football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

Did a little bit of research on an interesting figure - Tsien Hsue-shen, Father of Chinese Rocketry. I'll spare you all the controversy and such, but he's 94 going-on 95 this year and apparentely not in good health, confined to a hospital and according to this (somewhat) older article "ailing" since 2003. Obit extremely likely due to, among other things, his role in China's Space Program and communist fears in America.

At the very least, a much more interesting figure than say, Ingmar Bergman or Ernest Gallo, since he's not only more likely to cark it, but also because there's plenty of controversy surrounding his person.

Just discovered that it's Michael DeBakey's birthday. A famous heart surgeon, made several key breakthroughs in his day. I remember reading he'd been hospitalised - ironically with heart trouble - earlier this year. Thought no more of it but his birthday has appeared in the press today so he's still alive, he's got a dicky ticker and - the really good news - he's 98 today and he has a Wiki page. A passable candidate for next year methinks.

My father-in-law has had DeBakey listed on his dead pool picks for the past 5 years. For some reason he left him off his list this year. I wonder if he remembers to put him back on for next year.

I'm havin' DeBaker for sure when I enter the DDP for the first time next year. Then again, he was ailing pretty bad earlier this year so he might stick it to the lot of us by checking out this year.

I'm havin' DeBaker for sure when I enter the DDP for the first time next year. Then again, he was ailing pretty bad earlier this year so he might stick it to the lot of us by checking out this year.

He'll be a good choice, although because of his age he won't bring in many points.

I'm going to put him on my own sweepstake DP which I'm pleased to say we now have 20 people participating which means the prize money goes up a bit more <_<

Is there such a thing as a 98 year old without a dicky ticker?

He could go on for years yet like Philip D'Arcy Hart, his heart supposedly, was also a tad dicky. Didn't stop him making 106 though.

I think there is such a thing Tempus, it'd be a person that age who'd not been treated for heart problems. DeBakey was so ill earlier this year that his life was in danger. I take yer point about people gannin' on but - short of finding out where they live and, ahem, getting involved - we've got to go on hunches and the rest. I predict with confidence he won't last another 98 years.

I saw Brian Clemens last night on one of those 50 greatest things (can't remember, was well snattered) he had a large lump on the back of his neck! Anyone know if it may be of interest to us?

Miguel Serrano, another bloody long lived author. Saw his 89th birthday announced in one of the big serious papers today but had to check out Wikipedia to discover summat about him.

Do you think - like - those of us posting regularly here will get the same long term health benefits enjoyed by authors, lots of them seem to live a long time.

John Bowman a member of the Black Panthers who claims he was tortured whilst in US custody has been diagnosed with stage four liver cancer.

Hardly famous in the UK I know, but he's been active politically until quite recently and would imagine that he would be ideal fodder for the seemingly infinate Guardian obits page.

How's that for my 600th post?

How's that for my 600th post?

You might have made the effort to spell "infinite" properly.

You being a PhD and all that.

Congratulations anyway.

Is DDT really a Ph.D?

Did he reveal such to us in a post I missed. I'm slowly headed in that direction myself. Next year - all being well - I'll have me second masters and become a MAMA!

Notapotato

That makes a great rumour, hope nobody else drops in on this thread and spots it is a rumour.

I get the feeling Dr Hack is the real deal, i.e. has medical qualifications of some kind. So, the DL may be sick but we sure aren't thick.

Sixty-nine year old Prince Victor Emmanuel is suffering from an unspecified ailment. I wonder what

it is. I also read that he chose the slammer over house arrest. Curiouser and curiouser.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=...50555500572R131

Well, no more news about his health ailment but he's in even more trouble now, for manslaughter....

Albert Gubay,78 year-old multimilionnaire founder of Kwik Save and Isle of Man resident is said to be in poor health in today's paper. I hadn't heard of him either but I'm sure he'd get an obit.

Gubay doesn't have his own Wiki page although he does show up in 71'st place on the most recent Sunday Times Rich List where his wealth is attributed to 'Property and Fitness Clubs.'

Gubay doesn't have his own Wiki page although he does show up in 71'st place on the most recent Sunday Times Rich List where his wealth is attributed to 'Property and Fitness Clubs.'

Would still get an obit though I'm sure. Not that it matters, it turns out that his "poor health" just refers to arthritis. I'm sure it's very painful but hardly life threatening.

Japanese cult boss Shoko Asahara loses his last appeal ... paving the way to his execution :banghead:

Sixty-nine year old Prince Victor Emmanuel is suffering from an unspecified ailment. I wonder what

it is. I also read that he chose the slammer over house arrest. Curiouser and curiouser.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=...50555500572R131

Well, no more news about his health ailment but he's in even more trouble now, for manslaughter....

:D You can dress him up but you can't take him out.

Guest Hells Bells

FIDEL CASTRO a must have.

btw i had this nickname befor - how cool?

;) ? How 'bout... a drug OD for Courtney Love or Whitney Houston? Some kind of :rip: mystery death for a Kennedy relation as it has been a couple of years since a family member has died and there have been a billion books flood the market on a family curse. It seems like it's about time for a child star to die too, an up and coming one... Maybe Haley Joel from The Sixth Sense or Dakota Fanning from the Hide and Seek from a car accident or another kind of 'freak' happening. I think it's also about time for Ed Macman to die, the side seat to Johnny Carson. He's older than dirt anyhow. Wilford Brimley and his diabetes commercials are getting on my nerves too, he can check out anytime as well. I also fear that Dr.Spock will go, Leonard N. from Star Trek. He's looking pretty rough! Is Carlos Montobon dead? If not, I'd say him too and the rest of the cast from Fantasy Island, the cast from Love Boat, the cast of Gilliagan's Island too. Unfortunately... :)

Welcome PDM, that's an ambitious start and an orgasmic proposition to us posters on death related matters. Can't agree with Whitney or Courtney mind. Whitney's finally divorcing the source of most of her problems and Courtney seems skilled in the management of her train wreck personality to the point that it's part of her image.

I reckon Francis Bean will go first!

Michael Mayne, big player in religious affairs at the BBC and emeritus summat or other in religious stuff at Westminster has published what is probably his last book. He recovered from ME and got terminal cancer. TBH he'd be a shoe in for next year but lacks a Wiki page and may lose out on a major paper obit. I just hope he sticks his opinion into the furore created by the pope this week, a bit of profile raising on his part now would help us around here later.