Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

13 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Jacques Rozier (wiki) french cineast still alive at 95

STOP posting your made up word everywhere!

4FC13CC2-D1A9-4F04-9BAD-D3060028DF5B.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

STOP posting your made up word everywhere!

4FC13CC2-D1A9-4F04-9BAD-D3060028DF5B.jpeg

FACT, all words are 'made up'.

Anther FACT: The Oxford dictionary gives 'cineast' as an alternative to 'cineaste'. So does Merriam-Webster.

One would have thought, with a language that favors (see what I did there?) dropping letters, you'd support this spelling.  

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, time said:

FACT, all words are 'made up'.

Anther FACT: The Oxford dictionary gives 'cineast' as an alternative to 'cineaste'. So does Merriam-Webster.

One would have thought, with a language that favors (see what I did there?) dropping letters, you'd support this spelling.  

Do you speak this language too? 

• Haha 1

Above all else I'm confused how 2 mentions of "cineast" constitutes as "everywhere" :blink:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Above all else I'm confused how 2 mentions of "cineast" constitutes as "everywhere" :blink:

Just nipping it in the bud before it got out of hand.  Go back to your non-Adminning.

• Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Just nipping it in the bud before it got out of hand.  Go back to your non-Adminning.

Ahah out of Hand, isn’t that a tad too much ? I just used a rare word because I’m french and I speak english as I can with What I know of the language.

anyway, there’s a thread called « irate visitors, rage here if you must ». I suggest you take a look at this one as you seem to have anger issues

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/05/2022 at 07:20, Gisooo said:

American actress Betty Phares (IMDb) who appeared with Laverne Thompson and Lindsay Bourquin (both dead) in The Three Stooges is still alive at 97

According to StarTiger she died on Jan 26th 2019, but was an error because in July 2019 she signed an autograph. So I submit a delete of her death info on IMDb

Betty Phares - IMDb  

Betty Phares is gone

She died on July 2, 2022 on Huntington Beach, California at the age of 97.

https://threestooges.net/cast/actor/372

• Shocked 1

On 19/12/2021 at 19:44, arghton said:

eeroaarnio.thumb.png.9f7cf2515a50812e115dd1aff96e2e9c.png

Update on Eero Aarnio, creator of the Ball Chair, now 89:

Received some kind of an "lifetime achievement award" at a cultural gala last month. Spoke clearly, still sharp and could stand without a stick.

https://www.is.fi/asuminen/art-2000008806557.html

New article. Ball chair creator Eero Aarnio will be 90 this month and seems to be in amazing health physically and mentally and is still working. His wife, Pirkko Aarnio is 92 and has had a few hospital visits recently but seems to be doing great too 

On 04/03/2022 at 15:07, Lafaucheuse said:

Van-Dinh jewelry creator Jean Van-Dinh (wiki) is still alive and will turn 95 this year

Dead

• Like 2

American playwright George S. Kaufman (Wiki) daughter, Anne Kaufman Schneider (IMDb) is still living at 97

23 Anne Kaufman Schneider Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty  Images 

• Shocked 1

On 30/03/2021 at 19:35, arghton said:

Found out 90s Finnish foreign minister Heikki Haavisto is still alive today and 85. 

I'm suprised as he suffered an intracranial hemorrhage (around 25-50% mortality rate during the first four weeks, 82% ten years) in 1995 and was paralyzed. Had very unhealthy habits in the 80s and 90s,  and a couple of years before the ICH caused a car crash, drunk

Here he is at 80.

IMG_20210330_191716.thumb.png.fe1a2b00a4bf4fa6a66bad5fe136f771.png

Heikki Haavisto, Foreign Minister of Finland 1993-1995 dead at 86, 27 years after his near-fatal stroke.

• Like 2

Maya Ruiz Picasso, born 1935, daughter of Picasso is still alive and the subject of an exhibition at the Picasso museum until december

• Shocked 4

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Maya Ruiz Picasso, born 1935, daughter of Picasso is still alive and the subject of an exhibition at the Picasso museum until december

Did some digging as this shocked me. I didn't realize how relatively recent Picasso's era was!

Not only does he have multiple children alive, but also an ex-partner who is now 100 years old!

(Wiki) Françoise Gilot for those interested.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Did some digging as this shocked me. I didn't realize how relatively recent Picasso's era was!

Not only does he have multiple children alive, but also an ex-partner who is now 100 years old!

(Wiki) Françoise Gilot for those interested.

Yeah she is in my list, will obviously get a french breaking News When she goes as she had a lot of article for her 100th birthday 

• Like 2

On 06/01/2022 at 14:10, Spade_Cooley said:

Carolyn Bryant Donham, the woman who accused Emmett Till of "interacting inappropriately," leading to her husband and brother-in-law lynching him and becoming probably the first widespread cause celebre of the civil rights movement, is still with us. Would have assumed she died ages ago, and being as she's never been mentioned on her or picked in the DDP, so probably do you.

She's probably not going to be with us much longer:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11060011/Emmett-Tills-accuser-Carolyn-Bryant-Donham-seen-Kentucky-time-nearly-20-years.html

• Like 3

Edith Piaf's half sister Denise Gassion, born 1931 is still alive. Couldn't find a lot about her but she wrote a book about her sister. This is quite surprising as everyone in Piaf's family died between 40 and 50 yo

also Ginou Richer, Piaf's best friend and secretary, born 1927, is still alive. Way more famous than Denise Gassion, she wrote some books about Piaf and gave a lot of interview. Will definitely get a qualifying obit in France when she goes. I almost put her on my list this year.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

American jazz singer Yvonne Lanauze (known also as Eve Smith) is still living, aged 97 in Vancouver, Canada, former wife of actor Daryl Duke (Wiki)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8102739/

She sang Duke Ellington tracks—the remarkable 15 minute theme and variations version of "Mood Indigo" recorded by the orchestra on December 19, 1950 for the Masterpieces by Ellington album.

Ted Gioia sur Twitter : "@szarka Here are two more photos to compare—left  from the video, on the right a publicity photo of Yvonne Lanauze.  https://t.co/h745jMeman" / Twitter    Jazz musician, 91, who played with Duke Ellington, now entertains residents  at seniors' home | CBC News

• Like 3

Wasn't aware that Finnish artist Erik Bruun is still alive, now 96.

He designed the Saimaa ringed seal logo of the Finnish Association for Nature Conservation, posters for Jaffa (drink), here's some of his creations:

bruun.png.a36fd8e086f8acac751d46ca18ad8e5e.png

He's still very active, here in April, finishing his latest work at 96:

bruun2022.png.7afa7ed0a5638ba4c768cec80634d420.png

• Like 3

I honestly assumed all of MLK jr’s brothers and sisters have died at this point, but no he has an older sister (Christine King Farris) who’s still alive at 95!

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Mervyn Brown - ex-diplomat and probably the greatest living British authority on the history of Madagascar. Recall reading about him ages ago, saw him name-checked in the paper today because he's just turned 99. No mention of how much of the stuff he learned about Madacascar would still be available if you asked him, mind.

Sir-Mervyn-Brown.jpg

• Like 2

On 07/06/2016 at 20:38, Spade_Cooley said:

Ramblin' Jack Elliott. Released his first album in 1955, Bob Dylan originally was marketed (falsely) as "the son of Jack Elliott", the fact he's not hagiographed to bits by BBC 4 means I assumed he was long gone (lonesome blues), but he's still around at 84.

Article of Ramblin' Jack Elliott from today. Still on the road:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/28/arts/music/ramblin-jack-elliott.html

After decades of touring, the nonagenarian is resilient. He’s recovered from triple bypass surgery and two “little strokes” that left him unable to play the guitar for about a week.