themaninblack

The Boys Of '66

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

3 in the space of 3 months or so

11/22 of them died between 2018 and 2021.

Just 6 left.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Cohen

B.Charlton

Hurst

Paine

Callaghan

Eastham 

Hurst probably the most likely to be the last one standing IMO

So it's currently West Germany 16, England 6 in terms of squad survivors 

1 hour ago, Bentrovato said:

Can someone in charge update the who is next to go poll.

Well @themaninblack has been missing in action since mid-2019 now so maybe not.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well @themaninblack has been missing in action since mid-2019 now so maybe not.

fair enough. Callaghan. next then.

23 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Cohen

B.Charlton

Hurst

Paine

Callaghan

Eastham 

Hurst probably the most likely to be the last one standing IMO

I would also go with Hurst. Hurst is more involved in public life and healthier compared to the others though Paine also seems to be in decent health from a video of him in 2020. Cohen and Eastham have not had public appearances in years, Callaghan did not look great in his last known public appearance in 2016 and Bobby Charlton does not have long left with his dementia

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

I would also go with Hurst. Hurst is more involved in public life and healthier compared to the others though Paine also seems to be in decent health from a video of him in 2020. Cohen and Eastham have not had public appearances in years, Callaghan did not look great in his last known public appearance in 2016 and Bobby Charlton does not have long left with his dementia

Callaghan was at Roger Hunt’s funeral the other week and looked in decent health. 

An interesting Guardian interview with Geoff Hurst. He's playing down his recent pacemaker and claims to still do 20 minutes of Joe Wickes each day. Claims George Cohen is on crutches but is still ok mentally (i.e. doesn't have dementia yet) https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/03/geoff-hurst-heartache-1966-world-cup-donald-mcrae-interview

It’s probably in this thread somewhere, but did they ever list the ‘some people are on the pitch’ invaders by name, hard as that would be to verify? It’s probably the same people who were at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in June ‘76.

”Oh aye, I were on pitch when we won the World Cup”

10 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

It’s probably in this thread somewhere, but did they ever list the ‘some people are on the pitch’ invaders by name, hard as that would be to verify? It’s probably the same people who were at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in June ‘76.

”Oh aye, I were on pitch when we won the World Cup”

You could probably verify a few on the film evidence. Years after the event Andy Kershaw* found the guy who shouted "Judas" at the electric Dylan in Manchester in 1966. 

*hard smoking alcoholic DJ/writer whose life went to shit  while back so we should likely keep tabs (heh heh) - currently resident in Peel on the Isle of Man

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Andy Kershaw

*hard smoking alcoholic DJ/writer whose life went to shit  while back so we should likely keep tabs (heh heh) - currently resident in Peel on the Isle of Man

In the early 90s I used to occasionally eat and read the Sunday papers at Banners, his ex-missus's bistro in Crouch End. The one who took out a restraining order on him. He always seemed resident in Peel, John.

(Edit - i ate food, not the papers)

5 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

In the early 90s I used to occasionally eat and read the Sunday papers at Banners, his ex-missus's bistro in Crouch End. The one who took out a restraining order on him. He always seemed resident in Peel, John.

Banners still thrives as far as I know - he ended up kipping on mate's couches for a while but the Beeb have kept offering reporting work and the like so I think he's in better shape than he was. Incidentally, according to FB where his followers top 10,000 he's now resident in Todmorden, and he has a podcast: https://andykershaw.co.uk/podcast-10-23rd-december-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2SEPPxhbV56BmlhkDTt6LO2_h5CvFP2bRjh-6xLbM-TxLcIcjpKbRJ-Sk

On 12/11/2021 at 10:17, Deathrace said:

Of the currently living West German final XI:

Hottges (born 1943)

Schulz (born 1938)

Weber (born 1944)

Schnellinger (born 1939)

Beckenbauer (born 1945)

Overath (born 1943)

Seeler (born 1936)

Held (born 1942)

Of the living West German squad members: 

Hornig (born 1937)

Lutz (born 1939)

Patzke (born 1943)

Lorenz (born 1939)

Paul (born 1940)

Bernard (born 1939)

Maier (born 1944)

So of the starting XI, three are already well into their 80s along with five others in the squad. I'm not an actuary and with Covid on the rise in Germany and being footballers of this generation some of these guys may not be in great shape but you'd have to say the chances are at least one of these octogenarians will make it to be nonagenarians. 

Updated to reflect Grabowski's passing. Of the players who played in the final it remains England 3, West Germany 8. For the squad it's England 6, West Germany 15. I think this is correct but stand corrected on the Germans as it's surprising so many are still alive. 

Weren't the West German team younger by comparison though? 

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Weren't the West German team younger by comparison though? 

English median age 27

West German median age 26. 

English squad 30+ -  5 (oldest Ron Flowers who was 31)

German squad 30+ - 1 (Tilkowski)

English squad under 25 - 7

German squad under 25 - 10

I mean, slightly, but not really much of one.

• Thanks 1

On 11/03/2022 at 15:23, Deathrace said:

Updated to reflect Grabowski's passing. Of the players who played in the final it remains England 3, West Germany 8. For the squad it's England 6, West Germany 15. I think this is correct but stand corrected on the Germans as it's surprising so many are still alive. 

The deficit with Seelers death is down to 4.

7-3 of those who played

14-6 of the squad

• Like 2

Cohen, of course, one of that elite group: footballers whose only career silverware was a World Cup medal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

And then there were two...tragic.

Compared to 7 in the German squad. 

And 5-14 for the entire squad. 

Fascinating the big difference - Is the German health system really that much better?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Cohen, of course, one of that elite group: footballers whose only career silverware was a World Cup medal. 

The only one in the World Cup starting line up (From the bench Jimmy Armfield won the third division as a manager only.)

30 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Compared to 7 in the German squad. 

And 5-14 for the entire squad. 

Fascinating the big difference - Is the German health system really that much better?

Or were Germany footballs of the era not as heavy? I do think it's a remarkable stat especially as the German team would all have been young children during the aftermath of WW2 which were presumably not easy times in Germany.