Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

the new pet sematary is watchable

7 hours ago, runebomme said:

the new pet sematary is watchable

I watched it last week. It's barely watchable. 

• Like 1

I saw "Nothing like a Dame" a few days ago. A documentary film (which was released in the German cinemas in April) full of DL-material! :biggrin:

It's about the four British A-level theatre and movie actresses Dame Joan Plowright (*28.10.1929), Dame Eileen Atkins (*16.06.1934), Dame Judi Dench (*09.12.1934) and Dame Maggie Smith (*28.12.1934).

Everyone seemed to be sharp and fit, except for a few small ailments. If I should rank them, in which order they die, I'd say...

1. Joan

2. Maggie

3. Judi

4. Eileen

• Like 1

Saw Rocket Man (Elton John biog) today.

Self-indulgent film about self-confessed drama queen, redeemed by the quality of his (1970s) musical output. His mother, father and long time manager/boyfriend all come out of it badly, presumably all are dead now so they can't sue.. Executive co-producer (and husband) David Furnish stopped the film in the early-mid 90s, just before his own entry onto the scene. This also conveniently saved him having to court controversy by including  anything about Princess Diana.

David Furnish probably is not any good why else would he be married to a 15 or so years senior

Was dragged to The Hustle (a Rebel Wilson remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, itself a remake) by some girls I went to school with. No idea why they were so desperate for me to see it. I was expecting it to be rank, and sure enough, it was rank.

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Saw Rocket Man (Elton John biog) today.

Self-indulgent film about self-confessed drama queen, redeemed by the quality of his (1970s) musical output. His mother, father and long time manager/boyfriend all come out of it badly, presumably all are dead now so they can't sue.. Executive co-producer (and husband) David Furnish stopped the film in the early-mid 90s, just before his own entry onto the scene. This also conveniently saved him having to court controversy by including  anything about Princess Diana.

No great fan of his output though I've long thought Bernie Taupin to have one of the best jobs on earth - all that creative work, money and you can walk into the supermarket without being bothered. Gonna see Rocket Man later this week.

• Like 1

A masterpiece. Children are introduced to adult life; drinking, smoking, selfishness and Chinese water torture

Spider-Man: Far From Home is yet another solid MCU film. One of those films where the twists keep coming right until the end. It doesn't allow you a chance to breathe.

Tom Holland is quite hot...

Saw Yesterday er...yesterday. Watchable but would not go so far as to say it was good. Premise is a world with no Beatles but someone becomes a star by claiming to have written all their songs which he introduces as his own and becomes a star. Typical Richard Curtis feel to it but not as good as Four Weddings. Lily James as the protagonist's manager and would-be love interest lights up the screen every time she is on it. For some reason a couple of other people who remember the beatles remain on the planet although their only contribution to the plot is to point the 'hero' in the direction of an apparently still-living John Lennon. Grandma and Sanjay from the Kumars provide some light relief as the hero's parents while Kate McKinnon as an obnoxious music mogul is also seemingly supposed to be amusing (but isn't). Ed Sheeran is also in it, proving he is no actor but brownie point for at least being willing to send himself up a bit. 2 (out of 5) star film, maybe raised to 3 by the luminescent Ms James.

1 hour ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Saw Yesterday er...yesterday. Watchable but would not go so far as to say it was good. Premise is a world with no Beatles but someone becomes a star by claiming to have written all their songs which he introduces as his own and becomes a star. Typical Richard Curtis feel to it but not as good as Four Weddings. Lily James as the protagonist's manager and would-be love interest lights up the screen every time she is on it. For some reason a couple of other people who remember the beatles remain on the planet although their only contribution to the plot is to point the 'hero' in the direction of an apparently still-living John Lennon. Grandma and Sanjay from the Kumars provide some light relief as the hero's parents while Kate McKinnon as an obnoxious music mogul is also seemingly supposed to be amusing (but isn't). Ed Sheeran is also in it, proving he is no actor but brownie point for at least being willing to send himself up a bit. 2 (out of 5) star film, maybe raised to 3 by the luminescent Ms James.

Didn't something similar happen in Goodnight Sweetheart ?  Somebody time-travelling back to the 1940s, or summat.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Didn't something similar happen in Goodnight Sweetheart ?  Somebody time-travelling back to the 1940s, or summat.

Sort of. this is more like sliding doors, where you have a parallel universe depending on what happened at the start. 'No Beatles' also meant 'no oasis' (hilarious joke, apparently) and for some reason no Coke (the drink) or Harry Potter either. Sadly they didn't go into whether or not the Rutles survived in this particular version of history...

One cut of the dead is a great and unique movie.  Such an eventive and at times laugh out loud funny movie. 

Downton Abbey prompted my gran to go to the pictures for the first time since the 50s.

I'm off to see the new Rambo, just as soon as I can find someone who'll come with me and be prepared to bet on the Mexican drug dealers to come out as winners in the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm off to see the new Rambo, just as soon as I can find someone who'll come with me and be prepared to bet on the Mexican drug dealers to come out as winners in the end.

We'll see Rambo's murder on best gore. That's usually what happens to those fighting/ mixed up in the Mexican drug cartels. 

Hope they don't do some stupid shit though like him being killed by the  new 'next generation' Rambo. 

6 hours ago, the_engineer said:

We'll see Rambo's murder on best gore. That's usually what happens to those fighting/ mixed up in the Mexican drug cartels. 

Hope they don't do some stupid shit though like him being killed by the  new 'next generation' Rambo. 

This is Sylvestor Stallone we're talking about - when he does die I reckon we'll have a poster on here claiming to be him and saying it didn't happen

8 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

This is Sylvestor Stallone we're talking about - when he does die I reckon we'll have a poster on here claiming to be him and saying it didn't happen

If he does die. Think about Ivan Drago. Then read the Revelation and connect the dots

1 minute ago, bladan said:

If he does die. Think about Ivan Drago. Then read the Revelation and connect the dots

Stallone's career makes it bloody obvious he loves John Wayne movies. Wayne didn't die on screeen until his very last movies when he - himself - was already known to be battling serious illness. His first screen death saw him shot by a nervous cowboy (Bruce Dern) in The Cowboys and it came ten years after the first time his character died in a movie (The Man who Shot Liberty Valence) - though in that case the story is told retrospectively and we know from early on that Wayne's character is dead, but we don't see him die.

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Stallone's career makes it bloody obvious he loves John Wayne movies. Wayne didn't die on screeen until his very last movies when he - himself - was already known to be battling serious illness. His first screen death saw him shot by a nervous cowboy (Bruce Dern) in The Cowboys and it came ten years after the first time his character died in a movie (The Man who Shot Liberty Valence) - though in that case the story is told retrospectively and we know from early on that Wayne's character is dead, but we don't see him die.

The Man who Shot Liberty Valence - isn't that the film in which Stewart plays a young lawyer – in his fifties

5 minutes ago, bladan said:

The Man who Shot Liberty Valence - isn't that the film in which Stewart plays a young lawyer – in his fifties

The very same - hell, there's days this forum rivals a university dept.

Just got back from seeing Joker.

Fucking hell!

That is just my opinion though.

Go see it.