Hans Dietrick Genscher, born 1927

Robert Rauschenberg 1925

Joseph Juran, now over 100 yrs old

Ronald Coase 1910

Mickey Spillane 1918

Arne Sucksdorff 1917, Swedish documentary film maker

Former King Michael of Romania 1921

Lena Horne 1917

I met Genscher at a charity do earlier this year.

He's fine. I wouldn't go putting him on any lists just yet.

Coase and Juran were on my provisional DDP list (not on HDP though) as possible unique pics. I'd forgotten I'd posted that.

Today is Hans-Dietrich Genscher's 80th birthday.

He's all over the news as they're holding a mega-beanfeast for him in a circus tent in Berlin this evening.

He looks good for another 5 years at least, in spite of having been seriously ill with TB when he was younger. It also seems he resigned as German Foreign Minister back then on his Doctor's advice. More a positive sign than a negative one from a sensibleness point of view.

Among the 1500 guests is Mr. Shevardnatsie, but I didn't get a look at him on the telly.

Perhaps more interesting from our point of view is the fact that Mikhail Gorbachev is unable to attend due to ill health. Could be a mild case of the sniffles, but it could also be pleurisy or ebola.

Just a quick update on one of my old favourites, Senior General Than Shwe of Myanmar. There is a suggestion that he may need a heart operation, never something for a 74 year-old to look forward to. A previous report highlighted the poor health of his deputy Vice Snr-Gen Maung Aye, who as well as rumours about cancer, is an alcoholic.

Now, two other senior Myanmar leaders have been making trips abroad for health reasons; Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Thein Sein has already been fitted with a pacemaker, and Prime Minister Gen Soe Win has also been seeking medical help in Singapore.

As well as these, the Party Chairman Aung Shwe and Secretary U Lwin are both in their late 80s. "Any one senior Myanmar politician" would be a good each-way bet at the moment.

Prime Minister Soe Win, is reported to have leukeamia and is been treated in Singapore. "He is ill, but not critically ill, not at the moment," said an official - which does seem to imply he might soon be critically ill if he isn't already.

So, just to summarise, Myanmar's ruler has heart disease and possibly cancer, his deputy might have cancer and a drink problem and the Prime Minister has leukeamia. Mods, how about a Myanmar thread? We could call it The Burmese Diseased. :(

Just a quick update on one of my old favourites, Senior General Than Shwe of Myanmar. There is a suggestion that he may need a heart operation, never something for a 74 year-old to look forward to. A previous report highlighted the poor health of his deputy Vice Snr-Gen Maung Aye, who as well as rumours about cancer, is an alcoholic.

Now, two other senior Myanmar leaders have been making trips abroad for health reasons; Secretary-1 Lt-Gen Thein Sein has already been fitted with a pacemaker, and Prime Minister Gen Soe Win has also been seeking medical help in Singapore.

As well as these, the Party Chairman Aung Shwe and Secretary U Lwin are both in their late 80s. "Any one senior Myanmar politician" would be a good each-way bet at the moment.

Prime Minister Soe Win, is reported to have leukeamia and is been treated in Singapore. "He is ill, but not critically ill, not at the moment," said an official - which does seem to imply he might soon be critically ill if he isn't already.

So, just to summarise, Myanmar's ruler has heart disease and possibly cancer, his deputy might have cancer and a drink problem and the Prime Minister has leukeamia. Mods, how about a Myanmar thread? We could call it The Burmese Diseased. :(

Hopefully this may give the rebels a chance to overthrow that hateful regime...

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards has suspended his campaign while he helps take care of his wife, who has had a relapse in her battle against breast cancer.

Mrs. Ted's Not Dead Yet

Hillary Clinton is expected to condemn the tactic as part of a vast right wing conspiracy to win Edwards the sympathy vote

Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards has suspended his campaign while he helps take care of his wife, who has had a relapse in her battle against breast cancer.

Mrs. Ted's Not Dead Yet

Hillary Clinton is expected to condemn the tactic as part of a vast right wing conspiracy to win Edwards the sympathy vote

Not a fan of Hilary then... :(

Having just read the revue of his latest book, Anthony Loyd would appear a good possibility. A love for heroin and war zones does not suggest someone who is here for the long haul. An interesting man none the less, (the wikipedia link only gives a brief outline of his 'career').

Mrs. Ted's Not Dead Yet

Not a fan of Hilary then... :(

Hilary has gained a small amount of popularity, although I think Obama will stand a better chance of being elected than Edwards or Clinton.

Interesting article on Frankie Howerd's 'widow' Dennis Heymer.

Read into that what you will over his prospects...

Hilary has gained a small amount of popularity, although I think Obama will stand a better chance of being elected than Edwards or Clinton.

A Black President.

A female president with a husband named Bill.

Johnny Running with a sick wife (I wish them the best)

Rudy cleaned up New York City

On this I've got a steady state of mind.

This chap, Yuri Felshtinsky, might well be on someone's hit list. Not sure what his obit status would be but if they get him, it ought to make the news at least.

Yet another cancer ridden Yugolsav leader! Ivica Racan the former Croatian Prime Minister and present leader of the opposition has been diagnosed with an "atypical tumour" in his shoulder.

More news on Racan - the tumour in his shoulder is secondary and looks to have spread from his kidneys. He is not a well man - number 1 on my list when the next dead pool comes along

Apparently, treatment is going well.

Racan's Tumour Metastasised to his Head. Apart from that, the treatment is going brilliantly.

Ian Porterfield, who scored the winning goal for Sunderland against Leeds in the 1973 FA Cup final, is battling colon cancer. When in charge of Chelsea in 1992, he became the first manager to be sacked in the Premiership era. He is now the manager of the Armenian national team.

He's just left hospital.

It appears he's got treatment in time & it's going well, but that's been said about others. Still, like I said before, I hope in this case all IS fine.

Ian Porterfield, who scored the winning goal for Sunderland against Leeds in the 1973 FA Cup final, is battling colon cancer. When in charge of Chelsea in 1992, he became the first manager to be sacked in the Premiership era. He is now the manager of the Armenian national team.

He's just left hospital.

It appears he's got treatment in time & it's going well, but that's been said about others. Still, like I said before, I hope in this case all IS fine.

Not if you were a Leeds fan I suspect.... :crossbone:

Not if you were a Leeds fan I suspect.... ;)

My intense dislike of Leeds United is well known on here, which gives me even more reason for me to wish Porterfield the best. ;)

Not if you were a Leeds fan I suspect.... ;)

My intense dislike of Leeds United is well known on here, which gives me even more reason for me to wish Porterfield the best. ;)

You could be dancing for joy when they go down then OoD. I can't stand them and I'm from Leeds!!! ;)

You could be dancing for joy when they go down then OoO. I can't stand them and I'm from Leeds!!! ;)

If Leeds, Luton AND QPR go down, there is a God after all. ;)

Failing that, I'd just settle for Leeds. I will, indeed, be dancing for joy. An Irish jig, followed by a good old boogie, I think.

I won't be the only one - the entire 24,000 crowd cheered at half time the other week when Leeds were (at that point) losing to Southend. It's hard to find a more disliked team in the football league and that was BEFORE Ken Bates & Dennis Wise turned up.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I see the Burmese have unveiled their new capital with a brief glimpse of Than Shawe whilst they were at it.

You could be dancing for joy when they go down then OoO. I can't stand them and I'm from Leeds!!! ;)

If Leeds, Luton AND QPR go down, there is a God after all. ;)

Failing that, I'd just settle for Leeds. I will, indeed, be dancing for joy. An Irish jig, followed by a good old boogie, I think.

I won't be the only one - the entire 24,000 crowd cheered at half time the other week when Leeds were (at that point) losing to Southend. It's hard to find a more disliked team in the football league and that was BEFORE Ken Bates & Dennis Wise turned up.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I see the Burmese have unveiled their new capital with a brief glimpse of Than Shawe whilst they were at it.

What have Reading got against Leeds United? Mind you, I have a pretty good idea...

Tony Snow, President Bush's official spokesman has cancer of the liver. He suffered from colon cancer in 2005.

Tony Snow, President Bush's official spokesman has cancer of the liver. He suffered from colon cancer in 2005.

It sounds pretty serious. Thanks for the tip.

ff

What have Reading got against Leeds United? Mind you, I have a pretty good idea...

It stems back to when they played us in the League Cup in 1996 & 1998. In 1996, the official programme notes were not the norm, extremely disparaging towards us, and in 1998, when we beat them, the vitriol the Leeds fans gave us that night & in the days following for having the cheek to beat the mighty Leeds at Elland Road(!!), stuck long in the memory.

Then there was last season, when we "robbed" Leeds of their so-called "rightful place" in the Premiership. That's right.. robbed, even though we got 28 points & finished 4 places above them.

Of all our fellow Championship clubs, on balance, their fans were the least supportive & the most snide about us going up as Champions.

There's more but I really don't want to go into this in detail any more as this is not the right place & my opinion won't be swayed here as it hasn't been swayed in over 10 years. All I can say is good luck Southend, Barnsley, Hull & Burnley.

It stems back to when they played us in the League Cup in 1996 & 1998. In 1996, the official programme notes were not the norm, extremely disparaging towards us, and in 1998, when we beat them, the vitriol the Leeds fans gave us that night & in the days following for having the cheek to beat the mighty Leeds at Elland Road(!!), stuck long in the memory.

Then there was last season, when we "robbed" Leeds of their so-called "rightful place" in the Premiership. That's right.. robbed, even though we got 28 points & finished 4 places above them.

Of all our fellow Championship clubs, on balance, their fans were the least supportive & the most snide about us going up as Champions.

There's more but I really don't want to go into this in detail any more as this is not the right place & my opinion won't be swayed here as it hasn't been swayed in over 10 years. All I can say is good luck Southend, Barnsley, Hull & Burnley.

Indeed. How have the mighty fallen...perhaps a spell in the third tier will teach them to be less arrogant. I think Reading have been a refreshing addition to the Premiership, although you really, REALLY should have knocked Man Utd out of the FA Cup!

Indeed. How have the mighty fallen...perhaps a spell in the third tier will teach them to be less arrogant. I think Reading have been a refreshing addition to the Premiership, although you really, REALLY should have knocked Man Utd out of the FA Cup!

It looks bleak for Leeds.....and as I work for a company that is a major sponsor , I will be sad to miss out on the Corporate Hospitality . However...I will laugh if they go down !

Jack Valenti, who served as president of the Motion Picture Association of America for nearly four decades, has suffered a stroke at the age of 85

Donatella Versace's daughter Allegra is apparently dying of anorexia

She'll be a size zero soon

The good news is this means she won't grow up to be as ugly as her mother.