football_fan

Ideas and possibilities for 2007

I think this might affect the scope of the list of candidates: we'll all be bunging in remotely ill under 80s, whereas part of the charm of the DDP was the often obscure names that crop up, ususally quite old.

I actually think that might remain & even increase. Many, especially the newbies, will pick under 80's. The balance of the whole picking idea will go toward younger candidates, so someone who might have been picked by say, three people, before will be picked just once - ie. Sir Edward Ford, to give a recently deceased example.

Certainly I am more likely to go for people 80 plus & 90 plus who will be a unique hit (I hope) than risking it on someone younger. After all, in their 80's & a unique hit, will be as much as someone aged 70. and should that person die on the 13th..... :)

I tried that (picking younger more famous people) in the Weatherman Dead Pool & I'm near the bottom of that one. :)

Anyway, must go to bed now so here ends musings for now.

Are Pavarotti, Forsythe, Fawcett, Pleshette, Magnusson cured/will be cured or not?

It was my understanding (and to make this post more general and on topic) that Forsythe and Pleshette were cured. Pavarotti was "doing better," but pancreatic cancer is a shitty one to have, and I'm veering towards putting him on my own. Fawcett and Magnusson have had little or no news recently and, when it comes to cancer, no news is rarely good news. :)

Is Pinter near death or going to hang on for some years?

I'm a bit biased on this one, because after wasting my joker on him this year, I will never take him off all my lists until he's dead. :)

Should I include Maurice Papon, Sargent Shriver and Yitzhak Shamir, all in their 90's??

Papon is going on mine... that old bastard has got to go sooner or later, and it's not like I'm giving away a unique pick by telling everyone. Shriver was doing well and was only in the beginning to mid stages last I heard (his disease is supposedly progressing very slowly). Shamir is in the later stages for sure... but final, I'm not sure that I'm sure enough to put him at 91 on my list.

and do my mystery picks prove worth putting in - they may well be a unique pick, but will they die???

Don't forget the golden rule of the CPDP... you gotta make the game a little interesting.

I think this might affect the scope of the list of candidates: we'll all be bunging in

remotely ill under 80s, whereas part of the charm of the DDP was the often obscure names

that crop up, usually quite old.

I agree. I promise at least one old mystery candidate will still be on my list.

Should I include Maurice Papon, Sargent Shriver and Yitzhak Shamir, all in their 90's??

Papon is going on mine... that old bastard has got to go sooner or later, and it's not like I'm giving away a unique pick by telling everyone. Shriver was doing well and was only in the beginning to mid stages last I heard (his disease is supposedly progressing very slowly). Shamir is in the later stages for sure... but final, I'm not sure that I'm sure enough to put him at 91 on my list.

Yeah, I heard the same about Shriver. Right, he's off my list too unless I hear otherwise. I think I need to do a final sweep of all those I've discarded, in a few weeks, just in case one of them becomes "iller" of a sudden.

Papon I'm likely to put on, same reasons as Stuart, but also whilst Gloria Stuart is just a movie star, Papon is an evil son of a bitch, so no mixed feelings, and I'm not having him thrawht me by dying only when I remove him. :)

Russian billionare Suleimon Kerimov critically injured in Ferrari accident.

With 70% burns I'd put his chances at no better than 50/50.

Is Uncle Vladimir at it again? :shoot:

Guest Guest
My top 10 2006 death guesses are {& some of them I'd hate to put on this list, but hey, they're old}

Stan Lee

Hugh Hefner

Christopher Lee

Gene Wilder

Bruno Sammartino

Rosanne Barr

Justin Timberlake {I hate this bastard, for some reason, don't know why?}

John Goodman

Scott Weiland

Ian McKellen

Hmm.. how did Google take me to this page and present the above for me???? :shoot:Link to reply page disabled

Edited by Magere Hein

My top 10 2006 death guesses are {& some of them I'd hate to put on this list, but hey, they're old}

Stan Lee

Hugh Hefner

Christopher Lee

Gene Wilder

Bruno Sammartino

Rosanne Barr

Justin Timberlake {I hate this bastard, for some reason, don't know why?}

John Goodman

Scott Weiland

Ian McKellen

Hmm.. how did Google take me to this page and present the above for me???? :shoot:Link to reply page disabled

Reply pages sometimes get a mention in Google too. Just ignore.

regards,

Hein

I would like to suggest Victor Mature, Walter Slezak and Pol Pot and maybe even Dan Duryea along with Pernell Roberts.

How about Arthur Laurents, book writer of "West Side Story" and "Gypsy" and world class grumpy old sod (or is it bugger)? He's well over 90 but still giving the Bernstein/Sondheim people hell over a projected 50th anniversary production on Broadway of WSS. "Over my dead body" is his line. Bring it on say the rest. All that bile must take its toll soon.

How about Arthur Laurents, book writer of "West Side Story" and "Gypsy" and world class grumpy old sod (or is it bugger)? He's well over 90 but still giving the Bernstein/Sondheim people hell over a projected 50th anniversary production on Broadway of WSS. "Over my dead body" is his line. Bring it on say the rest. All that bile must take its toll soon.

Arthur Laurents was born on July 14th 1918 which makes him 88

Other than that, I can find very little on his health status.

[How about Arthur Laurents, book writer of "West Side Story" and "Gypsy" and world class grumpy old sod (or is it bugger)? He's well over 90. All that bile must take its toll soon.

Arthur Laurents was born on July 14th 1918 which makes him 88

Other than that, I can find very little on his health status.

Saw him in a documentary recently and looked fit & well. I would expect him to make 90 at least, though I can (and often have been) wrong before..

With more points on the DDP table for younger picks, 48 year old former WBA heavyweight boxing champion Greg Page might be worth a punt.

He currently in a stable condition in hospital with pneumonia, but he has had other serious health problems. Way past his prime, he was still boxing aged 42 when he was battered in to a coma and left brain damaged. He has been paralysed and wheelchairbound ever since.

From Wiki:

On March 1, 2005 Page was hospitalized from pneumonia and put on a ventilator. On February 24, 2006 Page was hospitalized again, this time for acute respiratory failure, sepsis, hypothermia, and seizures.

Now he has pneumonia again. Even if he pulls through this one, I doubt he will sail through 2007 without troubling the local intensive care unit again. :)

There are growing concerns in the French territory of Wallis and Futuna about the deteriorating health of the King of Wallis, 87-year-old Tomasi Kulimoetoke, who has been unable to attend several official ceremonies for the past three months.

There are growing concerns in the French territory of Wallis and Futuna about the deteriorating health of the King of Wallis, 87-year-old Tomasi Kulimoetoke, who has been unable to attend several official ceremonies for the past three months.

I won't pencil him on my list for next year unless he's still alive on Dec 31st. As chances are he'll die within a week :)

Phantom, is your avatar Saddam Hussein?

It's actually a Saddam Hussein look-a-like. I forget where I found the photo.

It's actually a Saddam Hussein look-a-like. I forget where I found the photo.

I wonder if he works for one of those lookalike agencies. He could make a very good living.

I wonder if he works for one of those lookalike agencies. He could make a very good living.

Not if he goes near a Baghdad jail any time soon & gets mistaken for the real one & then gets hanged in ol' Saddam's place. :)

Ultimately, wouldn't Saddam's death mean lookalike fortunes would be pretty much nil?

Not if he goes near a Baghdad jail any time soon & gets mistaken for the real one & then gets hanged in ol' Saddam's place. :)

Ultimately, wouldn't Saddam's death mean lookalike fortunes would be pretty much nil?

Nah - there's still people making a fortune being Hitler. Kinda makes one wonder.....

Noticed an 87 year old football coach by the name of Eddie Robinson on Wikipedia. According to the article he was the "winningest" coach in college football history. American football I must stress, so I don't know how famous he is but sounds like he'd get an American obit. Rumored to have Alzemiers too.

Noticed an 87 year old football coach by the name of Eddie Robinson on Wikipedia. According to the article he was the "winningest" coach in college football history. American football I must stress, so I don't know how famous he is but sounds like he'd get an American obit. Rumored to have Alzemiers too.

Eddie Robinson has suffered from Alzheimer's for some time now. My brother-in-law has placed him on his list for the past 5 years now.

I'm not American, just live over in the US. I hate the word "Winningest" in fact I had a look at the origin of the word and it seems to have been coined sometime during the mid-70s

Eddie Robinson will without a doubt get an obit on CNN and also Sports Illustrated. He is highly respected among college (American) football coaches

Eddie Robinson has suffered from Alzheimer's for some time now. My brother-in-law has placed him on his list for the past 5 years now.

I'm not American, just live over in the US. I hate the word "Winningest" in fact I had a look at the origin of the word and it seems to have been coined sometime during the mid-70s

Eddie Robinson will without a doubt get an obit on CNN and also Sports Illustrated. He is highly respected among college (American) football coaches

Wow, I thought it was a typo. Not in my dictionary though Google does give you a defintion from the American Hertiage Dictionary. Exactly what it sounds like in case anyone is wondering. Maybe Eddie could be considered then, even Alzheimer's doesn't nessecerily shorten life, at 87 theres a fair chance.