Godot

Ask A Deathlister

OK, breaking the rules, my top 10 from any era (excluding classical, most jazz, folk and Danny Williams):

Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Wishbone Ash - Argus

Simon and Grafunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

Genesis - Nursery Crime

Van der Graaf Generator - The Least we can do is wave to each other

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Billie Holiday - 16 classic tracks

Led Zeppelin - fourth album

No Bob Marley? No Neil Young? No Leonard Cohen? This is too painful and soooo last century.

Umm...Godot . my man.....thats a scarey list very close to my own. I'd pick Foxtrot over Nursey Cryme no question...and I certainly wouldn't go with V d GG nor Billie Holiday (?) ...but otherwise...

God...I hate being old......

The first album I ever bought was Bridge over troubled water...then it was Sgt Pepper....then Ziggy Stardust !...remember it well.....

• Like 1

The first album I bought was Book of Dreams - Steve Miller Band. I'd probably still rank it among my favorites.

LG Said... Hmm, Ok I've taken out the early ones and replaced them with these (although we could have kept Slade's Greatest Hits as it was released in 1997 ;) ), I'm fairly sure that nothing from my collection will be loaded onto your ipod or anybody elses for that matter :blink: .

Rammstein - Mutter

Thunder - Laughing on Judgement Day

The Quireboys - A Bit of What You Fancy

Accept - Balls to the Wall

Georgia Satellites - Georgia Satellies

David Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile

I absolutely loved that album! Memories...

My own musical tastes became limited as my age increased. I mostly listen to The Beatles now, but I sometimes regress and blast out super-loud tracks from my younger days -Love/Hate, The Almighty, Skid Row... then again, I do like listening to Jack Johnson in my more mellow moods.

My own musical tastes became limited as my age increased. I mostly listen to The Beatles now, but I sometimes regress and blast out super-loud tracks from my younger days -Love/Hate, The Almighty, Skid Row... then again, I do like listening to Jack Johnson in my more mellow moods.

Welcome to my world :blink: Me and my friend got propositioned by Skid Row's roadies at the NEC once. They were old. Very old. We did not take advantage of their kind offers.

As Mono said, Im not a great lover of post 1984 stuff, however, I do have a few CDs that are considered "modern".

I would strongly recommend The Hold Steady as a good starting point ( Stay positive is a good un).

I too get my tracks from alternative sources, which is good as the chances of being sued by a dead artist is marginal.... :blink:

OK, breaking the rules, my top 10 from any era (excluding classical, most jazz, folk and Danny Williams):

Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Wishbone Ash - Argus

Simon and Grafunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

Genesis - Nursery Crime

Van der Graaf Generator - The Least we can do is wave to each other

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Billie Holiday - 16 classic tracks

Led Zeppelin - fourth album

No Bob Marley? No Neil Young? No Leonard Cohen? This is too painful and soooo last century.

Godot man, you're comin' to DLCONIII, right? We've gotta talk. If you're not a regular listener to BBC 6 Music's FreakZone on a Sunday night, check it out. The one place you'll hear VDGG and the likes of Peter Blegvad on a regular basis. A mate of mine who - sort of - knows Dave Sinclair told me that the show has been responsible for a sales boost in old prog, with Caravan's Land of the Grey and Pink a notable benificiary.

Whilst we're asking DLers about music, here's an interesting question myself and the Voice of Young Maryport were debating whilst eating our chips and gazing out to sea the other night.

Which is the most significant musical act not to have a tribute band? I reckoned Frank Zappa until someone on the Carlisle United message board pointed out he saw Zappa and Beefheart tribute acts every year at a festival in Germany.

Young Maryport reckoned Travis.

Whilst we're asking DLers about music, here's an interesting question myself and the Voice of Young Maryport were debating whilst eating our chips and gazing out to sea the other night.

Which is the most significant musical act not to have a tribute band? I reckoned Frank Zappa until someone on the Carlisle United message board pointed out he saw Zappa and Beefheart tribute acts every year at a festival in Germany.

Thank-f**k!

TYVM has logically reasoned that Nietzsche was indeed wrong and there is, after all, a God. A* that man.

IMHO and all that.

Is it because they is sh*t tho?

Is Bob Crow skanky or does he own a whole wardrobe of pikey green T-shirts?

Is Bob Crow skanky or does he own a whole wardrobe of pikey green T-shirts?

I used to have a science teacher called Bob Crow. He was a big fat bastard.

One of the questions I have had since I was about 12.

When I was in secondary school there was girl inmy class who was petrified of blood. Just the smallest amount would make her faint. A slight nose bleed and she would faint. The smallest cut ro a finger and she would faint.

So what do you suppose happens every time she has her period? :o

One of the great unanswered questions of my youth...

I'm struggling with this one: was this kid lucky or unlucky?

I'm struggling with this one: was this kid lucky or unlucky?

A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground.

I think he was lying...

When I was in secondary school there was girl inmy class who was petrified of blood. Just the smallest amount would make her faint. A slight nose bleed and she would faint. The smallest cut ro a finger and she would faint.

Funnily enough, I can answer this question for you.

My daughter suffers from Reflex Anoxic Seizures. The sudden sight of blood, sudden trauma, however slight (i.e. a tiny cut to the finger), even seeing someone having their ears pierced without warning causes her to faint. She once dreamt about someone getting their lip pierced, woke up and had a seizure. It's a bit more than a faint. She comes over all funny, goes completely grey and sweaty, passes out for anything up to a few minutes, then comes round, vomits, and then sleeps for hours. Her heart actually stops for a few seconds, causing the faint and the tiredness afterwards. However, she doesn't suffer these on her period, as this is an expected sight of blood, not a sudden one or one associated with trauma.

Maybe the girl you know had something similar?

My daughter suffers from Reflex Anoxic Seizures. The sudden sight of blood, sudden trauma, however slight (i.e. a tiny cut to the finger), even seeing someone having their ears pierced without warning causes her to faint. She once dreamt about someone getting their lip pierced, woke up and had a seizure. It's a bit more than a faint. She comes over all funny, goes completely grey and sweaty, passes out for anything up to a few minutes, then comes round, vomits, and then sleeps for hours. Her heart actually stops for a few seconds, causing the faint and the tiredness afterwards. However, she doesn't suffer these on her period, as this is an expected sight of blood, not a sudden one or one associated with trauma.

Amazing how there's usually an answer. :o

**CarolAnn's fail**

I've always wondered about that myself, Windsor.

My daughter's life would be very difficult if she fainted at the sight of blood!

A reflex anoxic seizure is a type of fit triggered by a temporary cutting off of the supply of blood to the brain. It is not a form of epilepsy, and is different from breath-holding attacks. A reflex anoxic seizure can be induced by any unexpected stimuli such as pain, fear or fright, or even by a very hot or cold bath.

The trigger factor causes the heart to stop or slow down dramatically, which in turn reduces the flow of blood to the brain. The child goes limp, falls down and becomes very pale. The body may stiffen and there may be jerking movements of the arms and legs.

After a short while the blood flow to the brain is restored and the child rapidly returns to normal although they may sleep for some time afterwards.

Indeed. Pretty much what I said.

A reflex anoxic seizure is a type of fit triggered by a temporary cutting off of the supply of blood to the brain. It is not a form of epilepsy, and is different from breath-holding attacks. A reflex anoxic seizure can be induced by any unexpected stimuli such as pain, fear or fright, or even by a very hot or cold bath.

The trigger factor causes the heart to stop or slow down dramatically, which in turn reduces the flow of blood to the brain. The child goes limp, falls down and becomes very pale. The body may stiffen and there may be jerking movements of the arms and legs.

After a short while the blood flow to the brain is restored and the child rapidly returns to normal although they may sleep for some time afterwards.

Indeed. Pretty much what I said.

Oops - there was supposed to be a link there. Chances of me finding it now are slim. :P Sorry, Lard. Going to take it out now.

So what was this little exchange about last night?

Is TF bearing some kind of a grudge? A bit out of character, that. Can we be enlightened?

Also can I say welcome back Star Crossed. Your acerbic posts and general pissedoffedness with life, the universe and everyone except Patrick Moore have been much missed. Good to know you're still alive and getting drunk. There's been a bit of post whoring around these parts in your absence. You weren't ever married to someone called Lard Bazaar by any chance?

Is this "just looking" day today? Just wondered, like. :wub:

Is this "just looking" day today? Just wondered, like. :wub:

Yup, looks like it is. Taken the dog for a walk, had a cup of tea, done the crossword and nothing, nothing at all has happened.

On Tuesday I went into a shop and tried to buy about £1.50 worth of items with a £5 note.

The woman didn't serve me because she had no change.

Nightmare.

The man behind me then tried to buy a mars bar or something and asked, "Have you got change from a pound"?

Should I have been as cheeky as that man, or was I right just to accept she had no change?

(Is this the sort of hot topic you were after, Godot?) :wub:

On Tuesday I went into a shop and tried to buy about £1.50 worth of items with a £5 note.

Nightmare.

The man behind me then tried to buy a mars bar or something and asked, "Have you got change from a pound"?

Should I have been as cheeky as that man, or was I right just to accept she had no change?

You mean to say that you, a poor and destitute student, had a £5 note on you?!

How dare you spend the fruits of my labour!

I want it back NOW, you little f'ucker!!!

Nightmare.

You mean to say that you, a poor and destitute student, had a £5 note on you?!

How dare you spend the fruits of my labour!

I want it back NOW, you little f'ucker!!!

The question that's on all of our lips is what precisely were you trying to buy?

Anybody care to guess Windy's £1.50 non-purchase? I'll go for a long shot, a copy of Asian babes.