Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

On 24/09/2022 at 23:03, maryportfuncity said:

Mervyn Brown - ex-diplomat and probably the greatest living British authority on the history of Madagascar. Recall reading about him ages ago, saw him name-checked in the paper today because he's just turned 99. No mention of how much of the stuff he learned about Madacascar would still be available if you asked him, mind.

Sir-Mervyn-Brown.jpg

Sir Mervyn Brown OBE (wiki) died on 28th September, four days after his 100th birthday.

Times death notice.

Spoiler

BROWN Sir Mervyn KCMG, OBE, died peacefully on 28th September 2023, aged 100, four days after his birthday. Husband of the late [Dr] Beth Barfield Brown. Diplomat, musician, tennis player, historian of Madagascar, fine cook and host; he will be much missed by a wide circle of family and friends, here in the UK and around the world.

• Like 4

Thomas K. Delahanty, the police officer who was shot during the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan is most likely still alive at the age of either 87 or 88.  There's not been any confirmation of him being alive since 2016 and he's also known to be a quite reclusive so dying under the radar isn't something I would rule out, although I doubt that would happen because his death will definitely get some news coverage in the American press.

• Like 2

Dunno which niche musical thread to post this in because Ramases and Selket were so far out even in the days of hippiedom that they've always been celebrated as much by those who love nutters as those who love prog etc. but...

Ramases died by suicide in the 70s but doing some Googling tonight Selket - aka Dorothy Laflin - seems to be very much with us. Still recording by way of re-visiting their old cult hit, aged 80, last year:

https://www.suffolknews.co.uk/sudbury/news/musicians-climate-change-message-finds-new-life-50-years-la-9244298/

People like David Attenborough and Ruth langsford mother both late 90s are still alive which is shocking what's keeping these old people alive 

I mean Ruth langsford mother joan langsford is old and wrinkly and crinkly and smells and will pass away later this year 

22 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

People like David Attenborough and Ruth langsford mother both late 90s are still alive which is shocking what's keeping these old people alive 

I mean Ruth langsford mother joan langsford is old and wrinkly and crinkly and smells and will pass away later this year 

Did Joan Langsford run over your dog or bully you as a child or something? What's going on there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

bro got beef with joan langsford 

47 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

Did you go up to her and give her a big whiff?

• Haha 1

If u go to Ruth langsford instagram there is a certain scent coming off her plus it's disgusting that she is still alive at 95 while everyone else is dying she is being selfish using uo resources were everyone else neefs just hurry up abd die already 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

If u go to Ruth langsford instagram there is a certain scent coming off her plus it's disgusting that she is still alive at 95 while everyone else is dying she is being selfish using uo resources were everyone else neefs just hurry up abd die already 

Are you related to drol?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

• Like 3

But it's true look at recently died everybody else is dying at lare 80s etc she is still alive shocking 

Not only thst ruth langsford is poisoning her mother by giving champagne abd booze to  a 95 Yr old should be reported plus she has dementia and alzeimers and smells 

3 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

But it's true look at recently died everybody else is dying at lare 80s etc she is still alive shocking 

Not only thst ruth langsford is poisoning her mother by giving champagne abd booze to  a 95 Yr old should be reported plus she has dementia and alzeimers and smells 

I don't think I've ever seen such poor spelling, grammar and use of punctuation on this site, apart from maybe that of John Sulu.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

If u go to Ruth langsford instagram there is a certain scent coming off her

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fair fucks, that really tickled me 

• Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, Deathrow66 said:

• Like 1

David Lawton who played the chef (Mr Booth) at Crossroads and acted in many TV & stage roles for decades was 100 recently with very little media notice. When his stint at Crossraods came to an end for a few months, he would always make the same statement about going to the stockroom to check on supplies!

9 hours ago, The Watcher said:

David Lawton who played the chef (Mr Booth) at Crossroads and acted in many TV & stage roles for decades was 100 recently with very little media notice. When his stint at Crossraods came to an end for a few months, he would always make the same statement about going to the stockroom to check on supplies!

He could easily Q/O when he dies depending on how the announcement is made. 

• Like 1

There are still a handful of veterans from Britain's nuclear weapons testing program still alive. Close exposure to radioactive fallout from the testing has taken it's toll on them with majority having suffered from cancer of some kind. These veterans have been clashing with the government because they haven't been given any recognition or compensation for their service, I believe they did finally have service medal established recently but nothing beside that. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nuclear-veterans-fight-ministry-defence-30976711.

I'll be doing some more research here and compile a list of these veterans who are still alive.

On 21/06/2023 at 15:04, YoungWillz said:

Catching up on threads I missed during my reduced activity earlier this year and noting that he would have Q/O half way down this page.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12304475/SPORTS-AGENDA-Jeff-Stelling-set-succeed-Laura-Woods-host-talkSPORTs-breakfast-show.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 28/10/2023 at 18:04, The Immortal said:

There are still a handful of veterans from Britain's nuclear weapons testing program still alive. Close exposure to radioactive fallout from the testing has taken it's toll on them with majority having suffered from cancer of some kind. These veterans have been clashing with the government because they haven't been given any recognition or compensation for their service, I believe they did finally have service medal established recently but nothing beside that. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nuclear-veterans-fight-ministry-defence-30976711.

I'll be doing some more research here and compile a list of these veterans who are still alive.

Several of these nuclear veterans were there for the march at the Cenotaph and several names are mentioned in this article, I have also found several others that I can confirm alive from other recent articles. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heres-what-cenotaph-is-for-31420383

Here is the list I can compile for now of living nuclear veterans (and ages if known). 

John Morris (85)
Gordon Coggon (86)
Bob Last (92)
Eric Barton (82)
John Gibbs (87)
Brian Unthank (85)
Terry Washington (89)
John Williams (81)
Bryan Jarvis (85)
Michael Dillon (84)
Roger Filby (85)
Terry Quinlan
Terry Hughes
Colin Moir

Marilyn Venable, who wrote the story story "Time Enough at Last", which was later adapted for one of the most famous Twilight Zone episodes (Burgess Meredith, nuclear bomb, lots of books, broken glasses) is apparently still alive at 95. She was in a retirement community in 2012 and still writing letters to her local newspaper the following year, but can't find any other immediate information about her.

• Like 2

Dunno about the q/o chances but Susan George's mum-in-law (i.e. mother of the late Simon McCorkindale) appears to be still alive and 98

415214006_1560451738053512_7445817925913

• Like 1

I noticed that Brian Glanville wrote Franz Beckenbauer’s obituary in the Guardian and was surprised to find he is still alive at 92, though not sure if he is still writing anywhere. He looked ancient when I was reading him in World Soccer about 20 years ago.

• Like 2

Glanville was still writing into his eighties but is now retired. His obits are polished archive ones. 

Incidentally I've done a @Gooseberry Crumble. Glanville was a regular pick of mine but not unique for years so I've dropped him and no one picked him! He's now doomed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JonNgoat said:

I noticed that Brian Glanville wrote Franz Beckenbauer’s obituary in the Guardian and was surprised to find he is still alive at 92, though not sure if he is still writing anywhere. He looked ancient when I was reading him in World Soccer about 20 years ago.

Jeff Powelll looks pretty ancient every time he posts a tribute including today to Mike Dickson the tennis correspondent for the Daily Mail who died  aged only 59.

Gerald Harper (title role in Adam Adamant & Hadleigh) is 93 next month

John Barratt (BBC tennis commentator 1971-2006) is 93 in April - married to Angela Mortimer a former Wimbledon champion

• Like 2