Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

the well known child actor from the 1940s Gary Gray has died. Your bound to recognise his face.He was in tonnes of those old black and white films. He starred in the original 'Lassie the dog' film

Bottom line though is I have no recollection of this Gary Gray person. Sad to see him go though and so young too

don't recognise him at all, he's been in quite a few movies throughout his career though.

Don't argue with Iain you know hes occasionally almost right

Iain, check your sources, please. Gary Gray, the actor, it appears, is STILL ALIVE. Just another Wiki hoax, it seems as there is no report of his death anywhere- your link just goes straight to his imdb page. There was a recent news report about a tramp, called Gary Gray, who was found dead, and one presumes, they linked them together for a laugh.

(or that's what it seems like so far - unless someone can produce a reliable source. Sorry to make the writing so big, but I have to ram home the point about a reliable source & wiki fakes & people who are NOT dead!

I think the use of Wikipedia as a source for listing celebrity deaths should be banned.

Unless it's reported / confirmed on an actual news site or an official fan website we should just strike any reference to wikipedia from the list

Guest iain

normally if a fake report of a death is posted on wikipedia its removed within minutes so if its still there after a couple of days it means its true

Aye, there was one fake one - a "trance vocalist", but when you googled, it showed no hits at all. Anyway, other sites have now reported Gray's death. But that "Citation Needed" on Wiki is worth looking out for before anyone plunges ahead.

Anyway, Gerard Reve, the famous Dutch author, is dead.

Link

normally if a fake report of a death is posted on wikipedia its removed within minutes so if its still there after a couple of days it means its true

Iain,

Wikipedia is still an unreliable source though. I would advise that if you do see a death reported/listed on wikipedia and wish to add it to the near misses or not really famous threads, then use one from an online newspaper or an established news site eg Reuters, BBC, CNN etc.

It's where you rely too heavily on deaths reported on Wikipedia that leave you open to be flamed.

Phantom

Guest iain

Iain,

Wikipedia is still an unreliable source though. I would advise that if you do see a death reported/listed on wikipedia and wish to add it to the near misses or not really famous threads, then use one from an online newspaper or an established news site eg Reuters, BBC, CNN etc.

It's where you rely too heavily on deaths reported on Wikipedia that leave you open to be flamed.

Phantom

I usually check to see if its reported elsewhere but 99% of the time Wikipedia is quite reliable.Honest!

Guest iain

Ive decided that from now on I will post news of most deaths in the 'not exactly famous ' thread unless they really are well known in the UK or USA

Ive decided that from now on I will post news of most deaths in the 'not exactly famous ' thread unless they really are well known in the UK or USA

yay!

ditto, yay! That's what that thread was there for

Guest iain

Ive decided that the Indian actor Rajkumar is well known enough for his death at 75 to be reporteed here.He is apparantely very famous in India

Ive decided that the Indian actor Rajkumar is well known enough for his death at 75 to be reporteed here.He is apparantely very famous in India

He's already been mentioned in the Not exactly famous thread

Maybe so, but I'm sure no-one here is from India. So, in the not exactly famous thread it should have gone!

June Pointer of the Pointer sisters

http://deathbeeper.com/4864622.html

mY HEART DOTH CRY AT SUCH SADNESS.

tHOUGH THE brain doth say Who?

You must have heard of "I'm so Excited". It was used

to advertise crunchie bars

Maybe so, but I'm sure no-one here is from India. So, in the not exactly famous thread it should have gone!

I'd like to formally disagree. While admittedly this is a British site and Near Misses should be famous in Britain, I have to vie for a a little bit of an escape from ethnocentricity. Rajkumar was an Indian legend, an idol, a movie star that people could actually look up to as a good example of how to live. In India, he was probably more respected and revered than most political leaders of his time. Rajkumar is to India as Marlon Brando is to the United States, except Rajkumar never got creepy and fat. Rajkumar served not only as a legend of screen and song, but as a prime example of how fame and fortune shouldn't corrupt a man and his beliefs. So I think if you put Marlon Brando on Deathlist, certainly you could find space in Near Misses for Rajkumar.

Why weren't we notified of her condition?

regards,

Hein

regards,

Hein

Because no-one pointed it out :shoot::(

You set 'em up MH, I'll knock 'em in.

regards,

Hein

I would have pointed it out, but unfortunately I can't type fast enough due to my slow hand ;)

regards,

Hein

I would have pointed it out, but unfortunately I can't type fast enough due to my slow hand ;)

You should have Jumped to it

I'd like to formally disagree. While admittedly this is a British site and Near Misses should be famous in Britain, I have to vie for a a little bit of an escape from ethnocentricity. Rajkumar was an Indian legend, an idol, a movie star that people could actually look up to as a good example of how to live. In India, he was probably more respected and revered than most political leaders of his time. Rajkumar is to India as Marlon Brando is to the United States, except Rajkumar never got creepy and fat. Rajkumar served not only as a legend of screen and song, but as a prime example of how fame and fortune shouldn't corrupt a man and his beliefs. So I think if you put Marlon Brando on Deathlist, certainly you could find space in Near Misses for Rajkumar.

Actually HCW is right. This thread is called "Near Misses", so it should be for people we thought about putting on the 2006 list, or people we should have thought of, but didn't. CP is likely in the enlightened minority of DL'ers to have ever heard of Rajkumar, but I certainly don't recall any mention of him as a possible any time prior to his dying. As for that Coffin guy, he too belongs in the "Not exactly Famous But Worth a Mention" thread, in this case just becase he's got a fun, death-related name.

Actually HCW is right. This thread is called "Near Misses", so it should be for people we thought about putting on the 2006 list, or people we should have thought of, but didn't. CP is likely in the enlightened minority of DL'ers to have ever heard of Rajkumar, but I certainly don't recall any mention of him as a possible any time prior to his dying. As for that Coffin guy, he too belongs in the "Not exactly Famous But Worth a Mention" thread, in this case just becase he's got a fun, death-related name.

Hmmm... I was under a different impression, but you are the mod so I guess you know best. But what about people who are clearly famous enough (like say, Tom Hanks) but who no one thinks is a good candidate, so no one brings them up before they say, die in a freak accident? They'd be famous enough, but not a near miss...

I'm so confused. We either need one thread for this stuff or more threads... I can't figure out which. :unsure:

Hmmm... I was under a different impression, but you are the mod so I guess you know best. But what about people who are clearly famous enough (like say, Tom Hanks) but who no one thinks is a good candidate, so no one brings them up before they say, die in a freak accident? They'd be famous enough, but not a near miss...

I'm so confused. We either need one thread for this stuff or more threads... I can't figure out which. :unsure:

I usually just guess :blink: