Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Paul

The Canadian Paul Deadpool

Luciano Pavarotti is dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6981032.stm

Congratulations to those who picked him.

What they said. Adding to that is the fact I've updated the site to reflect that.

I noticed a mistake: You forgot to award points to the theme team "Godot's Fatties".

Indeed you are correct, thank you for pointing that out! The problem has now been rectified.

Site updated to reflect the death of Sir John Compton. Congratulations to Windsor, who now holds first place in the Theme Team category.

Site updated to reflect the death of Tasker Watkins. Congratulations to 2FAAS, who now shares top billing in the Theme Team category with W.

Site updated to reflect the death of Jane Wyman and my questioning of SITD's recent whereabouts. :unsure:

Site updated to reflect the death of Jane Wyman and my questioning of SITD's recent whereabouts. :unsure:

Here. At my PC. You can't stick me with these 3 deaths. Got nothing to do with me! Honest Gov'.

Guest Guest

Ian Porterfield is dead. Congratulations to mr. Odstock for picking him.

Since people have been polite enough not to die lately, I actually managed to get some work on the site done. The literal ABCs of the CPDP are up now, so if you have a candidate whose last name begins with A, B or C (which I think is everyone), please have a quick glance and make sure that I haven't made a mess of your candidate's page (copy and pasting has many a flaw).

Since people have been polite enough not to die lately, I actually managed to get some work on the site done. The literal ABCs of the CPDP are up now, so if you have a candidate whose last name begins with A, B or C (which I think is everyone), please have a quick glance and make sure that I haven't made a mess of your candidate's page (copy and pasting has many a flaw).

I see a flaw on Kenojuak Ashevak's page: She is said to be born June 18, 1955, but she's actually actually born on October 3, 1927. (EDIT again: I see you fixed it now)

EDIT: For Bin Laden's page, you say he's an obscure Halibut theorist. Do you mean terrorist?

I see a flaw on Kenojuak Ashevak's page: She is said to be born June 18, 1955, but she's actually actually born on October 3, 1927. (EDIT again: I see you fixed it now)

EDIT: For Bin Laden's page, you say he's an obscure Halibut theorist. Do you mean terrorist?

Ah, thank you. I knew that I'd do that at least once with all the copying and pasting - I did fix it after reading your message.

Are you implying that bin Laden is an obscure Halibut terrorist? He's certainly not obscure as a terrorist. <_<

Anyhow, letters D, E and Y are up (well, and Z as well I guess), which is enough until at least Tuesday as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, thank you. I knew that I'd do that at least once with all the copying and pasting - I did fix it after reading your message.

Are you implying that bin Laden is an obscure Halibut terrorist? He's certainly not obscure as a terrorist. <_<

Anyhow, letters D, E and Y are up (well, and Z as well I guess), which is enough until at least Tuesday as far as I'm concerned.

Aah, I guess the wording was just a bit weird for me on bin Laden then.

Well done on the hard work. Just a query? I know famous for famous is subjective but I would argue that Sandy Allen and my own choices of the Dionnes should be deducted points for that.

Well done on the hard work. Just a query? I know famous for famous is subjective but I would argue that Sandy Allen and my own choices of the Dionnes should be deducted points for that.

I disagree vehemently. <_<

Sandy Allen has been well known for some 20 years as the tallest (or one of the tallest) people in the world & on countless TV programmes & magazine articles.

Ahem.. that she is my pick in no way clouds my judgement on the matter... no siree... not a jot ;)

I don't see how being famous for being tall is different from being famous for being old or famous for being related to someone or being a quintuplet. People have only heard of her because she's tall and now she's in poor health, she's only made these appearence because she's tall and not for any other reason. She's not an athlete she not an actress she's known because of a quirk of her birth and that makes her no different from the Dionnes in my view.

I'm not getting at you. I mentioned two of my candidates that would lose points too.

I thought about that for all of them, to be honest, but I took into account the spirit of the famous for being famous rule. The reason I instituted it was to discourage picks that are uncreative and were simply chosen on their high likelihood of dying. Sandy Allen and the Dionnes fit the spirit of "interesting picks" with the CPDP and I think punishing people for those kinds of picks defeats the purpose.

I thought about that for all of them, to be honest, but I took into account the spirit of the famous for being famous rule. The reason I instituted it was to discourage picks that are uncreative and were simply chosen on their high likelihood of dying. Sandy Allen and the Dionnes fit the spirit of "interesting picks" with the CPDP and I think punishing people for those kinds of picks defeats the purpose.

Ok fair comment.

Update time and issues abound. So when I got to "H" I realized that I had included a "W. Houston" (probably Whitney Houston) despite the fact that no one had picked her. So I had to go back and delete her reference from ALL of the candidates that I had done up to that point. Took some time, but I got it done.

Then today, I got to "K" and realized that there was an "H. Karzai" (I'm assuming Hamid) that no one had picked. Further inspection showed that I can included Edward Upward as well, but thank God I realized it before I got to the Us. So now I have to excise Karzai and Upward from all the candidates that I've done thusfar and then place Upward in the Hall of Ghosts and all of the "ghost" candidates from last year.

Deciding that the latter would be easier, I went ahead and did that, so hopefully that's all sorted. So I guess the whole point of it is this: A-J are now up, along with anyone who's died, Mikhal Kalishnikov, Weird Al Yankovic and Rabbi Oviada Yousef. Out of all those, however, the A-J all have slight errors that I now have to go back and fix, which will cause further delays in getting the Hall of Candidates up.

Other than venting, the point of me telling you this is to ask you to please take a quick look and see if there's anything else that will require mass changes like this, so I don't end up in the late Ts and have to go back and redo everyone's page.

For Matayoshi Jesus's page, it mentions:

SELECTED BY: Six's Pick-sies (Year 1)

Six's Pick-sies

Looks like you forgot to add a "(Year 2)".

For Matayoshi Jesus's page, it mentions:

SELECTED BY: Six's Pick-sies (Year 1)

Six's Pick-sies

Looks like you forgot to add a "(Year 2)".

Thanks. Fixed.

So I screwed up again (forgot to add Jeff Healey) so there's going to be a new format. Starting soon, the current candidates will have their own frame on the CPDP, therefore meaning that I only have to update one list the next time I screw up. Thanks to NAP for the brilliant idea. The Hall of Ghosts candidates, however, will still have their own table.

Updated to reflect the death of Lois Maxwell and my new format for the Hall of Candidates. Hopefully this will make the Hall of Candidates go up much faster (unlikely, but possible).

Guest Guest

on the Ian Porterfield page, it mentions:

Ocotopus of Odstock

It's supposed to say Octopus of Odstock

Thanks, site updated. Also fixed the Porterfield page mistake. Also, I got an error message when trying to deliver the last email update to one of the participants. If you didn't get the last email, please send me an email to the pool address and I'll sort it out.

Meanwhile, I should be having more time, so I'll try and work on the Hall of Candidates soon.