Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Interesting, only just found this thread & I remember a week back finding out Sally Oppenheim, who used to be the shadow secretary of state for prices and consumer protection back in late 70s is Turning 96 in July! If I knew she was still about could've been a decent deathlist candidate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Watcher said:

Gerald Harper (title role in Adam Adamant & Hadleigh) is 93 next month

John Barratt (BBC tennis commentator 1971-2006) is 93 in April - married to Angela Mortimer a former Wimbledon champion

2b41561a9778763214721fc2345ea8c0.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Listening to the Rest is History 1974 episodes, I was surprised that Harold Wilson's Press Secretary, Joe Haines, is still alive aged 96. I thought he'd died several years ago. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Listening to the Rest is History 1974 episodes, I was surprised that Harold Wilson's Press Secretary, Joe Haines, is still alive aged 96. I thought he'd died several years ago. 

There's a name I haven't heard for a long time. Similarly, I'd assumed he'd have died years ago.

9 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

We had hoped so, he's a cunt:

• Like 7

Yes, I remember being really shocked when a colleague opined of Freddie Mercury  that "those sort of people brought it on themselves".

Apart from anything else, people who died of AIDS around that time would almost certainly have contracted it before it was known about.

Mind you, I never liked the guy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Yes, I remember being really shocked when a colleague opined of Freddie Mercury  that "those sort of people brought it on themselves".

Apart from anything else, people who died of AIDS around that time would almost certainly have contracted it before it was known about.

Mind you, I never liked the guy. 

The conduct of Mercury's private life was not in my ball park. In fact, even today, some folks within the community conduct their private lives in a manner that would make your hair stand on end. But then so do some heterosexuals, including some politicians and journalists we all know about.

Haines' massive generalisation to extrapolate that to the whole community was astonishing. Let's not forget, that article was in The Mirror for gawds' sakes. A disgusting journalist who should probably have been jailed or at least had the arse sued out of him. And yet he lives.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The conduct of Mercury's private life was not in my ball park. In fact, even today, some folks within the community conduct their private lives in a manner that would make your hair stand on end. But then so do some heterosexuals, including some politicians and journalists we all know abou

He meant gay men in general.

• Like 1

Didn't know that about Haines - grim. The Rest is History podcast isn't exactly flattering about him either. 

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

He meant gay men in general.

Think we are at cross-purposes and in agreement. The whole treating gay men or indeed the community as one homogenous group is as bad as the old anti-Semitism or saying all women are whatever, or all people on boats are illegal immigrants.

Haines and your guy - well they still exist in some form or another. Even the whole Rangers/Celtic thing. I'd like to see more diminishing that sort of person, than taking away the right of adults to decide whether to smoke or not. ;)

*sparks up another ciggie*

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Think we are at cross-purposes and in agreement. The whole treating gay men or indeed the community as one homogenous group is as bad as the old anti-Semitism or saying all women are whatever, or all people on boats are illegal immigrants.

Haines and your guy - well they still exist in some form or another. Even the whole Rangers/Celtic thing. I'd like to see more diminishing that sort of person, than taking away the right of adults to decide whether to smoke or not. ;)

Yes, he meant they deserved to die of Aids because they were gay should have known better. 

Hence me saying that many people contracted HIV before it was known about, so it wasn't fair to criticise them for not taking precautions. 

It was clear to me that he meant it homophobically though.

Can I have a drag of your ciggie?  Five years since I had one.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Stop smoking. Your contributions are valued here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Can I have a drag of your ciggie?  Five years since I had one.

We're off-topic now but it's two years tomorrow since I last had a cigarette (stopped after realising the extent of my denial about my habit). Have stopped restocking my humidor too, and I can now be around smokers without the burning desire to join in, so all is well.

You don't need that drag!

Anyway, back on topic...yeah, Haines, cunt.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just found that Italian actor Nando Angelini (Wiki) is still aliveee at 91, every site on net saying he died on 2020 is wrong, gave an interview and denying all the fake news.

Wiki and IMDb needs an edit!

I'd forgotten about Joe Haines writing that.

On 18/02/2024 at 14:50, Deathrace said:

Didn't know that about Haines - grim. The Rest is History podcast isn't exactly flattering about him either. 

Thanks for the tip Deathrace.

I'll give that pod a listen,

On 29/05/2022 at 21:31, Captain Hemlock said:

Recently saw a Facebook post about longtime New York news anchorman Bill Jorgensen, who retired back in the 1980’s. Apparently, he is still alive at age 95

Bill Jorgensen (Wikidead at 96

• Like 3

Richard O'Sullivan- still alive at time of writing.

Debra Paget (born 1933) is 91 later this year. She played the love interest (Lucia) of Victor Mature (died 1999) who played the title role in Demetrius & the Gladiators which was filmed 70 years ago in 1954 so not surprisingly she is the only major cast member still alive. The film and its predecessor The Robe are showing on various channels today as it is Good Friday.

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

Debra Paget (born 1933) is 91 later this year. She played the love interest (Lucia) of Victor Mature (died 1999) who played the title role in Demetrius & the Gladiators which was filmed 70 years ago in 1954 so not surprisingly she is the only major cast member still alive. The film and its predecessor The Robe are showing on various channels today as it is Good Friday.

Yep I have her on an upcoming pool list.  She also played Lilia in the 10 Commandments 

• Like 2

In my forensics class, we've been watching a short documentary about the body farm (a large plot of land where people do research on the way human bodies decay) and I was surprised to learn that the founder, William Bass, is still around. Not only that, but it seems he's still somewhat active. Maybe hanging around with rotten flesh does well for the human body. 

• Like 2

On 25/02/2022 at 11:36, Lafaucheuse said:

Simone Weber (wiki) french convicted murderer of her husband and suspected in 2 others deaths is still alive at 92. One of the most important criminal case of the XXth century in France. 

Simone Weber, "la Diabolique de Nancy" dead at 94. Surprisingly enough, this makes all the front cover right now (and a breaking news notification from Le Monde ;)) whereas I thought she might have died under the radar… Should have put her on my french list, didn't know she was famous enough. 

She was convicted of having cut up her husband with a concrete grinder but always refuted the allegations

• Like 3

Just been watching an episode of the TV miniseries War and Remembrance from 1989. Two actors in that episode I had forgotten about and were surprised to find were still alive are: Milton Johns (who played Eichmann in W&R and Brendan Scott in Coronation Street) is 86 this year and Kenneth Colley, 87 in December, played SS Standartenfuhrer Paul Blobel in W&R and also featured in a couple of Star Wars films. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve said:

Just been watching an episode of the TV miniseries War and Remembrance from 1989. Two actors in that episode I had forgotten about and were surprised to find were still alive are: Milton Johns (who played Eichmann in W&R and Brendan Scott in Coronation Street) is 86 this year and Kenneth Colley, 87 in December, played SS Standartenfuhrer Paul Blobel in W&R and also featured in a couple of Star Wars films. 

Kenneth Colley had a leading role in my favourite Inspector Morse episode of all time, "Second Time Around", alongside Oliver Ford Davies (born in 1939) and Ann Bell (born in 1938) who I correctly thought were still alive but also Pat Heywood (born in 1931) who I assumed to be long gone but appears to still be alive. 

• Like 2