Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Paul

The Canadian Paul Deadpool

In the order they were received:

To Die For: You can send a working email to cpdp2006 at gmail dot com (the same place you sent your picks) and I'll add you to the mailing list.

Windsor: OK, that's what I figured re: Haig, I just wasn't sure. And I feel you on the email thing.

Handy: Godot submitted 10 candidates, but one was deceased and he hasn't replied with a replacement. I figure he's not the type to steal someone else's good pick and I didn't want to delay the whole site because of him, so I put it up with the nine for now, though he's rapidly running out of time to find a replacement.

DttG: Hmm... I had always thought that those were three separate articles (as in, the not so had nothing to do with gifted and black), but the "but" would clarify it, so I'll fix it up right away.

I appreciate the appreciation, although don't hold your breath on the Hall of Candidates. I'll probably be doing those very slowly, not that it makes much of a difference for the pool itself. I'm thinking they'll all be up sometime around Christmas. :lol: I have got all the pictures though.

Thanks CP, your a star!!

Although I'm not sure you should be feeling Windsor's email thing in public :dead3:

I had to send an emergency email to our star deadpool organizer because I just found out that there was an American Martin O'malley who happens to be the Governor of Maryland. I put the elderly Canadian journalist O'Malley on both my teams. Last week I didn't know about either one of them of course, but now it's been sorted out. Thank you CP!

Which can only mean that the robust, young Governor of Maryland is going to keel over any day now.

The Hall of Ghosts is now up. Mostly present for historical purposes, bored and nostalgic people can browse old picks, past hits and retired players. The relevant profiles have been updated as well.

Mono: I'll get to your name thing soon, when I feel like updating all the team pages. :dead3:

Have just sent a replacement CP if it might be permitted. Sorry but have been away a lot, missed a lot deaths and dealthlisting this year. I thought Kalashnikov might be fitting replacement.

regards,

Godot

Have just sent a replacement CP if it might be permitted. Sorry but have been away a lot, missed a lot deaths and dealthlisting this year. I thought Kalashnikov might be fitting replacement.

regards,

Godot

Done. Also done: the Hall of Scores. Marvel at being in a 23-way tie for first place, daydream about last year's scores and hits or ignore completely.

Great work CP, and well done Stab in the Dark for the first hit!

well done Stab in the Dark for the first hit!

Indeed, well done. Site updated to reflect the death of Jane Tomlinson, which, of course, puts Stabby in first place in the Ordinary Team category and the rest of us in second.

Indeed, well done. Site updated to reflect the death of Jane Tomlinson, which, of course, puts Stabby in first place in the Ordinary Team category and the rest of us in second.

Given that she was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the most recent honours list, you could argue that it is quite a big miss for my theme team.

For some strage reason, I didn't even consider her.

Given that she was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the most recent honours list, you could argue that it is quite a big miss for my theme team.

You didn't consider her because - and I don't mean to speak ill of the dead in this remark (even though I guess I am) - she was C-list and, in spirit at least, CP's deadpool is celebrating A-list departures. She was the equivalent of a walk on part in Coronation Street. That aside, it seems she wasn't fooling us even if she did stretch the meaning of "imminent" in the longest goodbye since Lester Piggot's retirement. She did some good too so I'm not snearing at her efforts, just musing on fame etc.

You didn't consider her because - and I don't mean to speak ill of the dead in this remark (even though I guess I am) - she was C-list and, in spirit at least, CP's deadpool is celebrating A-list departures. She was the equivalent of a walk on part in Coronation Street. That aside, it seems she wasn't fooling us even if she did stretch the meaning of "imminent" in the longest goodbye since Lester Piggot's retirement. She did some good too so I'm not snearing at her efforts, just musing on fame etc.

I admittedly did toy with the idea of docking a point for famous for being famous... it was sort of a borderline case... I ended up deciding that she had fame by my technical definition... perhaps not in the spirit though. I also thought, would I dock Terry Fox for being famous for being famous? Not a chance.

I admittedly did toy with the idea of docking a point for famous for being famous... it was sort of a borderline case... I ended up deciding that she had fame by my technical definition... perhaps not in the spirit though. I also thought, would I dock Terry Fox for being famous for being famous? Not a chance.

I think people famous for being famous shouldn't even get the recognition. I have to admit Paul after getting your Dead Pool together in like forty four hours, you are truly a team player. I admire your efforts on this. I ask myself the question 'How long did it take the 'DDP' organizers to get all the names up? Over a month? I get how they have more then triple the names you do, but overall it just shows you are very motivated to your cause.

I'm just not crazy about having to put a Canadian on my list, as I couldn't think of anybody besides Norman Jewison who I just thought his name was pretty funny. I mean 'Jewison' isn't Jewish? That's like saying Soprano isn't Italian.

I think people famous for being famous shouldn't even get the recognition. I have to admit Paul after getting your Dead Pool together in like forty four hours, you are truly a team player. I admire your efforts on this. I ask myself the question 'How long did it take the 'DDP' organizers to get all the names up? Over a month? I get how they have more then triple the names you do, but overall it just shows you are very motivated to your cause.

With all due respects to Canadian Paul:

1) The DDP is on a much larger scale than the CPDP. The DDP entered about 500 teams this year - CP didn't get 50.

2) If Canadian Paul's timetable is anything like mine, he is still on holiday (only just). It would, therefore benefit him to get this out of the way before his studies start. The DDP organisers have jobs.

3) What exactly is it you are after, Banshees?

With all due respects to Canadian Paul:

1) The DDP is on a much larger scale than the CPDP. The DDP entered about 500 teams this year - CP didn't get 50.

2) If Canadian Paul's timetable is anything like mine, he is still on holiday (only just). It would, therefore benefit him to get this out of the way before his studies start. The DDP organisers have jobs.

3) What exactly is it you are after, Banshees?

Thank you Windsor, both 1) and 2) are correct (though school and especially the time-sucking nexus that is Arabic has begun for me now <_<). Also important: the CPDP isn't technically "together" yet, since only 2 of the 300 odd candidates (Tomlinson and Yankovic) are online and the moment, and likely it will be a long time before they are (see #2). The DDP got the profiles of over 1,000 candidates up in about a month's time - I'll be lucky if I get my 300 up in that time. Also, the Canadian rule is something to make my pool a little different (aside from the theme team thing) and perhaps a little more challenging. It'd be a bit of a waste if it weren't there.

I've obviously missed something of major importance but.....what's wrong with Weird Al that makes him so likely to die in the next 12 months?

I've obviously missed something of major importance but.....what's wrong with Weird Al that makes him so likely to die in the next 12 months?

He doesn't have any medical condition, however he lost both parents through carbon monoxide poisoning last year which would make anyone depressed.

He doesn't have any medical condition, however he lost both parents through carbon monoxide poisoning last year which would make anyone depressed.

Three years ago actually, and he says his music cheers him up.

I picked him partially because I wanted someone completely random (worked for Max Roach and Kiichi Miyazawa, though granted the former was known to be in ill health) and partially because I saw him in concert over the summer and he just doesn't seem like Weird Al anymore. Great show, don't get me wrong, but it felt like someone doing a really great impression of Weird Al - not Weird Al himself.

Dodgy CP, very dodgy. For starters the man obviously has an ego the size of the Graf Zeppellin or he wouldn't do what he does. Secondly depression in a bloke pushing fifty is debilitating but not necessarily fatal. Patrick Duffy survived the brutal murder of his parents. I mean, he wasn't there, obviously, but he was told about it years ago, and he can still summon a smile when they interview him on telly every once in a while. I'll be amongst the first to congratulate you on WAY points, and I admire the bravery of the pick, but it's a long-shot.

Dodgy CP, very dodgy. For starters the man obviously has an ego the size of the Graf Zeppellin or he wouldn't do what he does. Secondly depression in a bloke pushing fifty is debilitating but not necessarily fatal. Patrick Duffy survived the brutal murder of his parents. I mean, he wasn't there, obviously, but he was told about it years ago, and he can still summon a smile when they interview him on telly every once in a while. I'll be amongst the first to congratulate you on WAY points, and I admire the bravery of the pick, but it's a long-shot.

Err... that wasn't my reasoning at all. See the above post.

Dodgy CP, very dodgy.

Well, at least CP should be given credit for thinking out of the box and trying to choose interesting candidates, again, remembering, of course, partly why the CPDP was set up - both are something you seem to have failed to do again, with another bunch of 100 somethings.

Not a criticism per se, more an (barbed) observation.

I suspect Koenraad Elst may not die, but if he does, then I'll get 10 times more satisfaction than if the oldest man in the world goes. Where's the skill in choosing people like that?

Indeed, full credit, for a brave pick, especially in the face of those of us pouring over news reports up to the deadline. I mean, it would be tempting, for example, to pick 11 footballers in a team likely to fly a lot. Random, but unbeatable if the plane crashed without survivors.

I did read your reasoning CP, the best performers have bad nights and sometimes bad tours. Something I was alluding to with the 'debilitating' comment. If lifeless and disappointing gigs were fatal many a rock dinosaur would already be a fossil. I mean, someone was pointing out to me the other day that the band America have done - like - 5 official live albums featuring most of the same tracks and they play them damn near note perfect from the studio versions and spend most of their gigs standing still. Oddly, this effortless career leaves them looking much healthier than most of their contemporaries.

Three years ago actually, and he says his music cheers him up.

I picked him partially because I wanted someone completely random (worked for Max Roach and Kiichi Miyazawa, though granted the former was known to be in ill health) and partially because I saw him in concert over the summer and he just doesn't seem like Weird Al anymore. Great show, don't get me wrong, but it felt like someone doing a really great impression of Weird Al - not Weird Al himself.

Perhaps he just doesn't seem quite so weird when you've seen his act more than once? Or would the old Weird Al have continued to delight his long-standing admirers with ever-increasing displays of weirdness?

When I saw a top Canadian hockey player over 80 had died, I thought "Ah, well done, Canadian Paul", a early hit for you. Alas Max McNab was not on your list.

PS I'm trying to send you a PM, CP, but your PM box is full. No rush, mind, so if they're full of CPDP stuff, I'll hang on for a bit.

PS I'm trying to send you a PM, CP, but your PM box is full. No rush, mind, so if they're full of CPDP stuff, I'll hang on for a bit.

A spot has been freed up, for the first time in ages too... must get to cleaning that out...

And since I've posted wayyyy too much today, I'll note in this post that I've opted to put awards on individual team pages instead of having a Hall of Champions - part of the KISS principle. Anyhow, if anyone can think of ideas for awards, send me an email (don't post it here) and I'll consider it. I can colour the Order of Canada ribbon plenty of different colours with my copy of Paint and Photoshop... I had one idea, but I figured that it would be redundant... so I'm open to new ideas.