Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

I don’t think she looks that frail honestly. She looks thinner than other years maybe but honestly she looks quite healthy for a soon-to-be-96-yo-woman ! The only thing I would say is she’s seems a tad tired but nothing to worry about imo  

She still looks fine for a woman her age, sure, but I do think it's noteworthy that she is still noticeably thinner from even just a few months ago.  And it's not like it's a "oh you look great because you dropped some weight" kind of thin.  At least, not to my eye.  I just hope she's not slipping.  

• Like 1

I do not think Queen Elizabeth will die in 2022. I think her demise will be long and slow (remember the Viz Queen Mother memorial teatowel joke). I think there will be at least one Christmas where she does not deliver her Christmas message before the end. 

However I do see her along with Carter and Pope Benedict as too big to miss so understand her continued presence on the DL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinterCake said:

one to put on for 2022- disappeared alot from  public, looks like cgi on her christmas message. Seems like something is being hidden.

WinterCake? More like FruitCake.

There's nothing wrong with her. 

• Like 3

On 30/12/2021 at 05:39, MrWonderful said:

She still looks fine for a woman her age, sure, but I do think it's noteworthy that she is still noticeably thinner from even just a few months ago.  And it's not like it's a "oh you look great because you dropped some weight" kind of thin.  At least, not to my eye.  I just hope she's not slipping.  

She looked shockingly thin in the Christmas Broadcast, it was very obvious she was caked in makeup too to make her look presentable.  It's very sad to see how much she aged in 1 year, Prince Philip's death has take a huge toll on her.  In any case, I think she'll hang on long enough to get her Platinum jubilee and not "spoil the party" so I think she'll be around next Christmas.

• Facepalm 1

Why have they always had the jubilees in June rather then February?

Also i feel like she losing it upstairs to be giving Chris Whitty and others knighthood. I do approve of Tony Blair tho :P

1 minute ago, Miranda lass said:

Why have they always had the jubilees in June rather then February?

The same reason she has an official birthday in June.  Better weather.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zerbey said:

She looked shockingly thin in the Christmas Broadcast, it was very obvious she was caked in makeup too to make her look presentable.  It's very sad to see how much she aged in 1 year, Prince Philip's death has take a huge toll on her.  In any case, I think she'll hang on long enough to get her Platinum jubilee and not "spoil the party" so I think she'll be around next Christmas.

I had no intention of having her on my 2022 List before I saw that.  I figured she was just too healthy and wasn't a good bet to die.  But after seeing that, I think there's a much more realistic chance now.  I still would say she makes it to '23 and I certainly hope that's the case.  She's not a hit I want to get, frankly.  

I didn’t think she was that thin to be honest. Certainly thinner, but not death’s door thin. 

I can imagine she is under a lot of personal stress at the minute. I’d imagine she feels let down and disappointed by Prince Andrew and is probably aware that she will have to cut him off. I did see that there were calls for him to be stripped of his military appointments. I think she knows he is guilty as sin now and knows she will have to make an example of him.

The Harry and Meghan carry on is a mere sideshow for her.

• Like 3

And her Friends keep popping their clogs which is never a cheery prospect.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Miranda lass said:

Also i feel like she losing it upstairs to be giving Chris Whitty and others knighthood. I do approve of Tony Blair tho :P

You do realise she doesn’t pick who the honours go to, right?

Then again, you think someone who’s been trying to keep as much of the population healthy and alive as possible doesn’t deserve an honour but a war criminal does, so you very likely don’t realise much at all.

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

And her Friends keep popping their clogs which is never a cheery prospect.

Yes a very personal  loss in  Lady Farnham dying just weeks after her close friend and her mistress of the robes The Dowager Duchess of Grafton died.

2 hours ago, TQR said:

You do realise she doesn’t pick who the honours go to, right?

Then again, you think someone who’s been trying to keep as much of the population healthy and alive as possible doesn’t deserve an honour but a war criminal does, so you very likely don’t realise much at all.

Technically she did for Tony Blair. There was even an article in the Mail the other day talking about if the Queen has become more fussy to the higher than usual vacancy rate in Order of the Garter and Order of the Thistle.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Yes a very personal  loss in  Lady Farnham dying just weeks after her close friend and her mistress of the robes The Dowager Duchess of Grafton died.

Does anybody know who is the next in line for these prestigious posts. I mean how does one carry on without them.

15 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Does anybody know who is the next in line for these prestigious posts. I mean how does one carry on without them.

There is a team of them. Lady Susan  Hussey is another one. 

The Dowager Duchess of Grafton wouldn't have been fully active in her role for several years. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Technically she did for Tony Blair. There was even an article in the Mail the other day talking about if the Queen has become more fussy to the higher than usual vacancy rate in Order of the Garter and Order of the Thistle.

Wasn't it suggested she didn't really want to let Blair in (hence the long wait) but couldn't give anything to the other past PM's as it would then be obvious he was being snubbed?

2 hours ago, dodrade said:

Wasn't it suggested she didn't really want to let Blair in (hence the long wait) but couldn't give anything to the other past PM's as it would then be obvious he was being snubbed?

That was the report. Surprised she didn’t do Blair and Brown together.

• Like 1

Was it not reported somewhere that David Cameron tried to re-introduce the tradition of retired PMs being elevated to an Earldom? 

Not that it was self serving or anything…

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Was it not reported somewhere that David Cameron tried to re-introduce the tradition of retired PMs being elevated to an Earldom? 

Not that it was self serving or anything…

Do I detect sarcasm?!:D

19 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

That was the report. Surprised she didn’t do Blair and Brown together.

Apparently Prince William was happy for every serving former Prime minister to attend  his wedding in 2011 except  Tony Blair. John Major if I recall correctly  was a named guardian of some kind in relation to William and or a member of the order of the garter so would have been invited anyway??      I'm pretty sure Major attended the wedding. 

But anyway my point is in order not to make it obvious that Tony Blair was  being personally singled out to be the only one  excluded. The higher ups in the Palace decided the only way to prevent that was not to invite Gordon Brown  too. William was happy for Brown to be invited but it would have looked both bad and obvious. 

Thatcher wasn't an issue because she couldn't attend because of health reasons  and Prince Williams more formal link with Major was used to explain and justify his presence at the wedding but  not  Blair and Browns.

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Apparently Prince William was happy for every serving former Prime minister to attend  his wedding in 2011 except  Tony Blair. John Major if I recall correctly  was a named guardian of some kind in relation to William and or a member of the order of the garter so would have been invited anyway??      I'm pretty sure Major attended the wedding. 

But anyway my point is in order not to make it obvious that Tony Blair was  being personally singled out to be the only one  excluded. The higher ups in the Palace decided the only way to prevent that was not to invite Gordon Brown  too. William was happy for Brown to be invited but it would have looked both bad and obvious. 

Thatcher wasn't an issue because she couldn't attend because of health reasons  and Prince Williams more formal link with Major was used to explain and justify his presence at the wedding but  not  Blair and Browns.

Isn’t it somewhat ironic that Blair saved the lot of them from being guillotined in 1997 by a baying mob of Diana fans.

Prince Williams a wanker. His ma’s deed and he needs to get over it.  

• Shocked 2

3 hours ago, Windsor said:

Isn’t it somewhat ironic that Blair saved the lot of them from being guillotined in 1997 by a baying mob of Diana fans.

Prince Williams a wanker. His ma’s deed and he needs to get over it.  

I'm surprised  I thought  you'd be team William all the way and supportive of your future King!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'm surprised  I thought  you'd be team William all the way and supportive of your future King!!

The monarchy dies with him.

I’ll most likely be a Republican after Charles dies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If he keeps flying helicopters with his whole family in then you could be right, because King Ginge and Queen Whinge would definitely be the end of the monarchy.

11 hours ago, Windsor said:

The monarchy dies with him.

I’ll most likely be a Republican after Charles dies.

You think Charles is going to majorly f up his reign?

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

You think Charles is going to majorly f up his reign?

No. I think he will be a good transitional king. 

Most of the commonwealth with probably ditch the monarchy when the Queen passes so essentially he is going to take a lot of the historical flak for that even though it’s not necessarily his fault.

I think he will reign roughly 5 years and wouldn’t be surprised if he abdicates.

He hasn’t been that bad of a public servant. The worst he did was have an affair and an opinion.