Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Ed Williams from the Naked Gun series. Seemed decrepit back then and turns 98 this year.

• Like 1

Surprised to find that former Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan campaign manager Stu Spencer is still alive at 97. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

I was going through Billboard's first Top 100 chart (the predecessor to the Hot 100 record chart) published on November 12th, 1955, and was surprised that at least 5 people from the chart are still with us. Those being:

• Pat Boone (89)- #8 At My Front Door; #21 Ain't That A Shame; #52 No Arms Can Ever Hold You
  • Jaye P. Morgan (92)- #19 Longest Walk; #37 Pepper-Hot Baby; #68 If You Don't Want My Love
  • Mindy Carson (96)- #33 Wake The Town And Tell The People
  • Peggy King (94)- #61 Learnin' To Love 
  • John Perkins (92; of the Crew Cuts)-#89 Gum Drop

Sadly I couldn't find any more information on session members of The Dream Weavers, The Loreleis (Gail Menefee and Peggy Reinagle), Tommy (Russ) Gilberto of The Three Chuckles, Glendon Kingsby of The Cadets, Bill Christ of The Gaylords, members of Ray Charles Singers (who performed on the "Autumn Leaves" record) and Matthew Platt of The Turbans, so there's a slight chance there's more of them around these days.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LWCZ said:

I was going through Billboard's first Top 100 chart (the predecessor to the Hot 100 record chart) published on November 12th, 1955, and was surprised that at least 5 people from the chart are still with us. Those being:

• Pat Boone (89)- #8 At My Front Door; #21 Ain't That A Shame; #52 No Arms Can Ever Hold You
  • Jaye P. Morgan (92)- #19 Longest Walk; #37 Pepper-Hot Baby; #68 If You Don't Want My Love
  • Mindy Carson (96)- #33 Wake The Town And Tell The People
  • Peggy King (94)- #61 Learnin' To Love 
  • John Perkins (92; of the Crew Cuts)-#89 Gum Drop

Sadly I couldn't find any more information on session members of The Dream Weavers, The Loreleis (Gail Menefee and Peggy Reinagle), Tommy (Russ) Gilberto of The Three Chuckles, Glendon Kingsby of The Cadets, Bill Christ of The Gaylords, members of Ray Charles Singers (who performed on the "Autumn Leaves" record) and Matthew Platt of The Turbans, so there's a slight chance there's more of them around these days.

I had pared through those charts in 2020/21 and during that time I found a music website ran by Gail Menefee's nephew that has an article on the Loreleis. The site is still being updated, so I'm inclined to assume Menefee still alive until he mentions otherwise. IDK if the same would apply to Reinagle.

• Like 1

Carroll Rehmke, the lady who was present when her friend Janet Adkins became Dr Jack Kevorkian’s very first assisted suicide — alive and well at 87 living near Seattle, WA.

More a reminder than a discovery, but as the Let it Be movie (1970) gets a reboot following the television series that mined all the footage it's dragging director Michael Lindsay-Hogg (seen here on the right in 1944) back into the newsfeeds. So much so, in fact, maybe the fact he turns 84 on Sunday might get mentioned too.

Geraldine-Fitzgerald-Lindsay-Hogg-1944.j

Yvonne Furneaux is 98 next week. She was the female lead in The Mummy (1959) which starred Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee. Some of the cast died way back in the 1970's.

• Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Yvonne Furneaux is 98 next week. She was the female lead in The Mummy (1959) which starred Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee. Some of the cast died way back in the 1970's.

All this was mentioned little over a month ago…

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

All this was mentioned little over a month ago…

Ah but the film was on today in which she appeared - on Legend formerly known as Horror Channel. Not sure why it was mentioned a month ago although I know she has appeared in a French thread but many will not know she did not appear exclusively in French films. Also her birthday is next week.

• Facepalm 1

Just now, The Watcher said:

Ah but the film was on today in which she appeared - on Legend formerly known as Horror Channel. Not sure why it was mentioned a month ago although I know she has appeared in a French thread but many will not know she did not appear exclusively in French films. Also her birthday is next week.

Why are you facepalming me? I’m just telling you all of this was mentioned very recently by another member, thus it doesn’t merit being repeated. Learn to use the search function. You’ve been here long enough to know better.

• Facepalm 1

The 1959 version of The Mummy is always available to watch for free if you have Amazon Prime. 

It’s also an awful movie. The 1930s version was far superior.

That Cecil Parkinson documentary @YoungWillzflagged up has brought up that Lord Sanderson of Bowden, then a Tory party big wig and who later wrote the report on why the Tories were doing shit in Scotland, is still alive aged 91. Retired from the Lords years ago.

• Like 1

To do with something I'm writing I was looking into the career of actress Wilma "Willi" Burke, looks like her Linkedin page is still active and can't see an obvious obit. Might be covered on death if only because she's the subject of the lyrics in Save the Last Dance for Me, written by her (then) husband Doc Pomus

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

To do with something I'm writing I was looking into the career of actress Wilma "Willi" Burke, looks like her Linkedin page is still active and can't see an obvious obit. Might be covered on death if only because she's the subject of the lyrics in Save the Last Dance for Me, written by her (then) husband Doc Pomus

Do you have any idea for her date of birth?

2 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Do you have any idea for her date of birth?

No, she's very low profile though there's an IMDB page, but no Wikipedia page.

I'm thinking the few online obsessives who give a shit would have mentioned any death. She's apparently alive here:http://akadocpomus.com/cast/willi-burke/