Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/article/0,,2011351,00.html

I see from this article that Hans Martin Schleyer's widow is still alive. Would she get a UK obit? What about the terrorists themselves?

The terrorists will definitely get a UK obit. I was watching Channel 4 news last night with the sound turned down (best way to enjoy it) and saw 1970's-looking film of a bunch of shot-out Mercedes and people with stringy hair. It was like watching The Day of the Jackal. Couldn't figure it out at the time, but they showed the a mug shot of Brigitte Mohnhaupt, so it must have had to do with her parole. Interesting how in one picture she looks like a deranged terrorist, in the other kinda foxy....

I see from this article that Hans Martin Schleyer's widow is still alive. Would she get a UK obit? What about the terrorists themselves?

The terrorists will definitely get a UK obit. I was watching Channel 4 news last night with the sound turned down (best way to enjoy it) and saw 1970's-looking film of a bunch of shot-out Mercedes and people with stringy hair. It was like watching The Day of the Jackal. Couldn't figure it out at the time, but they showed the a mug shot of Brigitte Mohnhaupt, so it must have had to do with her parole. Interesting how in one picture she looks like a deranged terrorist, in the other kinda foxy....

Did they then cut to Davina with her saying "you are live on Channel 4 please do not swear" Hence the reason for turning the sound down?

Of the surviving former RAF/SPK members, Monhaupt, Christian Klar, Astrid Proll (who lives and works in the UK), Irmgard Moeller and Sieglinde Hofmann would all possibly get obits., also Horst Mahler who provided legal advice to the RAF in the 70s, and is now a leading figure in the German neo-Nazi movement. Then again, they are mostly in their late fifties and early sixties, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for the other question, I don't see that Schleyer's widow would get one.

President Yahya Jammeh of Gambia, who revealed a couple of weeks ago that he could cure AIDS, seems to have got himself in to a bit of a pickle. One Gambian blog claims that the President is so unhinged he has probably got bi-polar disorder, while another claims he has just cured 500 asthma sufferers.

Not sure if it is a spoof, but intriguing news just in (albeit in appalling English) suggests that President Jammeh has gone so insane that he has been confined to his villa by guards, only to escape down a ladder and go missing overnight. He was found by an old lady, hiding in a tree.

Andy Fordham, darts player, has had a stroke.

Edit: oops I see there is already a thread for him. Sorry :(

Anita Roddick (founder of The Body Shop) has Hepatitis C

Girija Prasad Koirala, the 85 year old Prime Minister of Nepal, who is already suffering major health problems, has been infected with Hepatitis E, so have six members of his cabinet and twenty five staff at his official residence. I wonder if there is a Maoist employed in the kitchen. :(

Just out of interest, how many types of hepatitis are there? It seems to be the "in" disease at the moment.

Just out of interest, how many types of hepatitis are there? It seems to be the "in" disease at the moment.

Six major viral, alcohol induced, drug induced, three or four toxin induced and some more I'm sure I'm not remembering. I need to go read the NIH page on it again, apparently.

you know what the most dangerous animal in the world is?

the Hepititis Bee.

i'll get my coat.

44 potential deadpoolers in India. Can't see them all being offed on the same day. Pierrepoint the hangman found even his legendary professionalism was tested with the almost industrtrial scale of death when he was seeing out the Nazis.

King Gyanendra of Nepal.

Quite a few revolutionaries doing around. I don't know if he has a son though...

I herby present for consideration, the lovely, simply adorable French Chantese and actress, the tender and gifted songbird Juliette Greco who reached the age of 80 a week and a spot back.

.....................greco1.gif

Born on the 7th day of February in the modern year of 1927, she is three times married, almost married Miles Davis back in 1949 and suffered a heart attack (severe coronary assualt) while on stage in her home town of Montpelier (in France, not the one in Vermont) back in 2001.

It would be a loss (a great one) to lose her, and more memories of Grampapa would be taken as well. Grampapa lived in Paris for many years until he left his Earthly shell, and undoubtedly as a member of the in crowd, had occasion to hear her at times, and then perhaps, perchance report it back to Variety where he worked the Paris and European office. Perhaps they shared a ride on the Metro or had a cup of coffe at The Dome...

Has anyone heard from Abel Green lately? I want my copy of Lord Broadway back.

Mstislav Rostropovich, the renowned cellist and and conductor, is in a satisfactory condition in a Moscow hospital, suffering an undisclosed illness.

I reckon he should pass the required fame credentials - loads of press interest, a long Wiki write up and Vladimir Putin has visited him in hospital.

Rostropovich feeling better with a non-life threatening condition.

Obviously to be taken with a grain of salt, but I've not seen any contradicting reports.

Although there have been posts elsewhere I think those just rifling this thread should start taking serious consideration of David Crosby, drugs have ravaged his frame, his new liver won't last for ever and he's been pushing a fair frontage of pork for most of his adult life. Just had to cancel a tour due to ill-health, and he's 65.

Wonder if he'll be wearing his Afrika Korps outfit whilst on patrol.

Prince Harry to Iraq?

Another one for the "Never in a Million Years is this Going to Happen" file

Prince Harry to Iraq?

Tsk tsk CR. I beat you to this one by days.

Like many of the people suggested in this thread, the offering below could hardly be described as an A list celebrity. However for the more clinical deadpoolers, for whom merely a UK obit will suffice, he might be just the ticket.

Major Berrington Mkoma has spent the last five years in Kabwe maximum security prison in Zambia, which by all accounts would give Black Beach prison in Equatorial Guinea a run for it's money in the 'hellhole' pecking order. He was originally sentenced to death on trumped up charges of plotting against the former President, Frederick Chiluba. 'Mercifully' his punishment was reduced to life with hard labour. Anyway this report suggests that he is now even iller than he was when this report was published in the Daily Telegraph in 2004. He is believed to be suffering from Karposi's Sarcoma, a disease that is associated with HIV sufferers. He must be ill - his family has managed to get permission for him to lie in his hospital bed unshackled.

I think he should get a UK obit, he did his army training in the UK, he heroically saved the life of British wildlife cameramen Nick Gordon while serving in Rwanda with the UN and numerous Daily Telegraph readers wrote to him in prison when Gordon later highlighted his plight. One of Mkoma's letters was published in the Telegraph - I can't see their in house obit writers letting this one slip through the net.

Does any one know what Steve Race, musician and broadcaster, is up to these days? Previously mentioned in 2004, he will be 86 on 1st April this year.

His eventual demise is certain to be mentioned on the beeb, as he had much influence there in his day; for one thing he was (allegedly) single-handedy responsible for the side-lining of once very popular theatre organ music broadcasts. This may seem like a "good thing" to some of you now, but how many of you really know what you're missing?

Has anyone any news of his health?

Bollywood megastar Saif Ali Khan is in the hospital with unknown heart problems.

Famous enough for mention on the BBC and only 36, but apparentely "out of danger." Then again, they said that about Pinochet and Papon... (yes I'm aware that they were in their 90s, but still...)

Bollywood megastar Saif Ali Khan is in the hospital with unknown heart problems.

Famous enough for mention on the BBC and only 36, but apparentely "out of danger." Then again, they said that about Pinochet and Papon... (yes I'm aware that they were in their 90s, but still...)

Good...unknown health concerns for an unknown person....sounds fair.

Writer and ex-barrister Sir John Mortimer is now nearly 84 and evidently not in what you might call peak condition. By his own admission in a short interview with the The Independent on 6 February, "I'm not going to last very long". He's a tough old bugger by anyone's reckoning, but I wouldn't give him more than a year or two.

Prince Harry to Iraq?

Prince Harry to Iraq

or maybe not. Oops. Anyone else think this is madness?