Bald rick

Room Lovely, Look You.

I bought a Rib to do up and fuck about with :)

10412029_822541537786604_4286921696992865103_n.jpg

Can't afford it at all, but I don't give two fucks.

• Like 2

I bought a Rib to do up and fuck about with :)

10412029_822541537786604_4286921696992865103_n.jpg

Can't afford it at all, but I don't give two fucks.

If you waited until you could afford it you would probably never get one.

Have fun.

• Like 1

^Is that a glorified lifeboat or something?

^Is that a glorified lifeboat or something?

4 meter Avon with a 40 on the back smug.gif

And yes, you are almost right, they are used by the RNLI.....

Wont even be turning the key for a couple of weeks as the engine needs a few bits 'n' bobs done for definite (has sat for 2 years), but if that goes tits up, my mate has a spare 55hp which will be getting bought/stolen, although that is probably too highly powered for the transom but who cares.

Plenty of dolphins/porps around, a few minke whales, and the mackerel is now here, so I want it going afore the end of the month. Wont need flat calm for this baybee :)

Family I have never met and know so little about getting in touch. My dad is at the end of his life, we had a real scare last week when his care team didn't think he would make it through the night, he did and has rallied, for which I am grateful, although it is a temporary respite, Alzheimer's is a cruel disease.

Returning home after visiting him, full of relief that he had recovered a bit I turned on my computer to find a message from one of my dad's nieces asking to be friends on Facebook. Since then things have escalated and I am now in touch with a whole side of his family I knew existed but had only seen their names on Christmas cards or through Dad talking about them on his rare forays down south to Derby, Bedfordshire and Great Yarmouth to meet up with his brothers and sisters. A couple of those cousins I met as kids, their parents I did meet at family parties as kids and one Auntie I have kept in touch with over the years although she is now heading down the same road to dementia as my dad and I had wondered why I hadn't heard anything from her for a while. Here we are a bunch of cousins all getting to know each other online and sharing family memories of our parents and ourselves, seems growing up in Scotland, England and Australia in the 1960's, 1970's and, for my second cousins who are also in touch, the 1980's we didn't have too many different experiences. Extremely old family photos of my Dad and his siblings are winging their way all over the net. I have the photos of the young handsome uncle who was sadly killed in an accident in 1958 and have made them available to all the cousins, many are downloading and printing them off to take to their surviving parent as nobody else had them except for Dad. A cousin in Australia has informed us she has a photograph of our grandmother who died in 1939, oh how my dad would have loved to see that, all his life he said there was a photo of his mum but he didn't know who had it, I should have it in my clutches in the next 2 weeks. There was a huge rift in the family in 1939 when our grandmother died, a sad, sad story that many of us have some information on, we have pieced it together and got some real results. Not least the cemetery in Scotland our grandfather is buried in and the grave and plot number, a secondf cousin has also sent me a copy of his death certificate. Efforts continue to piece together the rest of the story but we are happy to be in touch and what I really want to say is this is a 'Room Lovely' moment for me. I will lose my Dad soon but I have gained the contact with his family he always wanted me to have.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dad, first and foremost. We've had a few experiences of that illness in the family and its genuinely hideous. So much sympathy in that regard.

The internet is great for getting long distant relatives back together though. A few years ago I realised I knew sod all about my family tree, or family beyond the few folk I saw regularly. So I made an effort to get in touch with a bunch of cousins whose names I'd heard often from the older members of the family but never seen (it had been an open invite, I'd just been a bit shy about it before) outside of funerals. But then when I was investigating the family tree, I came across two branches of the family completely unexpectedly. A relative of my mums grandad who keeps in touch via email, who was able to give us lots of information we'd lost about my great-grandad. And delightfully, my cousin via my dads mum (who died before I was born) whom I never knew existed, but we have become fine friends since. She's about a decade older than me so able to fill in lots of details about the granny I never knew, and had pictures too! It's like little pieces of gold dust!

So yeah, its utterly delightful when this all comes together like this, and how nice it has for you at a time when you'd really need the good stuff! Best wishes and good luck to you.

• Like 1

Condolences, Lady G, and I do understand how a sad loss can bring happiness and pleasure in its wake. I have experienced something similar. Good luck in the days to come, you have already lost your Dad in many ways but it's still hard when all's done.

Good luck LG,

I lost my parents in the 70's, and did the opposite. Spent the next 35 years cutting the rest out of my life ( well not that long..........)

It is whatever you need to get you through this time I suppose, and your mum will need you more than you realise.

Good luck.

In response to my 101 post from 3 weeks ago about jacking in my job for no reason, I start a new one on Sunday , weather permitting :)

Resignation . Especially from a job you don't mind, quite like even.

And when no firm job to go to.

But it is Springlike :)

Why did you resign?

Not really sure, first sign of Spring and after seven years it is like a wee switch clicked to the "change now" position.

Got a week to find something else otherwise gonna be a long time skinto :)

Now, this could quickly go tits up and be back in room 101, as I got a job on a trawler :lol:.

I am 48 now, and though I've cut about on wee boats inshore the last decade, this is not gonna be easy, I've zero idea if I'll be seasick etc, and it is 6 day trips, so once away, I'm fucked.

Ach, ye never know unless you try :D

Now, this could quickly go tits up and be back in room 101, as I got a job on a trawler :lol:.

I am 48 now, and though I've cut about on wee boats inshore the last decade, this is not gonna be easy, I've zero idea if I'll be seasick etc, and it is 6 day trips, so once away, I'm fucked.

True, you'll soon know.

A cousin of mine was an engineer's mate in the merchant navy. He spent a few years at sea, but quit that job because he got seasick at the first bit of roll and it didn't go away. This was in the 60s and he soon found a job at Dodewaard nuclear power plant. That became a bit of an embarrasment in the 80s when his children didn't mention that to their friends.

A trawler, eh. Soon on this channel: Deathlist Catch!

• Like 1

In response to my 101 post from 3 weeks ago about jacking in my job for no reason, I start a new one on Sunday , weather permitting :)

Resignation . Especially from a job you don't mind, quite like even.

And when no firm job to go to.

But it is Springlike :)

Why did you resign?

Not really sure, first sign of Spring and after seven years it is like a wee switch clicked to the "change now" position.

Got a week to find something else otherwise gonna be a long time skinto :)

I admire your attitude. I wish I'd had the balls to take a few more chances in life. Good luck to you :)

• Like 1

So in future when I can smell rotting fish coming round the corner I won't know whether it's you or me 'ma....

Cheers lardy, only hard part is putting my pooch into kennels for probably 3 months :( , but as it is only me and skipper on boat, working shorthanded should make enough to see me through rest of the year if I'm canny, so the doggie and me will benefit greatly from a late summer and autumn of camping on the wee isles.

So in future when I can smell rotting fish coming round the corner I won't know whether it's you or me 'ma....

Gave up farming fish Dr, it prawns I'm hunting now....

Can we change this thread title to room 505 after the grestest song of the noughties?

Can we change this thread title to room 505 after the grestest song of the noughties?

Great Song/Noughties

Does not compute, fatal error.

• Like 1

Great Song/Noughties

Come on! It wasn't all tosh...

Great Song/Noughties

No , that was reggae.

Mon.

Great Song/Noughties

No, not quite all. And since this is Room Lovely, let's see Bruce getting his shirt off. :wub:

Great Song/Noughties

No, not quite all. And since this is Room Lovely, let's see Bruce getting his shirt off. :wub:

You try to convince me that the noughties had some good music and Exhibit A is Bruce Springsteen if there is anyone who looks and sounds like they have been left over from the Seventies it is Bruce.

I also think that durable artists don't count unless that was the era when they came to prominence.

I await Exhibit B.

Great Song/Noughties

You try to convince me that the noughties had some good music and Exhibit A is Bruce Springsteen if there is anyone who looks and sounds like they have been left over from the Seventies it is Bruce.

I also think that durable artists don't count unless that was the era when they came to prominence.

I await Exhibit B.

Here's the NME's top 100 songs of the noughties. There must be something there that isn't tosh, though Beyonce's Crazy in Love gets top spot, so....

• Like 1

Great Song/Noughties

I await Exhibit B.

Here's the NME's top 100 songs of the noughties. There must be something there that isn't tosh, though Beyonce's Crazy in Love gets top spot, so....

Thank you Time. I have just been through the entire list. If there were a comparable list for the Eighties I could probably sing the refrain (very badly) from 80%. I only wrote down three songs that fitted my criteria I rejected Can't get you out of my Head because I count Kylie as a durable artist and The Futureheads version of The Hounds of Love because it was a cover version. Which leaves me with Crazy - Gnarls Barkley, Empire State of Mind - Alicia Keyes and Umbrella - Rihanna.

I think it is best if I keep a distant relationship with Noughties music. We will all be a lot happier.

Oh, the noughties .... Gah! I misread it, thought it said the nineties. Another visit to Specsavers is indicated.

Bruce is extremely versatile, he's had a go at most genres. I don't like everything he's done. But most people are only familiar with about half a dozen of his songs, and none recent.

• Like 1

That moment when you realise after a month your earphones aren't broken - the sound is just being muted by a half cm thick layer of solid crispy earwax. A few seconds and a pencil later - welcome back full volume and long term storage for tinnitus.

EDIT: corrected headphones to earphones - i'm not a complete heathen.