Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Just seen the King's Speech - brilliant film, must be an Oscar contender. I predict it will get the BAFTA for best film but that it will be beaten to best film in the Oscars by The Social Network because the Americans stick to their own when they have a half decent film which that is. But Colin Firth will win the Oscar for best actor. Geoffrey Rush deserves best supporting actor too and might get the BAFTA but the Oscar there is more likely to go to Christian Bale in the Fighter although haven't seen that yet. I hope Bale doesn't get it after exposing himself as a shit in that outburst that's still out there on the internet. There's a link to it somewhere on the DL but it's easy enough to find if anyone is yet to be convinced that Bale is a grade a twat.

Helena Bonham Carter is also good in the KS. She has to get an Oscar sooner or later.

Agreed! Excellent movie. Saw it last week while I was on holiday. Highly recommended. Even found myself trying to finish his sentences.

Aye, had a family outing to a preview of The King's Speech. Superb movie, never really had that much interest in Colin Firth's career until recent years but that performance in KS is genuinely brilliant, well worth the Oscar if he gets it.

Well, as usual, you've all seen an intelligent clever-clogs film and I've seen Gulliver's Travels, in 3D no less. I love Jack Black, and this was OK but certainly not up to the standard of The Pick Of Destiny. Lots of English people in it, and the lead woman looks like Smiley Smiley Carole Smiley. It was good enough to pass the time, and it was a good excuse to have a KFC beforehand.

I watched Toy Story 3 on DVD with my sister last night. Wasnt long before I noticed that the movie is heavy on biblical symbolism. I dont want to spoil it... but at the end, the symbolism gets more interesting... regarding the characters that rescue the toys. To anyone thats seen the movie, do you think they are implying to us that we will be saved from the spirit of Satan by these kind of beings?? The same thing happened in that Nicolas Cage movie last year, didnt it? But I didnt see that because I thought it looked stupid.

Finally manned up and got myself a Lovefilm account and barred myself from filling it up with, y'know, Another 48 Hours and Remy and Michelle's High School Reunion, so I may be making lots of unwelcome contributions to this thread with films nobody would ever want to see.

The 2005 documentary "Street Fight", about mayoral elections in a New Jersey town, is absolutely engrossing, kind of like a mini-figurine version of The War Room. It starts off as the usual "plucky young underdog tries to unseat established politico" deal, but then takes a massive swerve into some sort of quasi-legal underworld of black-on-black racism and vague allusions to organised crime. Spike Lee turns up for a three second cameo making it the first film he's had anything to do with in 20 years that hasn't made me want to smash my DVD player in.

Just seen the King's Speech - brilliant film, must be an Oscar contender. I predict it will get the BAFTA for best film but that it will be beaten to best film in the Oscars by The Social Network because the Americans stick to their own when they have a half decent film which that is. But Colin Firth will win the Oscar for best actor. Geoffrey Rush deserves best supporting actor too and might get the BAFTA but the Oscar there is more likely to go to Christian Bale in the Fighter although haven't seen that yet. I hope Bale doesn't get it after exposing himself as a shit in that outburst that's still out there on the internet. There's a link to it somewhere on the DL but it's easy enough to find if anyone is yet to be convinced that Bale is a grade a twat.

Helena Bonham Carter is also good in the KS. She has to get an Oscar sooner or later.

Agreed! Excellent movie. Saw it last week while I was on holiday. Highly recommended. Even found myself trying to finish his sentences.

Agreement from here too. I saw it tonight and thought it was fantastic. One of my brothers has a stutter (I wish his speech therapist had been like Lionel Logue) and for me, Colin Firth's portrayal was spot on, he managed to portray the frustration, angst and anger of a stammerer perfectly. HCW I learned as a child not to finish my brother's sentences for him, it is natural to want to do so, but his speech therapist insisted we didn't and it is now second nature for me just to wait until he gets the words out. I hope the Oscar ceremony sees Firth and Rush receiving well deserved Academy Awards.

This kind of film is far from my preferred style, but I've got to admit, I thoroughly enjoyed Jeff Daniels and Emma Stone in Paper Man.

Just remembered after watching film 11 that I saw the movie 'Buried' on my flight when I went on holiday recently. A bit slow to start, but a cruel twist at the end.

Looking at the Baftas, The King's Speech might well have done enough to get Oscar for best film.

Looking at the Baftas, The King's Speech might well have done enough to get Oscar for best film.

Aye, but some heavy lobbying goes on ahead of the Oscars - a point Ricky Gervais joked about at the Golden Globes - so a British movie that cost around £10 million might just fall at the final fence, or summat.

Not sure what to make of True Grit. Great panoramas as in most Coen Bros films but it was a bit bitty and while I'm sure the dialogue was brilliant I couldn't make out everything Jeff Bridges was saying. Better than staying in though. I'd recommend it but only to go and make your own mind up. The snakes were a nice touch. Still think the original was better and the way the Coens dismissed John Wayne and the first film wasn't worthy of them. Definitely shades of the Dude in Bridges performance but without the humour. There are flashes of humour, including squeezing a laugh out of the triple hanging. Subtitles would have helped.

Guest Guest

Just watched Wall Street 2 with a very healthy spry looking 95 year old Eli Wallach!

Saw Gnomeo and Juliet today. In keeping with tradition, I'll keep it short - it was all right. Same old shit really. Kept the kids happy. But I am pissed off with having to watch films in 3D. It's boring now. And every time we go and see a film I forget that I now have approximately 18 pairs of 3D glasses in the drawer, and end up having to pay another 4 quid for 4 pairs. And I got stiffed on the popcorn and drinks bill. Bastards.

Looking forward to the

Not exactly a new film, nor intellectually challenging by any stretch of the imagination, but I got around to watching "Kick-Ass" tonight, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Not too much going on with the usual Hollywood plot, crescendos and denouement that most wouldn't spot, but still an entertaining romp, nonetheless. Nick Cage was his usual twattish self but didn't spoil the flick too much.

Sigh the era of cheap mind trash Hong Kong raunchy comdies are over, all there exists is artsy fartsy dramas, and or movies about "the war", Borring shit about the Civil Communist victory war. It's how Korea can't produce anything that isn't related to the War.

Not even a super natural ghost movie that made Hong Kong cinema so cheap thrills and laughs. gah. Just boring "Singing swordsman movies". :_( Damn maninlanders damn them and their culturally dead cinema. Yes, yes, you reds won the war. Get over yourselves.

And only one or two western movies. That's it I'm going back home where I can stuff my face full of poutine burgers and watch something fun.

Oh well at least Scream 4 is coming out as is the Potter movies. But if I see anymore idiot Koumingtang lose to the reds I'm going to freak out. That's all I saw in China..... That's the only thing that's on!

Just seen Super 8, real 70s nostalgia feel, pretty predictable plot but the the film has a great look to it. Only second night of release round our way and cinema was almost empty.

Josco Junior insisted that I watch The Layer Cake (Guy Ritchie film) one evening last week. Reluctantly agreed...... What a fabulous, complex and riveting movie. Thoroughly recommended.

Josco Junior insisted that I watch The Layer Cake (Guy Ritchie film) one evening last week. Reluctantly agreed...... What a fabulous, complex and riveting movie. Thoroughly recommended.

It was written and directed by Matthew Vaughan...

It was written and directed by Matthew Vaughan...

You are correct, mea culpa. In my defence Josco Junior did say it was Guy Ritchie, I never saw the DVD case and it is 'Ritchiesque'

Just seen Tinker Tailor etc. Brilliant. Took me back to a time I can remember - antidote to the all action epic.

If any of you don't mind subtitles i would recommend 2 amazing movies . The lives of others german movie set in east germany about the stazi and a korean movie called oldboy great action , great story and one of the best twists i have ever seen in a film.

If any of you don't mind subtitles i would recommend 2 amazing movies . The lives of others german movie set in east germany about the stazi and a korean movie called oldboy great action , great story and one of the best twists i have ever seen in a film.

Yes, both great films. Quite old though...

Yes, both great films. Quite old though...

A movie that came out last year called Confessions a japanese movie. Kokuhaku is its japanese name best movie i have seen in a long while , great soundtrack aswell.

Mrs MPFC and myself rented 127 Hours last weekend, imagine our disappointment when - despite the lavish promise of the front cover - the whole thing ended after barely 90 minutes. It had some gripping moments but was only half as gripping by the end.