maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

He won’t be living in his Eighties.

I’ve been informed he married a girl from Royal Oak, Michigan (10 miles from my couch) and was a resident there for a while.

I loved KJ and a big RIP.  Night Time was easily one of the best complete albums of the…80s

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

He won’t be living in his Eighties.

I’ve been informed he married a girl from Royal Oak, Michigan (10 miles from my couch) and was a resident there for a while.

I loved KJ and a big RIP.  Night Time was easily one of the best complete albums of the…80s

Nirvana certainly took note of the main riff for Eighties! But did Killing Joke themselves take it off the Damned?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Mr Big Stuff singer Jean Knight being reported Dead at 80

Who do you think you are (posting such awful news)?

• Haha 2

Brian Godding, guitarist and primary songwriter with the British cult pop psych group Blossom Toes, has died at 78 according to messages left by friends and family on his Facebook page. Blossom Toes weren’t very successful but their records are highly sought after today. He later played with jazz / progressive acts like the Mike Westbrook Band, Centipede and Magma. 

Quite incredible that Mr. Big Stuff never charted in the UK, and yet it’s since become a very popular song here.

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Quite incredible that Mr. Big Stuff never charted in the UK, and yet it’s since become a very popular song here.

Not heard her version, but the version in the film Kinky Boots.

Otherwise, an advertiser's staple track over the years I think.

4 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Brian Godding, guitarist and primary songwriter with the British cult pop psych group Blossom Toes, has died at 78 according to messages left by friends and family on his Facebook page. Blossom Toes weren’t very successful but their records are highly sought after today. He later played with jazz / progressive acts like the Mike Westbrook Band, Centipede and Magma. 

Yeah, I'll out myself as an admirer and owner of reissued stuff. 

35 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Reddit currently has a thread up on Michael Bolton looking ancient and being unaware of his surroundings

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/s/9kkbPLxUwX

I was actually at the taping (well in the background behind the cameras, maybe 200-300 feet away from where they were actually filming at most). His act was the only one I saw that night (or the next day) that used entirely pre-taped music, including his performance. What I could see (above the giant hedge planters and from my relatively limited vantage point) seemed to agree with this Reddit thread and my own viewing of the special last night.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Chad Allan, the original lead singer for the Canadian rockers The Guess Who, has died at age 80

https://vancouversunandprovince.remembering.ca/obituary/chad-allan-1089111079

Original lead singer of The Guess Who.  Supposedly.  He left in 1966, and they hadn’t done a damned thing until Burton Cummings arrived.

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Original lead singer of The Guess Who.  Supposedly.  He left in 1966, and they hadn’t done a damned thing until Burton Cummings arrived.

Nobody gives a damn about them pre-Burt really. Hell, when I last saw the group, only the drummer was original (and he was drinking the entire time).. New singer was pretty good though, even if he exclusively sang their classic stuff...

On 22/09/2023 at 10:18, Bibliogryphon said:

Just seen this on X

Denny Laine from Wings has set up a Go Fund Me page for his 'Significant Health Challenges'

image.png.f7b8ab74ecb0b325f7565125867f256f.png

Denny Laine being reported dead: 

Of course I need something in English and awaiting the usual.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Denny Laine is in my ears and in my eyes….

Something more readable on Denny Laine: 

Obits to flow.

Today’s also the 50th anniversary of the US release of Band On The Run, so a bit of sad timing…

• Like 2

Loved Denny, excellent musician and songwriter. Quite sad that the man who co-wrote “Mull of Kintyre” needed a GoFundMe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Mike Pinder left as the last survivng original member of Moody Blues.

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Loved Denny, excellent musician and songwriter. Quite sad that the man who co-wrote “Mull of Kintyre” needed a GoFundMe.

Aye, whatever moans he had about the slices of recording and live income from Wings, the writing dosh on that alone should have been enough to keep someone in a decent lifestyle.

• Like 2