Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Can anyone that's used a Kindle recommend them (or not) ? I do a lot of reading while out walking (not into lampposts or people, so far) and while there's nothing nicer than a good old paperback I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Not into a bath, obviously, as I'd imagine that wouldn't do it any good.

Gordon Brown likes his...according to his wife who gave it to him for a birthday present.

Can anyone that's used a Kindle recommend them (or not) ? I do a lot of reading while out walking (not into lampposts or people, so far) and while there's nothing nicer than a good old paperback I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Not into a bath, obviously, as I'd imagine that wouldn't do it any good.

I got Mrs HCW one for Christmas as she can go through a couple of books a week. I would recomend one.

I've had the Kindle app on my phones / iPod Touch for ages but it's a real pain when the sun is shining trying to read a backlit screen. The Kindle screen is just like a book page.

The battery lasts for ages and it will easily sync with all your other devices.

You can download samples of books you might be interested in and Amazon give you a decent amount of text in that respect as well as a personalised newsletter with samples based on what you have ordered.

Everything is stored on a centralised server so if you do drop it in the bath / walk into a lamppost / get mugged you only have to replace the hardware.

Gordon Brown likes his...

I take it this is a non-recommendation then... ;)

Gordon Brown likes his...

I take it this is a non-recommendation then... :lol:

I have a Sony Reader and I love it. I always tell people that I recommend you get an eReader. Whichever one you get is up to you. :lol:

I could not find any help in imbedding video. Is this still not possible?

I could not find any help in imbedding video. Is this still not possible?

Dunno, really. I never tried, but I don't seem to remember I've seen any options for it. I'll investigate the matter. Could take some time though.

regards,

Hein

Rather than starting yet another thread for a single query why not add this to the "Ask a Deathlister" thread? It's what it's there for, says Mr Tidy.

Edited by Lady Grendel
Threads merged

I deleted my last post about having to learn to drive because I have a more important question.

New Grand C-Max or Grand S-Max? I'm going to be looking at both tomorrow so I'd appreciate advice from Clarkson-esque DLers.

I deleted my last post about having to learn to drive because I have a more important question.

New Grand C-Max or Grand S-Max? I'm going to be looking at both tomorrow so I'd appreciate advice from Clarkson-esque DLers.

Don't ask us Bou, ask good old Honest John.

. What Car readers
but generally positive, without having driven it..

My laptop seems to have died.

"Operating System Not Found"...

Any ideas on how to attempt to fix this?

Sounds like a dodgy hard disk to me.

Chose zero or more from the following list:

• Try to boot from CD-ROM and, gingerly, try to look at the HD's content, if any
  • Replace and reinstall everything you had installed on your laptop
  • Hire local Pimply Faced Youth
  • Start saving for new laptop

regards,

Hein

Sounds like a dodgy hard disk to me.

Chose zero or more from the following list:

• Try to boot from CD-ROM and, gingerly, try to look at the HD's content, if any
  • Replace and reinstall everything you had installed on your laptop
  • Hire local Pimply Faced Youth
  • Start saving for new laptop

regards,

Hein

This is what happened to my last laptop. Apparently its because I always have it plugged into charge.

I saved all the important files about a month ago. Had a feeling this was about to happen.

I'll probably just buy another laptop.

This is what happened to my last laptop. Apparently its because I always have it plugged into charge.

A friend was told by several computer experts that he'd have to replace his beloved laptop. Then someone suggested that he remove the battery and plug the laptop directly to the power source. It seems that if you use your laptop like a desktop PC, always plugged into charge, after 2000+ hours the battery becomes fried, thus rendering the rest of the laptop useless. Removing the battery apparently works. He told me to spread the word. Consider it spread!

I gave this a go in a last act of desperation, but sadly it didn't work.

My error message has changed now though. It now says I should run Windows Recovery. When I try this, it asks me to restore operating systems, but there is a long list and I don't know what I'm looking for. The end result is that it tries to restore windows and I either end up looking at a) a black screen with a large pointer thing :burnash: a blank torquoise green screen.

I think it's safe to assume that all my documents have been wiped from my computer. If thats the case, I may as well buy a new machine.

Don't ask us Bou, ask good old Honest John.
. What Car readers
but generally positive, without having driven it..

Thanks for that Godot :burnash: Have to agree with Honest John, the S-Max is a seven-seater sports car. Semi-automatic so I can put it into "asexual Mum-mobile" mode and my husband will break the speed limit and whoosh about leaving boy racers standing have fun driving it at weekends. What more could one ask from a family car?

My error message has changed now though. It now says I should run Windows Recovery. When I try this, it asks me to restore operating systems, but there is a long list and I don't know what I'm looking for. The end result is that it tries to restore windows and I either end up looking at a) a black screen with a large pointer thing :burnash: a blank torquoise green screen.

I think it's safe to assume that all my documents have been wiped from my computer. If thats the case, I may as well buy a new machine.

In fact it is safe to assume that most of your stuff can be recovered if you want it. Take the hard disk to a recovery expert and they will try. Don't do this if you have anything you shouldn't have on the disk :-)

Thanks for that Godot :) Have to agree with Honest John, the S-Max is a seven-seater sports car. Semi-automatic so I can put it into "asexual Mum-mobile" mode and my husband will break the speed limit and whoosh about leaving boy racers standing have fun driving it at weekends. What more could one ask from a family car?

Four wheel drive and a lot of mud. :)

My husband, on the other other other other hand, believes he should always have a two seater convertible turbo roadster so he doesn't have to be the chauffeur. Jerk.

My error message has changed now though. It now says I should run Windows Recovery. When I try this, it asks me to restore operating systems, but there is a long list and I don't know what I'm looking for. The end result is that it tries to restore windows and I either end up looking at a) a black screen with a large pointer thing :) a blank torquoise green screen.

In fact it is safe to assume that most of your stuff can be recovered if you want it. Take the hard disk to a recovery expert and they will try. Don't do this if you have anything you shouldn't have on the disk :-)

I have seen this kind of thing a couple of times and the answer MAY be to try to 'slave' the laptop disk to a desktop pc. It then is effectively a second HDD to the desktop and files can be copied to the C: drive for safekeeping. Then format the laptop drive, install back to laptop and install OS (Windows, Ubuntu, Whatever)

Lots of info on web about slaving......

Four wheel drive and a lot of mud. :)

My husband, on the other other other other hand, believes he should always have a two seater convertible turbo roadster so he doesn't have to be the chauffeur. Jerk.

My husband is already looking at two-seaters which I thought a bit odd since our youngest is only three years old.

Thanks to your post I can see it for the ploy that it is!

Does anyone have a copy of my 2010 shadow list? Its the only one I can't find since my computer broke.

I figure that at least one person may have saved a copy in case I tried to swap a few names half way through the year...

Long shot but can anyone help me find my avatar? I was drunkenly messing around with sign generators and my personal picture at the weekend and replaced it by mistake without saving the old one.

I thought I had a copy on Face-book, but no.

And I lost all the lovely photo-shopped seasonal variations kindly produced by Hein and Captain Oates in the Great Pancake and Maple Syrup / laptop incident of 2011.

My husband found the picture in 2005 before Google Images even existed!

It doesn't help that James Cameron, the bastard, released a film entitled "Avatar"

That's if anyone can even remember what it looked like. I'm not too sure myself unsure.png

That was my first one but I only had that for a week or so. You did help me slim it down in 2005 as I recall, thank you.

I could use it again I suppose.

Long shot but can anyone help me find my avatar? I was drunkenly messing around with sign generators and my personal picture at the weekend and replaced it by mistake without saving the old one.

I thought I had a copy on Face-book, but no.

And I lost all the lovely photo-shopped seasonal variations kindly produced by Hein and Captain Oates in the Great Pancake and Maple Syrup / laptop incident of 2011.

My husband found the picture in 2005 before Google Images even existed!

It doesn't help that James Cameron, the bastard, released a film entitled "Avatar"

That's if anyone can even remember what it looked like. I'm not too sure myself unsure.png

Hi Bou

This is your avatar on the Hartlepool Deadpool forums - Isn't it the same as your missing DL avatar?

av4566ud.jpg