Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

I'd say summat about a certain accident last night but I'm aware of the problems of posting things too literally when nothing's been proved. Put it this way; they hadn't been going too long, the coach was fitted with seat belts, most of the walking wounded are telling the same story about it veering wildly from side to side and someone with his hands on the wheel at the time is helping the police. If he's out of work and/or having a holiday at her madge's pleasure this time next year he might be thinking dark self-harming thoughts. Might also be a passable deadpool pick where the rules reward you for any death that gets news coverage.

Link.

I think the bloke who lives down my road looks a bit worse for wear, how about if I put him on my list then when he dies, I'll phone the newspapers to get an obit typed up?

It's not such barrel scraping Phantom. The DDP - to take one example - rewards you for a pick that gets news coverage, so Wendy Ainscow's second unsuccessful suicide attempt made a few national papers last year, she'll get more space if and when she succeeds. This guy would get such attention as well, which is - sort of - why we're here. Sad cases and those who've made unplanned forays into the national news will stop being scoring picks in deadpools like that when journalists start having a conscience about intruding into the saddest corners of human life. And that isn't gonna happen by the end of 2008.

It's not such barrel scraping Phantom. The DDP - to take one example - rewards you for a pick that gets news coverage, so Wendy Ainscow's second unsuccessful suicide attempt made a few national papers last year, she'll get more space if and when she succeeds. This guy would get such attention as well, which is - sort of - why we're here. Sad cases and those who've made unplanned forays into the national news will stop being scoring picks in deadpools like that when journalists start having a conscience about intruding into the saddest corners of human life. And that isn't gonna happen by the end of 2008.

It is scraping the bottom of the barrel somewhat though. It's almost like watching the latter episodes of "This is your life" and watching tributes to actors, musicians etc who are in their 40s and still have a good 40-50 years left in them. I guess that's why I set a ruling in our local dead pool that you can't have anyone just because they're known for just being old or ill. If they've achieved a level of fame whether it be international or local fame in their own field but happen to be the oldest survivor of their profession at the same time that would be acceptable.

Only last night, my father-in-law asked if he could include Sam Dana in his selections. At 103, Sam Dana happens to also be the oldest former NFL player. So I agreed. Likewise, I've included Henry Allingham in mine as even though he's Britain's oldest man (which wouldn't qualify him) but he is the only surviving founder-member of the RAF which is some achievement.

So - Phantom - would your deadpool allow Wendy Ainscow, high suicide risk, subject of a television drama but famous largely because her plight became a national example used by mental health charties?

So - Phantom - would your deadpool allow Wendy Ainscow, high suicide risk, subject of a television drama but famous largely because her plight became a national example used by mental health charties?

to be homest I don't know a great deal about her, but to me it sounds like she's just known for being ill. If she was just an example by the health charities rather than one that went out to promote a charity then possibly not

Sort of like the Terri Shivos of the world

There's some similarities but the main difference is that Wendy Ainscow is smart enough to know what she's doing - up to and including helping in the scripting of the drama. I know it's a dodgy area but the truth is that as 'reality' merges more and more with fiction and the news media intrude more everywhere, those caught up in tragedies get to become significant players in shaping their own images. Once they've got involved like this they are - arguably - no longer just famous for being ill or victims. They come to represent something more.

So - hypothetically speaking - if a coach driver was involved in an accident and went on to become a self-harming suicide risk and started ranting to the press about the pressures of the job, he'd probably straddle a line where he was involved in his own celebrity to the point he'd qualify for half the deadpools going.

Just sayin', like.

There's some similarities but the main difference is that Wendy Ainscow is smart enough to know what she's doing - up to and including helping in the scripting of the drama. I know it's a dodgy area but the truth is that as 'reality' merges more and more with fiction and the news media intrude more everywhere, those caught up in tragedies get to become significant players in shaping their own images. Once they've got involved like this they are - arguably - no longer just famous for being ill or victims. They come to represent something more.

So - hypothetically speaking - if a coach driver was involved in an accident and went on to become a self-harming suicide risk and started ranting to the press about the pressures of the job, he'd probably straddle a line where he was involved in his own celebrity to the point he'd qualify for half the deadpools going.

Just sayin', like.

I guess if the coach driver became a serial killer and at various opportunities would plow into groups of people or start knocking random vehicles off the road, then possibly he would qualify.

The former American Senator, 77 year old Thomas Eagleton, who ran for the office of Vice President in 1972, is reported to be very frail. He has been hospitalised several times in the last few months with an unspecified condition. :) If he makes it to 2008, I think he would be a good replacement for Tim Johnson.

Guest Guest
The former American Senator, 77 year old Thomas Eagleton, who ran for the office of Vice President in 1972, is reported to be very frail. He has been hospitalised several times in the last few months with an unspecified condition. :skull: If he makes it to 2008, I think he would be a good replacement for Tim Johnson.

Why not, one obscure US politician for another.

Damn demeaning, bottom of the barrel scrapping.

Just been watching an episode of "Diagnosis Murder". Not only did we have Dick Van Dyke (81), but also guest stars Patrick MacNee (84), Robert Vaughn (74), Robert Culp (76) and Barbara Bain (75). Quite an array of possibilities talent there!

Just been watching an episode of "Diagnosis Murder". Not only did we have Dick Van Dyke (81), but also guest stars Patrick MacNee (84), Robert Vaughn (74), Robert Culp (76) and Barbara Bain (75). Quite an array of possibilities talent there!

Dick van Dyke is on both my DDP and HDP teams. :skull:

Was watching Blazing Saddles last night, quite an array there too, Harvey Korman (80), Dom DeLuise (74), David Huddleston (76).

Ian Lavender (Private Pike in Dad's Army)

Than Shwe, the president of Burma, who was mentioned previously on DeathList, has been admitted to hospital in Singapore. Details are scarce, but the good people at the Democratic Voice of Burma reckon he's got intestinal cancer.

Than Shwe, the president of Burma, who was mentioned previously on DeathList, has been admitted to hospital in Singapore. Details are scarce, but the good people at the Democratic Voice of Burma reckon he's got intestinal cancer.

Hope it's very painful....:ph34r:

Would a UK football manager, whose teams won the FA cup 3 times get a USA obit?

possibly. Emlyn Hughes is mentioned amongst a list of sports figures who died in 2004 on sports illustrated's website.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/scor...aths/index.html

John Lyall won the FA Cup twice. Ignored totally by the US press. :rolleyes:

But Walsh will get an obit as the Guardian loves obscure Americans. :lol:

Bill Walsh, former San Francisco 49ers coach. His teams won 3 super bowls. I'd guess he'd get a UK obit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...alsh/index.html

He'll get one... :lol:

He is on my DDP and HDP list for this year.

John Lyall won the FA Cup twice. Ignored totally by the US press. <_<

But Walsh will get an obit as the Guardian loves obscure Americans. :rolleyes:

from cnn.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/football/04/...yall/index.html

Does anyone have any health info on Baron Francis Pym ? I know he'll be 85 in February but that's about it.

Does anyone have any health info on Baron Francis Pym ? I know he'll be 85 in February but that's about it.

Yes. Not a well chap at all. Been on my DDP for years, and will continue to be until he drops. Used to live near him and also used to work for the NHS in Bedfordshire (where he lives) so I've known since 2003 he's been ill. Yet he carries on regardless.... :rolleyes: