Stayin Alive

Summer Olympic Deaths/Dead Medallists

On 26/10/2023 at 14:56, Ulitzer95 said:

Yet another 1948 Summer Olympics death. They've been dropping like flies lately.

French fencer Jacques Lefèvre, who participated to the 1948, 1952 (bronze medal), 1956, 1960 and 1964 Games, has died (source given by Oldest Olympian) aged 95.

Lefevre is a very common name in France, and I couldn’t find other sources or obit.

But the DOB and birth place do match.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

French fencer Jacques Lefèvre, who participated to the 1948, 1952 (bronze medal), 1956, 1960 and 1964 Games, has died (source given by Oldest Olympian) aged 95.

Lefevre is a very common name in France, and I couldn’t find other sources or obit.

But the DOB and birth place do match.

MatchID is a flawless source. All 3 forenames, surname, place of birth and date of birth all match. I don't know why you think it would be in question.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don't know why you think it would be in question.

Because like I said it’s very common in France. I happen to know three friends who go by that name. All born the same year, none of them related.

Plus I didn’t know that well MatchID before.

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Like 1

Antanas Bagdonavičius was born in Babiany, Poland (now Bobėnai, Lithuania) and died in Vilnius, Lithuania aged 85. He competed for the Soviet Union at the 1960, 1964 and 1968 Summer Olympics, winning the silver medal in the coxed doubles in 1960 (with Zigmas Jukna) finishing fifth and third in the round of 16 in 1964 and 1968 respectively. Between 1961 and 1967 he won three gold and four silver medals at European and world championships.
Mentioned in this game:

http://www.lif.lt/anapilin-iskeliavo-olimpinis-vicecempionas-antanas-bagdonavicius/

image.jpeg.b9a66ec11a667e7f773a8af99a56037c.jpeg

Sergei Diomidov was born in Turtkul, Karakalpak ASSR, Uzbek SSR, USSR and died aged 80, was a Soviet gymnast who competed in the 1964 Summer Olympics and 1968 Summer Olympics. He won team silver medals in both Games and a bronze in vault in 1968 and invented a skill on parallel bars, in 66 he won a gold in Parallel Bars at the world championships and team silver, in 70 he repeated the team silver at the world championships . At European level, he won 4 bronzes out of 65 in All around, Parallel bars, Pommel horse, and Horizontal bar

https://ura.news/news/1052741754

O três vezes medalhista olímpico Diomidov morreu aos 81 anos

Hanspeter Bellingrodt died aged 80, was a Colombian sports shooter. He finished fifteenth in the 50-meter sprint event at the 1972 Summer Olympics and thirteenth in the 50-meter sprint event at the 1976 Summer Olympics.

At the 1978 World Cup, he won bronze in the 50 m running target team

https://olimpicocol.co/web/lamentamos-el-fallecimiento-de-hans-peter-bellingrodt/

Hans-Peter-Bellingrodt-1200x675.jpeg

5 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Cuban boxer Emilio Correa, Olympic welterweight Champion at the 1972 Games, has died aged 71. With his teammates Orlando Martinez and Teofilo Stevenson, they were the first Cuban Boxing Olympics Champions.

He was the first men's welterweight world champion in 1974, he is the first world champion in that weight to die, in 78 the champion was the Soviet Valery Rachkov (b.1956 in Almaty, Kazakhstan), he was the Pan American champion of an older edition in the living Men's Middleweight category, (champion in 1971) who is now Clinton Jackson (champion in 1975), born in Evergreen, Alabama in 1954

3 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

@Canadian Paul is asking if John Salisbury is alive or has recent articles. Last article I've seen is dated 2008. Does GRO index mentioned any name like his living in Essex?

CanadianPaul hasn’t IS’d around here in some time.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/1998/09/bill-clinton-and-the-meaning-of-is.html

• Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

@Canadian Paul is asking if John Salisbury is alive or has recent articles. Last article I've seen is dated 2008. Does GRO index mentioned any name like his living in Essex?

Two things: 

1) CP is familiar with the GRO and I'm sure that's the first place he would have checked himself.

2) Short answer – no. There's no John Edward Salisbury b. 1934 in the GRO up to 2023. He was listed on 192 as living in Chelmsford, Essex up til 2013 then he disappears from the records. Could have moved to a retirement home, into a dwelling with another relative who abstains from the putting their residence details online or just voluntarily took himself off the directory.

• Like 1

Ernesto Bergamasco was born in Torre Annunziata, the Italian was an Olympic boxer, who competed in the 1972 games, and died at the age of 74, He was the Italian amateur super lightweight champion in 71 and 72 and after retiring he was a boxing coach

https://www.torresette.news/attualita/2024/03/17/torre-annunziata-addio-ad-ernesto-bergamasco-74-anni-pugile-olimpionico-di-monaco-72

Torre Annunziata - Addio ad Ernesto Bergamasco, 74 anni, pugile olimpionico di Monaco '72

• Like 1

In case someone wants to update Chaman Singh Gurung's wiki, one source says that he's dead but without date of death

• Like 1

Luigi Cimnaghi was born in Meda, Lombardy, and was a gymnast and died at the age of 83. He competed in the 1964 and 1968 Olympics in all artistic gymnastics events and finished in 4th and 12th place with the Italian team, respectively. His best individual result was 14th place on the parallel bars in 1964. He won gold medals with the Italian team at the 1963 and 1967 Mediterranean Games, as well as four individual medals in 1967: two silvers, on the parallel bars and vault and two medals bronze, in the general individual and in the horizontal bar

https://www.federginnastica.it/news/28095-ginnastica-in-lutto-luigi-cimnaghi-vola-in-cielo.html

220px-Luigi_Cimnaghi_1969.JPG

Violetta Quesada died aged 76 in Tampa,Florida, and was a Cuban sprinter who helped win the silver medal in the 4 x 100 meter relay at the 1968 Summer Olympics, the first Olympic medal won by Cuban women.
As a curiosity, she was Pan-American champion in 1967 of the women's 4 × 100 meters and is the second to die this year from that team (Márcia Garbey died on 1 Jan)

https://www.cibercuba.com/noticias/2024-03-25-u1-e208933-s27066-nid279363-muere-76-anos-atleta-medallista-olimpica-cubana

image.jpeg.c8eb450ca55d463a211454ccc9ae0cfc.jpeg

• Like 1