song Ping, Comical Ali/Baghdad Bob (unique), Violeta Chamorro, Sidney Cooke, Joseph Estrada (unique), Paulo Maluf (unique), Zhu Rongji, Khamtai Siphandone, Mahathir Mohamad, Seiji Ozawa, Emmanuel Wamala (unique), Yoshiro Nakamatsu (unique), Kenneth Cope, Tinto Brass (unique), Silvia Pinal, Kim Yong-nam, Jean-Marie Le Pen, Juan Vicente Perez Mora, Willie Nelson, Khieu Samphan, Josip Manolic, Manmohan Singh, Jose Sarney and David Graham.

"Returnees":

Abdoulaye Wade (unique this year, seemingly last picked in 2016), Dries Van Agt (seemingly last picked in 2021), Selim Hoss (unique, seemingly last picked in 2021) and Alexander Mitta (unique, seemingly last picked 2021).

First-timers:

V. S. Achuthanandan (unique), Gaositwe Chiepe (unique) and Juan Ponce Enrile (unique).

DROPS/Picked in 2023, not picked in 2024:

David Musuguri (unique last year), Chief Raoni (3 teams last year, zero this year, but doesn't seem near the end), Sheikh Salem Al-Ali Al-Sabah (unique last year), Thích Thanh Từ (unique last year), Tep Vong (unique last year) and Ilia II (unique last year)

Last picked prior to 2023:

Tsung-Dao Lee (2012???), Maria Nyerere (2022), Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee (2022) and Nasser Makarem Shirazi (2021)

Edit: I have to say even while he's a former US President in hospice I'm impressed by Jimmy's current popularity here...First place on the DL, most voted in Crowdsourced, most popular in the DDP and isn't he also the most picked in Deathrace and Hares?

Edit 2: I think the most suprising non-picks are Musuguri and Ivan Krasko. I think both have a chance of getting an obit, I'd say larger than for example Song Ping or Chiepe, Musuguri as the man who defeated Idi Amin and Krasko due to UK tabloids writing on his love life.

• Like 5

Congrats to all of you, you are incredible.

Now for the love of God, please, fuck off and die.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/06/2023 at 08:30, The Immortal said:

Some personal suggestions for immortals.

Ike Schab - Pearl Harbor Veteran. Hospitalized at least 4 times since 2022 from pneumonia, COVID-19 and other respiratory issues. In poor health for years. His last wish was to make a visit to Pearl Harbor for its 80th anniversary, back in 2021. He's still alive at the age of 102.

Roger Donlon - Has had "end stage Parkinson's disease" since 2018 and the Parkinson's is supposedly because of Agent Orange exposure. Still attended the most recent Medal Of Honor recipients convention (though his wife mentioned it's most likely his last) and still tries to be involved military related events despite being extremely frail because of the Parkinson's.

Fred Lorenzen - Old NASCAR driver who was diagnosed with dementia 10 years, but reportedly had symptoms since the 1990s. Seems to have rapidly declined in the last few years.

Cresencia Garcia - Another WWII veteran (lot of WWII veterans seem to be immortals). Was in critical condition in the ICU with COVID when she was 100 years old and lived to tell the tale. Now 103, looked skeletal in her most recent appearance a couple months ago.

Derek Draper - Suffered from a severe COVID-19 case which he has miraculously survived thus far despite being in a coma for months and in intensive care for at least a year, suffering multiple other complications like sepsis twice, kidney damage that required surgery and multiple organ failure. His recent photos clearly show he's a testament to immortality.

Roger Donlon, Medal of Honor recipient, dead aged 89.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Thatcher posted in the Immortals thread and it is not an immortal death.

I'm going crazyyyyyy.

57 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

quite disappointed he wasn’t allowed in ao deadpool

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

quite disappointed he wasn’t allowed in ao deadpool

Pretty Medal of Honor recipients typically aren’t allowed through. I remember trying Gary Beikirch a few years back and he too was rejected

I tried Donlon last year and was rejected.

10 hours ago, Thatcher said:

So in that short list of 5 recommendations I made for the main list of immortals, I now have 2 dead so far this year (3 total as Garcia died last year) while Drol's main list of 50 something immortals has had... 1 hit with Zagallo.

No wonder he's going crazy.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Immortal said:

So in that short list of 5 recommendations I made for the main list of immortals, I now have 2 dead so far this year (3 total as Garcia died last year) while Drol's main list of 50 something immortals has had... 1 hit with Zagallo.

No wonder he's going crazy.

Being put on the Immortals list for them is like eating Super Mario mushroom.

On 04/06/2021 at 09:49, Spade_Cooley said:

Adele Springsteen has had dementia and Alzheimer's seemingly since Bruce released "Born to Run" and yet she's still with us and makes public appearances every now and then.

Adele Springsteen has died.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 25/01/2024 at 20:02, drol said:

Thatcher posted in the Immortals thread and it is not an immortal death.

I'm going crazyyyyyy.

And again!

Tin Oo hospitalised, but of course not in a serious condition.

Seiji Ozawa (1935-2024)

"No one? Really no one? Zhang? Jimmy? Ok, I'll go then, you cowards" (Seiji's last words)

"I'm saddened by the demise of famed director Toscanini" (Joe Biden's message of condolences)

image.jpeg.15b16ef0d10671a9b384e2fea4571321.jpeg

Age at death: 88

Known health issues: Diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2010, pneumonia in 2017, hospitalised with heart disease in 2018, lived the last ten years with Alzheimer's, wheelchair bound in 2023.

Cause of death: Impaled by his own director wands. No, just joking, heart failure.

Alignment: One of the great directors of the last century, and more or less universally respected.

• Like 11

Dries van Agt (1931-2024)

"No one? Really no one? Zhang? Jim.... Oh, why the fuck I'm even asking?" (Dries's last words)

"Father, when I die can I take weed to heaven?" (Dries very worried about his pot)

image.jpeg.5d205e57795c6cffd4f5ec4b963f8248.jpeg

Age at death: 93

Known health issues: Longlife smoker, survived a massive cerebral hemorrhage in 2019 back when his death seemed imminent. In a care home and extremely frail in 2023.

Cause of death:  Euthanasia together with his wife.

Alignment: Very capable and intelligent politician who brought many reforms to his country while serving as PM.  He spent his later years criticizing Israel and wanting to trial Nethanyahu at The Hague, being sometime a bit too condescending towards Islamic terrorism. 

• Like 12

Juan Ponce Enrile reportedly in fantastic health ahead of 100th birthday, still walks unaided and his longevity is attributed to stem cell treatment. In fact they seem to really believe he is immortal.

OTOH, his wife has been in very frail health since last year, she had major surgery she wasn't expected to survive and was recently discharged from hospital after a bout of pneumonia.

On 11/02/2024 at 19:21, drol said:

Juan Ponce Enrile reportedly in fantastic health ahead of 100th birthday, still walks unaided and his longevity is attributed to stem cell treatment. In fact they seem to really believe he is immortal.

OTOH, his wife has been in very frail health since last year, she had major surgery she wasn't expected to survive and was recently discharged from hospital after a bout of pneumonia.

enrileim.png.00eacaed2650ec4c69f99af90b3ca27e.png

Imelda Marcos and Joseph Estrada at his birthday party, a couple of hours ago. All three seem to be doing fine considering their past health problems...:banghead:

• Haha 1

While we wait for immortals to die, here are my 10 immortal suggestions for the list.

Fred Lorenzen - Old NASCAR driver already suggested the last time around. Dementia for at least 12 years, rumored symptoms since the mid 1990s, wheelchair bound and in an assisted living facility for 10 years. Has been on IV's recently and looks very frail now.

King Harald V - Has had a lot of health issues as of late. Hospitalized for illness in August and December 2022 and May 2023, twice survived COVID and recently suffered a respiratory infection. Also had heart surgery in 2020 after problems breathing.

Brian Unthank - Nuclear test veterans are already a step ahead of most when it comes to immortality, but this fellow here has had a whopping 92 skin cancer tumors removed, and has scars all over his body as a result.

Paul Alexander - Better known as the last polio survivor known to be living in an iron lung, something he's done for about 70 years so I reckon he's reached that status by now.

Frank Field - Terminally ill and in hospice "close to death", back in 2021. Has defied pretty much all odds for longer than Jimmy Carter.

Edie Ceccarelli - Diagnosed with dementia a couple years back either as a supercentenarian or in her later centenarian years, somehow still alive, turned 116 and doesn't even look skeletal.

Shigeo Nagashima - Suggested before by Arghton and I fully agree with him on this suggestion, considering he's been hospitalized countless times in the last couple of years. This man is basically the Japanese equivalent of Zagallo.

Deve Gowda - I don't know how this man isn't on the list already, he's been chronically sick with something or the other for ages.

Wilson Fittipaldi - Miraculously survived a cardiac arrest after choking, has been in the ICU/hospital ever since. Also has Parkinson's and looked like a skeleton in last known public appearance at Interlagos.

Ruth Buzzi - Incapacitated after suffering multiple strokes, back in 2022 and likely still is as there has not been any info for a long time.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Immortal said:

Ruth Buzzi - Incapacitated after suffering multiple strokes, back in 2022 and likely still is as there has not been any info for a long time.

Her Facebook is full of archive photos, but there are some new photos and videos as well. She made a partial recovery (consider that she's 87). She can't walk or do much of anything but she looks all right.

34 minutes ago, The Immortal said:

While we wait for immortals to die, here are my 10 immortal suggestions for the list.

Fred Lorenzen - Old NASCAR driver already suggested the last time around. Dementia for at least 12 years, rumored symptoms since the mid 1990s, wheelchair bound and in an assisted living facility for 10 years. Has been on IV's recently and looks very frail now.

King Harald V - Has had a lot of health issues as of late. Hospitalized for illness in August and December 2022 and May 2023, twice survived COVID and recently suffered a respiratory infection. Also had heart surgery in 2020 after problems breathing.

Brian Unthank - Nuclear test veterans are already a step ahead of most when it comes to immortality, but this fellow here has had a whopping 92 skin cancer tumors removed, and has scars all over his body as a result.

Paul Alexander - Better known as the last polio survivor known to be living in an iron lung, something he's done for about 70 years so I reckon he's reached that status by now.

Frank Field - Terminally ill and in hospice "close to death", back in 2021. Has defied pretty much all odds for longer than Jimmy Carter.

Edie Ceccarelli - Diagnosed with dementia a couple years back either as a supercentenarian or in her later centenarian years, somehow still alive, turned 116 and doesn't even look skeletal.

Shigeo Nagashima - Suggested before by Arghton and I fully agree with him on this suggestion, considering he's been hospitalized countless times in the last couple of years. This man is basically the Japanese equivalent of Zagallo.

Deve Gowda - I don't know how this man isn't on the list already, he's been chronically sick with something or the other for ages.

Wilson Fittipaldi - Miraculously survived a cardiac arrest after choking, has been in the ICU/hospital ever since. Also has Parkinson's and looked like a skeleton in last known public appearance at Interlagos.

Unthank, Alexander, Ceccarelli not notable enough (unless she becomes WOLP).

Harald, Fittipaldi and Buzzi need to impress me more. The other names could be suitable.

On 06/02/2024 at 15:40, drol said:

Tin Oo hospitalised, but of course not in a serious condition.

Tin Oo hospitalised in cardiac ICU, but "in good condition" and "only back in hospital because his feeding tube broke and the treatment would be more effective in the hospital"

I saw something on this on facebook yesterday and thought I'd keep it my own info but I know there are people here who keep tabs on Radio Free Asia.

Jose Sarney also had a fall last week and broke his collarbone but is "already back to work". 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, arghton said:

Tin Oo hospitalised in cardiac ICU, but "in good condition" and "only back in hospital because his feeding tube broke and the treatment would be more effective in the hospital"

I saw something on this on facebook yesterday and thought I'd keep it my own info but I know there are people here who keep tabs on Radio Free Asia.

Jose Sarney also had a fall last week and broke his collarbone but is "already back to work". 

Who's that in the wheelchair next to Tin Oo? Some monk/religious person perhaps?

13 minutes ago, The Immortal said:

Who's that in the wheelchair next to Tin Oo? Some monk/religious person perhaps?

Good question. Apparently it is activist/monk Shwe Nya War Sayadaw. He looks horrible for a 58-year-old.

On 21/02/2024 at 17:22, arghton said:

Good question. Apparently it is activist/monk Shwe Nya War Sayadaw. He looks horrible for a 58-year-old.

58? I thought he'd be at least 75 if not even 80 judging from the photo.

Manohar Joshi hospitalised.

• Like 3