Guest IYG

Drunk? Bored?? Psychopath???

I hate my team.... BOOOO!!!!!

Presumably you support the Dallas Academy girl's basketball team then? Their most recent drubbing is even making me wonder if I should look for another team to support.

All of the above in the thread title. What ever happened to DL chat?

Very few go on it now..................... Thanks MSN

I just received a PM about this... very interesting.

I've got some piss and vinegar in me in the new year... two fights in one month is way above average for me these days... I'm sure it will fade away as life continues to take its toll on me. :blink:

I just received a PM about this... very interesting.

I've got some piss and vinegar in me in the new year... two fights in one month is way above average for me these days... I'm sure it will fade away as life continues to take its toll on me. :unsure:

Keep me informed if you don't mind... I have a bitch to come. :rolleyes:

This is a terrible time of year for us Americans. February has horrible weather. Football (not soccar) is over. College basketball is a month off and baseball is after that. I hate this time of year.

This is a terrible time of year for us Americans. February has horrible weather. Football (not soccar) is over. College basketball is a month off and baseball is after that. I hate this time of year.

Sorry to disagree Miser, but college basketball is being played all over the country as we speak. Could you be referring to the NCAA Tournament (aka March Madness)?

Try living in Scotland where the weather is equally sh*t, and where we are all too fat to participate in sports.

The worst part is it has absolutely nothing to so with the time of year...

What you need is some cricket to cheer you up. :smiley_f:

Try living in Scotland where the weather is equally sh*t, and where we are all too fat to participate in sports.

The worst part is it has absolutely nothing to so with the time of year...

No tossin' o' the caber, W?

Perhaps this is just me suffering the effects of being both drunk and bored but the comments made by Harry and TMIB earlier about this forum becoming too genteel has really struck a chord with me. Far be it for me as a newcomer on this forum to dictate how things should be done, but there does seem to be rather too much tolerance given towards pointless posts made (more often then not) by timid newcomers. For example, just yesterday, a newcomer by the name of 'ethnic cleansing' posted twice in quick succession in the Dead of 2009 thread, both times reporting the deaths of people who had already been reported on. The response? A somewhat tepid and mild mannered rebuke, which has probably done little to put that same person off doing the same in the future.

Now I'm not advocating a return to the days of Star Crossed mercilessly laying in to whichever unsuspecting victim took his fancy, and I know it's always good to encourage newcomers, but surely we need to start knocking a firmer line in the direction of nothing posts by people who haven't bothered to suss the ways and means of this forum before they start typing. Perhaps we should adopt this helpful blueprint for new members which Godot put together last year?

Thoughts or otherwise? (apart from the fact that this is quite possibly drunken b*llocks).

Now why bring Star Crossed up? He's not been here for months and he's way before your time.

Now why bring Star Crossed up? He's not been here for months and he's way before your time.

Am I bringing back bad memories for you or something? I mention him, because anyone with even a passing interest in the DL will probably be aware of his existence, (if you like blame Godot for linking several of last year's monkey awards to his posts) and whilst I don't agree with the way he seemed to actively seek out hostilities with other members, I do have some sympathy with his views. I named and shamed 'ethnic cleansing' the other day as someone who seems to have little or no grasp of the search facility, and they have gone and proved my point once again today by 'announcing' the death of Willem Kolff some 10 hours after it was first noted. Either they are the alias of a regular member who is just on the wind up (or even Deadly Doug!), or they have insufficient grey cells to provide any sort of worth in the long run, and thus should be humanely put down now by a short sharp rebuke, preferably by someone with more authority on these boards than myself.

I do realise that I'm laying myself wide open to accusations of having ideas above my station so soon after having joined the forum, but stupidity is ten a penny on most forums and I really would rather see this forum bereft of base ineptness.

Am I bringing back bad memories for you or something?

Na.

He was just a bit of a tosser.

Na.

I'm gonna fly in the face of what I perceive as public opinion here. I actually quite liked Star Crossed and his rather brusque style. I though it added quite a bit of verve to the forum. Admittedly, at times he was a like bulldog with lockjaw, but that's nothing a whack on the back of the skull with a bit of 4x2 wouldn't cure.

I'm not gonna say I miss the good old days, but, well, uhm, never mind...

Na.

I'm gonna fly in the face of what I perceive as public opinion here. I actually quite liked Star Crossed and his rather brusque style. I though it added quite a bit of verve to the forum. Admittedly, at times he was a like bulldog with lockjaw, but that's nothing a whack on the back of the skull with a bit of 4x2 wouldn't cure.

I'm not gonna say I miss the good old days, but, well, uhm, never mind...

At the risk of sounding like SC's good pal Six, I agree with honez. Sure, he took his post-whore witch hunts and obsession with 'standards' a little too far at times (interested newcomers see the Patrick Moore thread), but he was a smart cookie and I wish there were more of his type around to save us from the deathspotters. He was also good value and far less brusque in deadchat (RIP).

Am I bringing back bad memories for you or something? I mention him, because anyone with even a passing interest in the DL will probably be aware of his existence, (if you like blame Godot for linking several of last year's monkey awards to his posts) and whilst I don't agree with the way he seemed to actively seek out hostilities with other members, I do have some sympathy with his views. I named and shamed 'ethnic cleansing' the other day as someone who seems to have little or no grasp of the search facility, and they have gone and proved my point once again today by 'announcing' the death of Willem Kolff some 10 hours after it was first noted. Either they are the alias of a regular member who is just on the wind up (or even Deadly Doug!), or they have insufficient grey cells to provide any sort of worth in the long run, and thus should be humanely put down now by a short sharp rebuke, preferably by someone with more authority on these boards than myself.

I do realise that I'm laying myself wide open to accusations of having ideas above my station so soon after having joined the forum, but stupidity is ten a penny on most forums and I really would rather see this forum bereft of base ineptness.

Not at all. I got on fine with SC, I get on fine with most people here, I just thought it odd that someone who has been here for about 6 weeks brought his name into it and it just made me wonder if perhaps you are yet another old regular hiding under a new name, or perhaps you're trying to further ingratiate yourself by picking up on in-jokes from the past or maybe you are sad enough to have read all of SC's posts. Perhaps you were just trying to pick fight, in which case, I've fallen straight into your trap. To be honest your "I'm only a newbie, but...." mantra is as tiring as "I'm not being funny, but.." and certainly as irritating as the likes of ethnic cleansing et al.

Not at all. I got on fine with SC, I get on fine with most people here, I just thought it odd that someone who has been here for about 6 weeks brought his name into it and it just made me wonder if perhaps you are yet another old regular hiding under a new name, or perhaps you're trying to further ingratiate yourself by picking up on in-jokes from the past or maybe you are sad enough to have read all of SC's posts. Perhaps you were just trying to pick fight, in which case, I've fallen straight into your trap. To be honest your "I'm only a newbie, but...." mantra is as tiring as "I'm not being funny, but.." and certainly as irritating as the likes of ethnic cleansing et al.

Well that's quite an assortment of potential accusations you've levelled at me there, so allow me to respond to them one by one.

1. Being an old regular hiding behind a different name - No. This isn't the first time someone has suggested that about me, and call me naive but I hadn't realised the trend of using multiple persona's on these boards was so prevalent. I can only reiterate that I'm a genuinely new member (who did lurk for a while admittedly), and that this is my only username.

2. Trying to ingratiate myself - How? And with who? It seems that you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't when engaging with regular posters around here. If you keep your head down and surface only to post death notices for obscure non-entities then you're just another low impact newbie. And yet if you actively try and join in, offer opinions, and, heaven forbid, make reference to someone who was 'before your time' then it's seen as trying to ingratiate yourself. All I'll say in my defence is that I don't have any grand scheme to try and curry favour with particular members. Believe it or not, I'm a pretty easy-going sort of person and I intend and expect to get on with most people here.

3. Being sad enough to have read all of Star Crossed's posts - I've no doubt certain people think me sad, but I'm not nearly sad enough to go to the lengths you've implied there. A quick skim through the Patrick Moore thread and one or two others should be enough to give anyone a decent grounding in SC's views.

4. Trying to pick a fight with you - Hardly. I didn't think my post was particularly antagonistic towards you. In fact, only the first line was directed at you and even then it was intended to be facetious.

5. Making constant reference to myself as a newcomer - OK. Criticism accepted. I shall hereafter make no further mention of my lower-caste status on these boards.

Brilliant! A fight, and it's only half past four! Just what these boards have been lacking in lately!

Brilliant! A fight, and it's only half past four! Just what these boards have been lacking in lately!

Absolutely and for the 3rd Friday in a row too. I did suggest to Bou last week that Friday should be renamed Fightday fighting0030.gif.

Well keep up the good work everyone, I'm off to the pub in a minute, and I expect to see full-on fisticuffs by the time I get back, that gives you a full 8 hours to let rip - don't let me down!

As there have been some doubts as to whether our new recruit, Raskolnikov, is actually one of our regulars in disguise,

Im sure some of our regulars will identify with this.....some more than others. :D

Am I the only person that genuinely believes Raskolnikov is a completely new member? :party: I know I am gullible*, but I do think he is, certainly his IP address doesn't trace to any current members (or guests), not that that says much, but I think and I hope that he is, as I rather like his posts.

*I was the last person to find out that this member was a (now departed) DL'ers alter ego and I only found out when he confirmed it to me by pm and told me it was common knowledge among the 'deadchatters'. Ironically the reason he'd pm'ed me in the first place was to complain bitterly about yet another member's alter ego :D. For the record I don't have an alter ego, my dog is a member (Yogi Bear) and I occasionally type for him, as he finds paws and keyboards incompatible, but apart from that, you are stuck with me.

I'm too tired tidying after my lazy, dirty housemates to argue tonight. I'll address Raskolnikov's points tomorrow, probably.