Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Worth noting that the Queen will officially reach her 70 years on the throne 2 weeks from today.

cropped-qpj_emblem.png.4a5d6663264720d06b5d2b989447060f.png

• Like 3

Fantastic, let’s have a daily countdown, and maybe a celebratory wank when the anniversary comes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Fantastic, let’s have a daily countdown, and maybe a celebratory wank when the anniversary comes.

Ahh I have an appropriate tea towel all ready for that!

Image 1 - Vintage Linen & Cotton Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Tea Towel

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 04/01/2022 at 10:31, TQR said:

What purpose does it serve now?

a lot of nations are very impressed by a king or queens visiting. It does wonders for making deals etc. Especially in asia it works well. Also, a lot of people from their respective nations feel a certain unity in being united through a monarch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windsor said:

The only reason you liked Diana is because she made things happen in your trousers...possibly even when she was alive too.

Oh, I don't think she was that scary.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Windsor said:

The only reason you liked Diana is because she made things happen in your trousers...possibly even when she was alive too.

HAHAHA......no 

1 hour ago, odeon said:

a lot of nations are very impressed by a king or queens visiting. It does wonders for making deals etc. Especially in asia it works well. Also, a lot of people from their respective nations feel a certain unity in being united through a monarch.

Really not sure about any of that, but I’m very happy to agree to disagree :)

And I and many others will continue to take the piss out of the royals (and -ists) in the face of obsequiousness and, er, facepalms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odeon said:

Don't disagree, but there are also places, e.g. substantial parts of Europe, where people are very much not impressed by visiting royalty.

• Like 1

I remember being assistent to one of the aldermen somewhere in the netherlands when HRH Maxima (by then still princess) would come visit some project. Most of the times that would be considered a honour. But somehow all of the aldermen were more or less closeted republicans, so they each tried so shove off the royal visit to the other.

(but most of the times, even in the netherlands where it's hard to find people as loyal to the monarchy as the random person in this thread,  people would get impressed or stressed when some member of the royal family comes along, if only because of all the fuss surrounding it)

• Like 2

If I ever met the Queen, I think we all know how the conversation would go.

"So, you are telling one that one cannot get points in the Derby Dead Pool for removing one's picks from life?"

"That is so, your majesty."

"Bollocks. Call off the hit team on Andrew..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Reviewing memorbilia for her Jubilee. Looks and Sounds well (from seeing a video elsewhere) especially for a woman of her age

• Like 1

Lovely-Jubbly-Metal-SignNoveltyOnly-Fool

• Haha 1

Just come back from our local pub that is planning LOADS of activities over this two day bank holiday celebration. All sorts of stuff . Obviously big business (pubs) cant predict the future...but can you REALLY envisage a scenario where Liz doesnt make it ? And make many months to come after ? 

Not supposed to say it but I know one of the queen’s doctor who told me last week that she was « really fine » and didn’t even use her stick anymore. Didn’t tell me anything else, he can’t tell much obviously but let aside a sudden heart attack or something else, I think she’s safe for this year.

will probably delete this post later I’m not supposed to tell !

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grobler said:

Just come back from our local pub that is planning LOADS of activities over this two day bank holiday celebration. All sorts of stuff . Obviously big business (pubs) cant predict the future...but can you REALLY envisage a scenario where Liz doesnt make it ? And make many months to come after ? 

As long as she makes it to Sunday, she will have reached her Platinum Jubilee, since she succeeded her father on 6 February 1952.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Not supposed to say it but I know one of the queen’s doctor who told me last week that she was « really fine » and didn’t even use her stick anymore. Didn’t tell me anything else, he can’t tell much obviously but let aside a sudden heart attack or something else, I think she’s safe for this year.

Delete away. I've just quoted you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I predict she will die on the anniversary or soon thereafter. Or or passes on her Jubilee (whatever its called)

It will be the Biggest Death this year but still not surprising. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheCemetaryMan said:

I predict she will die on the anniversary or soon thereafter. Or or passes on her Jubilee (whatever its called)

It will be the Biggest Death this year but still not surprising. 

Nadine Dorries, is that you?

21 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

well the walking stick part is definitely not true 

• Like 2

Not surely on death's door, but she sensibly declined during this past year.

Not so different from Mahathir, once unsinkable, now only half-unsinkable...

She certainly looks a bit more frail but for a 95 year old she still looks pretty well and certainly got all her marbles 

She has lost a bit of weight, but if we can believe anything Lady Colin Campbell says, that may be due to giving up whatever unsuitable little snack caused problems.

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

if we can believe anything Lady Colin Campbell says

I’m sure Liz is absolutely fine, but why in the name of FUCK would anyone do this?

• Haha 1

I think she is looking better than she has in the last year seems more steady on her feet.Still seems completely on the ball mentally.Whatever her health issues last year she looks better I think.

Now I  have said that she will conk out tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drol said:

Not surely on death's door, but she sensibly declined during this past year.

Not so different from Mahathir, once unsinkable, now only half-unsinkable...

She’s declined slightly. Mahathir has cardiac problems which is far more serious than back/posture issues.

Seems a lot of nonagenarians declined over the lockdowns. Not being able to stay as active had a negative effect on them physically. I watched the tribute to Betty White the other day and her step daughter said that if it hadn’t been for the pandemic, Betty would have continued working and that she’d still be here.

If the Queen had been 4-5 years older during the lockdowns I think the pandemic would’ve had a much worse impact on her. Very important to keep moving at that age.