Tempus Fugit

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Mudslides

There seem to have been a lot of "high grade" hurricanes this year. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this - global warming?

There seem to have been a lot of "high grade" hurricanes this year. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this - global warming?

They happen every year. Quite alot. This year has seen America embarassed by one and as a result they're popular news.

Everyone is waiting for the next New Orleans.

There seem to have been a lot of  "high grade" hurricanes this year.  Does anyone know if there's a reason for this - global warming?

They happen every year. Quite alot. This year has seen America embarassed by one and as a result they're popular news.

Everyone is waiting for the next New Orleans.

Every year they seem to get worse. Thats why i go to that area in winter B)

Every year they seem to get worse. Thats why i go to that area in winter B)

That's only because every year the US invests less in damage prevention.

Guest beachbum

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add a few thoughts...

I'm a Pensacola, FL native. I was born and raised here. m Part of the reason I've lived the 33 yrs I have is because my family and I have been smart enough to get the hell out of the way when a big a$$ storm is heading in our direction. As soon as on makes it into the Gulf, OUR BAGS ARE PACKED.

Now, saying that, I have a few rants I'd like to share:

#1. If you are living in a soup bowl that lies under sea level, you probably shouldn't stay there when waves are cresting at 24+ feet!!!! Especially when your city depends on ELECTRICITY to pump the water out. Ummm...hello! You're going to loose power during any storm of significant size. Those that could have left, and chose not to should have had to figure out a way to leave by themselves after the storm - in Florida, "Manditory Evacuation" means just that - "GET OUT" -and those who choose to stay are left to fend for themselves. Of course, most people heed the warning and find higher ground.

#2. Both Nagin AND Blanko need to be prosecuted for MURDER. Yes, I said it out loud. Don't tell me that the parking lots full of school busses that got flooded couldn't have been used to evacuate those who did not have the means.

#3. Anyone who had children or disabled in their care that died as a result of not evacuating should be tried for murder. The blonde-headed lady that had the small baby (shown often on the news), stranded at the convention center - she's a prime example. She's going to stand there and cry about her baby not being responsive because it was dehydrated. I got news for you, lady. That baby should be taken away from you for endangerment. You failed to remove that infant from a harmful situation. I hope the baby lived, but if it didn't, I hope that woman suffers that nightmare every sleeping moment, and I hope she rots in hell for being a s****y person.

#4. I tried for five days straight - emailing every disaster relief organization, calling, etc to offer help. I could have gotten more response by beating my head against a brick wall until I bled. The only thing I could get out of them was "send a monitary contribution ...blah, blah, blah...". SCREW YOU! I had boats, equipment and people standing by to go into the affected areas to offer relief. In the end, I had over 60 people from across the US and Canada, staging in Biloxi, MS. We did it on our own - debris removal, emergency transportation, food and shelter items, doctors, nurses, skilled tradesmen, heavy equipment, repair of shelters, even an Angel Flight full of vaccinations - out of our own pockets and by donations. Still to this day, I have not received a response from any of the agencies I initially contacted. Unfortunately, we were only able to help those survivors in the Mississippi Gulf coast area, but I am confident that the support we did provide helped some people and changed some people's lives.

Now, I have finished my rant. I have made about ten trips to New Orleans. Every time I go back, things look better; however, there are still large pockets of New Orleans that still don't have electricity - areas that are within a few miles of downtown. The few hotels that are open are so expensive, it's unbelievable. What is really sad is that the price gouging is affecting not only the people returning, but it is also the people that are there to help rebuild.

I pray for New ORleans and its people. I know I sounded cold-hearted earlier, but in all honesty, I cried for weeks after the storm for those who had perished, and those that would perish. I lost a friend in Ivan, and lost several friends in Katrina. I mourn for them.

I mourn for a city that was once so alive, and is now a shell of its former self. New Orleans will never be the same. The rising waters of Katrina washed away some of the flavour of the city. I mourn MY city. And I will miss it.

An interesting rant. I don't share all sentiments, but many I do.

For what it's worth: there's life after such a disaster. When a considerable part of my country was flooded in 1953 not only was the damage repaired eventually, serious effort was spent to avoid future repeats. If the people of New Orleans want to rebuild their city, they will. If they want to avoid repetition of Katrina, they can. Just kick them politicians in gear.

regards,

Hein

<<snip>>

#4.  I tried for five days straight - emailing every disaster relief organization, calling, etc to offer help.  I could have gotten more response by beating my head against a brick wall until I bled.  The only thing I could get out of them was "send a monitary contribution ...blah, blah, blah...".  SCREW YOU!  I had boats, equipment and people standing by to go into the affected areas to offer relief.  In the end, I had over 60 people from across the US and Canada, staging in Biloxi, MS.  We did it on our own - debris removal, emergency transportation, food and shelter items, doctors, nurses, skilled tradesmen, heavy equipment, repair of shelters, even an Angel Flight full of vaccinations - out of our own pockets and by donations.  Still to this day, I have not received a response from any of the agencies I initially contacted.  Unfortunately, we were only able to help those survivors in the Mississippi Gulf coast area, but I am confident that the support we did provide helped some people and changed some people's lives.

<<snippity snip>>

Now, I have finished my rant.

May I say that the fact that you got off your 'bum' and tried to do something about the situation holds you high in my esteem. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who actually takes action as you did has optimum ranting rights.

I hope that woman suffers that nightmare every sleeping moment, and I hope she rots in hell for being a s****y person.

Good rant, except for this bit.

It's sentiments like that which start wars.

How about wishing that she learns the error of her ways, becomes a better person and goes around helping those less fortunate than herself, the way you do, with such humility?

I dreamt last night that there was a massive earthquake in California. Specifically, the southern San Andreas fault and the San Jacinto faults moving simultaneously, wreaking Mag-8.0 havoc on the locals.

faultmacyy2.gif

Offshore Japan was hit by what is thought to have been the 7th most powerful earthquake. The pictures of the Tsunami coming ashore are immense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_e...ake_and_tsunami

I'm sure this disaster will be counted in the thousands of dead and missing. Sad - but that's mother nature in action and I feel no further new commercial or residential buildings should be allowed in coastal areas that could be affected by random 10 metre high waves coming in from tectonic effects in earthquake prone areas.

p.s. Although it seems no major building collapses happened today, I feel many minor areas of damage may go un-noticed. After a number of years of weathering, water damage may insue, and should another major quake hit then they may not again be so "lucky".

Yes the logflume looks popular at Tokyo Disneyland today.

Hmm, so much for sympathy, Godzilla is trending on Twitter just now.

Guest Guest
Offshore Japan was hit by what is thought to have been the 7th most powerful earthquake. The pictures of the Tsunami coming ashore are immense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Sendai_e...ake_and_tsunami

I'm sure this disaster will be counted in the thousands of dead and missing. Sad - but that's mother nature in action and I feel no further new commercial or residential buildings should be allowed in coastal areas that could be affected by random 10 metre high waves coming in from tectonic effects in earthquake prone areas.

p.s. Although it seems no major building colapses happened today, I feel many minor areas of damage may go un-noticed. After a number of years of weathering, water damage may insue, and should another major quake hit then they may not again be so "lucky".

just reported that entire towns on the east coiast of Japan are on fire..the death toll is at least 1000 but will probably rise exponentially according to reports

just reported that entire towns on the east coiast of Japan are on fire..the death toll is at least 1000 but will probably rise exponentially according to reports

Maybe it's me, but I really don't see the point of making worthless posts like that one. It's all on the news, we have eyes and ears. Now, maybe if there was a famous Japanese person involved...........

Maybe it's me, but I really don't see the point of making worthless posts like that one. It's all on the news, we have eyes and ears. Now, maybe if there was a famous Japanese person involved...........

True HCW. Not famous but we are waiting on news here in our house, my mum's brother and his family were travelling to Japan this month from Sweden where they live to meet my cousin's soon to be in-laws. Not sure of the dates but we haven't managed to get hold of them yet to find out if they are ok. We think they must be as bad news travels fast.

The California annual surf contest has this year being won by a squinty looking chap on a wardrobe!

*Edited for mong spelling!

My Japanese girlfriend has just dumped me.

Never mind, there's plenty more in the sea

I was going to give something to the earthquake appeal but then I saw this bloke being interviewed and he had a massive boat on his drive!

I recently subscribed to instant earthquake alert messages on my cell phone. Its woken me up every night since I signed up, telling me theres been another quake in Honshu. And it never even sent me one about the quake in Myanmar. I think Im gonna try and get that off my phone... But I also have celebrity death alerts from Celebrity Death Beeper. Now thats a nice service to have.

Knock knock

Who's there?

Sue

Sue who?

Tsunami!!!!!

Re[ports coming in that New York and washington have been hit by an earthquake with structural damage to buildings reported.The pentagon white house and othe rmajor buildings have been evacuated.A nuclear power plant has been taken offline as a precaution

Re[ports coming in that New York and washington have been hit by a large earthquake with structural damage reported.The pentagon and othe rmajor buildings have been evacuated

What does this have to do with dying celebrities?

Re[ports coming in that New York and washington have been hit by a large earthquake with structural damage reported.The pentagon and othe rmajor buildings have been evacuated

What does this have to do with dying celebrities?

some people might have died you never know