Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Paul

The Canadian Paul Deadpool

Toronto sportswriter Milt Dunnell has died and easily met the ordinary team obituary requirements. I can't say when the site itself will be back up, but I'll try to update the scoreboard for Arfons and Dunnell tomorrow.

Well, the CPDP is back on its feet... sort of. The site can be found at www.canadianpaul.com/main.html. Omitting the main.html will take you to a version without the left frame, which I need to fix, but that's certainly not the biggest of my problems right now. Here's the situation as it stands:

Everything is uploaded to the site, but not necessarily linked. So if you're really wanting to see something but can't get there, it's probably because the link leads to the landpirates version. Anything that you want to see can be found at www.canadianpaul.com/url.html. So it's all there, if not directly linked to. Fixing all of the links will be my first priority, starting with the team pages. For now, however, all the main links from the side frame are up, so you can see scores (the most important part) for sure.

For some reason, I've had trouble with loading pages. Clicking refresh a couple of times does the trick. If an error message occurs, it's a bad link. If a blank page occurs, it just needs a refresh.

To get the site up and running, I used GoDaddy's free hosting, which puts that annoying banner at the top of all the pages. I'll try and work to get rid of that.

I haven't sent out emails yet, but I will do so once more of the site itself is working.

Good luck CP, you have my every sympathy. If anything, you probably have to do more work than I do on DDP in some aspects. Keep it going.

I also have my theme team idea for 2008/09 so hopefully you'll keep it going another year..

Good luck CP, you have my every sympathy. If anything, you probably have to do more work than I do on DDP in some aspects. Keep it going.

I also have my theme team idea for 2008/09 so hopefully you'll keep it going another year..

Thanks, I'll need it. The extra work is my own fault, thanks to me continually not taking scsi's simplifying suggestions up. :rolleyes: If I don't become a casualty of the 2007-2008 CPDP myself, it'll be back next year for sure. :banghead:

Meanwhile, all the teams are up and linked, so if you've forgotten who you've picked, you can review it now. The direct links to the candidates don't work yet though.

I think Sir John Harvey-Jones was on my CPDP theme team? If so, that's a good start to the NY for me!

Yes, a unique hit for your Theme Team. In addition, Hillary was a unique hit for Windsor's Theme Team, so both of you get a second Theme Team hit. I'm kinda tired from my flight, so I'll update the site tomorrow - by then, Suharto might be dead anyhow, which will save me having to do a second update. Congrats to you both!

Excellent.

Surprised he was a unique pick.

Site updated to reflect the deaths of John Harvey-Jones and Edmund Hillary and to fix the Hall of Candidates so that the photos all work (good luck getting them all to load at once though...). Congrats to Windsor and OoO, who are now first and second respectively in the Theme Team competition. This of course means that Suharto is about due to die anytime now, which will be good for you who picked him on the DDP (13th).

We're getting there CP, all my candidates look like Landpirates when I click on them but apart from that it's now possible to follow the riveting competition and feel morose at my theme team's pathetic standings, 'C'mon Suharto....deliver you bastard!!'

A death of genuine cultural significance like Marie's should grab the obit headlines and make people think, shouldn't it?

Instead, it's instantly eclipsed by some ODing hollywood johnny-come-lately with (possibly) a needle in his arm and (probably) an eroded septum. Makes me :( and quite :P too.

A death of genuine cultural significance like Marie's should grab the obit headlines and make people think, shouldn't it?

Instead, it's instantly eclipsed by some ODing hollywood johnny-come-lately with (possibly) a needle in his arm and (probably) an eroded septum. Makes me :( and quite :P too.

Yes me too.

Marie Smith, whom I had in my team last year but didn't carry over has died aged 89. Bugger, that's the second time that's happened as the same happened with Chad Varah too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Smith

A shame really, and I think that Star Crossed sentiments should apply to World War I veterans as well. Out of the four veterans that have died thus far this year, one (de Cazenave) got international intention, one (Wychech) got some low key press, one (Cambefort) got no press at all because apparentely you're only good enough to be a veteran in France if you served for four months and one (Kastner) is from a government who barely even acknowledges his existence.

In any case H, if it makes you feel better, Pleshette was another "picked last year, not picked this year" candidate. Once my work and my birthday are done with, I'll be updating the "Hall of Ghosts" so that it a) Works and :P Reflects the death of these two

Site updated to reflect the death of Suharto, as well as making the Hall of Ghosts (somewhat) more functional.

Also, I just found out that former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Steve Rodehutskors died back in October 07 at the age of only 43 from cancer. I mention this only because I was trying to decide between putting Tyrone Jones and Rodehutskors on my team, and went with the former because the latter didn't even have a Wikipedia page, so I figured he might not get a proper obit. That would have been good enough. Plus I figured that, given his age, he was worth a mention here. :party:

Site updated to reflect the death of Earl Butz, which puts The Professional in third place in the theme team category; well done. I also forgot to mention in the email that I got the Hall of Ghosts fully functional, so if for some reason you wanted to see that, it's all up.

Congratulations to Dave to the Grave's normal team and End of the world as we know it's theme team for picking Henri Salvador, who has received a suitable obit.

Congratulations to Dave to the Grave's normal team and End of the world as we know it's theme team for picking Henri Salvador, who has received a suitable obit.

Indeed, well done to both teams. Forgot to mention that I updated the site a few hours ago to reflect Salvador's death. As an aside, everything on the site works now except for the individual current candidate pages themselves. But if you're just interested in the text, they're all properly linked from the individual team profiles now.

Well, being sick has a few advantages among the many, many disadvantages. And since my plan to sneeze on Clinton fell by the wayside, I've finally got around to updating the CPDP to its new domain. So yes, everything finally works on the site again (although chances are with 330 odd names, I made a mistake somewhere, so if you see a broken link somewhere, please give me a heads up). Given the track record of my site working though, you might want to check out while you can...

No rest for the wicked, apparently. Site updated to reflect the death of Janez Drnovsek - congrats to OoO who is in first place now in the Theme Team category, and to The Carking Lot, who moves into joint-second place in the Ordinary Team category.

No rest for the wicked, apparently. Site updated to reflect the death of Janez Drnovsek - congrats to OoO who is in first place now in the Theme Team category, and to The Carking Lot, who moves into joint-second place in the Ordinary Team category.

Hurrah!!! :rolleyes:

Makes up for my complete lack of success in the DDP. Also proves it sometimes pays to check Wikipedia as I wouldn't have discovered Janez was a form of John otherwise!

Guest Guest

Instead, it's instantly eclipsed by some ODing hollywood johnny-come-lately with (possibly) a needle in his arm and (probably) an eroded septum. Makes me :lol: and quite :rolleyes: too.

Yes me too.

Maybe this will cheer Handrejka and Star Crossed up a little.

Update will come shortly for Healey and Bhanbhagta Gurung, as the link is a suitable obituary for a Theme Team. Pre-update congrats to Godot's Waiting List and 2 Farts and a Splash.

Update will come shortly for Healey and Bhanbhagta Gurung, as the link is a suitable obituary for a Theme Team. Pre-update congrats to Godot's Waiting List and 2 Farts and a Splash.

Update done for them + Pym. Congrats to all involved!

Guest Guest

Is there a link to the site - I can't see one?