Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

9 hours ago, theoldlady said:

How are you folks in Texas doing? 

I'm working in Pecos, TX, so out of the way though one computer model has it coming right at us in a week (it's the desert, so that much rain would be interesting).
My house, however, is alone and lonely in Breaux Bridge, LA and the outer bands are certainly dumping rain over the next few days.  However, it should be under 15 inches at most, and last year we had 20+ inches in 3 days as you may recall creating massive flooding in southern LA, though my property and shitty house seemed to fair pretty well.  I won't be home for 12 days or so yet, so if something happens, I guess a neighbour will have to inform me.
SC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

senior living facility

Does that mean old people's home?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 07:56, Phantom of the Midway said:

So, as Harvey made landfall yesterday evening in Texas, it was a Category 4 hurricane, making it one of the strongest hurricanes to make landfall in the US ever.

In the town of Rockport, multiple buildings were damaged, including a senior living facility, and part of the local high school "caved in".

This morning, Harvey has been downgraded to a Category 1 storm.

However, flooding rains are still expected to hit the south Texas area for days upon days, with 40 inches of rain expected into early next week.

There is now catastrophic flooding that has never been seen before. 

:( 

On 26. august 2017 at 16:39, Sir Creep said:

I'm working in Pecos, TX, so out of the way though one computer model has it coming right at us in a week (it's the desert, so that much rain would be interesting).
My house, however, is alone and lonely in Breaux Bridge, LA and the outer bands are certainly dumping rain over the next few days.  However, it should be under 15 inches at most, and last year we had 20+ inches in 3 days as you may recall creating massive flooding in southern LA, though my property and shitty house seemed to fair pretty well.  I won't be home for 12 days or so yet, so if something happens, I guess a neighbour will have to inform me.
SC

Good luck to you and yours. 

This will end well...... drunks-with-guns.jpg

• Haha 1

Drunks with Guns. Sounds like a new reality show.

Yeah, so I'm 825 miles from home and now Harvey is bearing down the coast and onto my house today.  I'm pissed cuz this is Texas' storm, not ours.  So my poor little  Louisiana home is being deluged with at least 8" of water the next 24 hours and more to come --- and as you may recall south Louisiana and particularly Baton Rouge got crushed by last August's flooding.  If that thing parks over Louisiana we are screwed, and I'm not at home to see what's up or save anything.  My daughter is off of school at least today, probably most of the week, and with her mom so she's ok.  I suspect my home is ok floodwater-wise, but house damage who knows.  I have a metal roof so there's that, but an oak tree can take care of that right quick.  Damn storm should have stayed in Texas like all our Louisiana hurricanes do, we don't foist our troubles onto neighbouring states.  The NERVE ~~
SC

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Yeah, so I'm 825 miles from home and now Harvey is bearing down the coast and onto my house today.  I'm pissed cuz this is Texas' storm, not ours.  So my poor little  Louisiana home is being deluged with at least 8" of water the next 24 hours and more to come --- and as you may recall south Louisiana and particularly Baton Rouge got crushed by last August's flooding.  If that thing parks over Louisiana we are screwed, and I'm not at home to see what's up or save anything.  My daughter is off of school at least today, probably most of the week, and with her mom so she's ok.  I suspect my home is ok floodwater-wise, but house damage who knows.  I have a metal roof so there's that, but an oak tree can take care of that right quick.  Damn storm should have stayed in Texas like all our Louisiana hurricanes do, we don't foist our troubles onto neighbouring states.  The NERVE ~~
SC

Wishing you luck SC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nabeel Qureshi stuck in his Houston

home which could flood soon.He is seriously jaundiced has a few days of formula left for his feeding tube and admits he can't get to a hospital if something goes wrong.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

home which could flood soon.He is seriously jaundiced has a few days of formula left for his feeding tube and admits he can't get to a hospital if something goes wrong.

Lord knows he's a major 'hit' for me should it occur (and it sounds as if it will), but I do not wish him or anyone an ugly or painful series of events on their way off this big blue marble.

SC

Some of the more troubling Houston images:

Image result for houston flooding retirement home              image.jpeg.f6d286576f61fca2ffc2cd1662129983.jpeg       Image result for houston flooding august 27 2017

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Some of the more troubling Houston images:

Image result for houston flooding august 27 2017

As you can imagine this sign is designed for semis (tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, whatever nomenclature you prefer) to pass under without incident.  Thus, you're looking at like 10' of water on that highway.  This is a loop onto Interstate-10, which is the way I drive home from west Texas oil rigs.  We should be rigging down in 9 days or so, and seems I'll be looking for another route.

SC

• Like 1

On 8/28/2017 at 08:16, Sean said:

Fortunately, he was able to get to the hospital. Still asking for prayers with Hurricane Harvey though. 

A couple of feel-shit stories for today, one from my hometown of Breaux Bridge, LA.
- A 41-year-old woman who was trying to save herself and her child died on Tuesday afternoon after being swept away by floodwaters in Beaumont, Texas, police said. Her 3-year-old daughter, who survived, was found “clinging” to her mother’s body.

- In Breaux Bridge, 38-year-old Francine Gotch and her 3-year-old daughter, Nevaeh Alexander, were crushed to death between the collapsing ceiling and floor in the bed where they'd been sleeping.  This occurred cuz of a tornado (brief film footage of it forming on Youtube).

HuffPost reports that Beaumont, Texas, has lost its water supply for an indefinite period of time. The main supply was lost due to damage to the pumps from the Neches River overflowing. The secondary system is at Loeb Wells in Hardin County, and is also offline for some unmentioned reason. City officials say they don't know when water supply can be restored - they need to inspect the damaged pumps to get a estimated time, which they cannot do until the flood water recede and the pumps become accessible. 

They also put the death toll at 35, based on what Reuters is saying.

Hurricane Irma rapidly intensifying. No idea what route it will take, but could potentially hit both Carolinas and/or Puerto Rico in the States, as well as the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Leeward Islands, and Hispaniola. Storm will probably make landfall (if it reaches land) some time next week, and is expected to be Cat 3 or stronger by Thursday night.

Fucking christ, this summer is horrific for hurricanes and flooding.

Oh yeah. The flooding in this side of the world isn't going down anytime soon either - current death toll after a day's flash floods in Mumbai is 16, with the toll expected to rise as more missing reports are filed.

And the only reason the rains stopped was because the cloud system moved inland, and other parts of the subcontinent are still being battered by rains and floods as well.

Well now new challenges have presented themselves.  Today the news is saying that gas stations in many parts of Texas are without fuel (the refineries are offline), not to mention the 20% increase already nationwide at the pump.
I am supposed to go home from west Texas to southern Louisiana in 4 days.  So not only can I not travel through Houston (my normal route), but even if I go through Dallas and add 70 miles to the journey, finding gasoline along the way may be troublesome.  They're showing lines of 2+ hours at stations that actually have  petrol.  I can get 400 miles on a tank, but I need 2 tanks to get home.  Yay me!
SC

(Edit: I am going out to Pecos, TX tonight to tie one on at the local watering hole, and if I can fill up at one of the four local petrol stations, by God I will)

20 hours ago, RishCast said:

HuffPost reports that Beaumont, Texas, has lost its water supply for an indefinite period of time. The main supply was lost due to damage to the pumps from the Neches River overflowing. The secondary system is at Loeb Wells in Hardin County, and is also offline for some unmentioned reason. City officials say they don't know when water supply can be restored - they need to inspect the damaged pumps to get a estimated time, which they cannot do until the flood water recede and the pumps become accessible. 

They also put the death toll at 35, based on what Reuters is saying.

51 last I heard.  For those who are unaware, which is basically everyone, Beaumont is far from a small town.  I won't look it up but I'm certain they have 60000 people, so we are talking many miles of suburbs effected.  It's the largest city between Lake Charles LA and Houston TX.   Funny thing is I drive through these areas all the time and saw the 'hurricane evacuation' signs posted on the highway, and thought that's crazy putting signs all the way out here.  It's hard to imagine without seeing it for myself.
SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

51 last I heard.  For those who are unaware, which is basically everyone, Beaumont is far from a small town.  I won't look it up but I'm certain they have 60000 people, so we are talking many miles of suburbs effected.  It's the largest city between Lake Charles LA and Houston TX.   Funny thing is I drive through these areas all the time and saw the 'hurricane evacuation' signs posted on the highway, and thought that's crazy putting signs all the way out here.  It's hard to imagine without seeing it for myself.
SC

Everything reporting about the water cut in Beaumont puts it at 100,000+ in population, which means that it's going to be even more difficult ensuring they have access to water until the supply is fixed.