Godot

Ask A Deathlister

Just looking at the photo of Patrick Swayze and one of the other headlines caught my eye. The one about DNA from someone's corpse found in someone's shoes. Perhaps someone more scientific can answer me - is DNA from a corpse different from a living person, is it possible to tell from DNA whether the person was dead or not when the DNA got there?

• Like 1

Just looking at the photo of Patrick Swayze and one of the other headlines caught my eye. The one about DNA from someone's corpse found in someone's shoes. Perhaps someone more scientific can answer me - is DNA from a corpse different from a living person, is it possible to tell from DNA whether the person was dead or not when the DNA got there?

I don't believe DNA has a "best before" date.

On an associated note, I do know a civil servant who was caught w*nking - and depositing - into a lady*'s shoes (late at night in the office). Somehow, since then, he even got promoted...(?)

* she'd left them under her desk.

I do know a civil servant who was caught w*nking - and depositing - into a lady*'s shoes (late at night in the office). Somehow, since then, he even got promoted...(?)

Nothing wrong with that, some men like the 'older lady'. Providing the children weren't in of course.

I do know a civil servant who was caught w*nking - and depositing - into a lady*'s shoes (late at night in the office).

Is this how Dr Scholls make their massaging gel insoles?

Does anybody know anything about employment law?

I have worked at the same place for over 6 years, but about 2 weeks ago we were bought over by a new company. The new company are claiming that, as far as they are concerned, I have only worked there for two weeks (since they took over). I am currently still on my old contract.

How legal is that?

I have worked at the same place for over 6 years, but about 2 weeks ago we were bought over by a new company. The new company are claiming that, as far as they are concerned, I have only worked there for two weeks (since they took over). I am currently still on my old contract.

How legal is that?

I don't know anything, but it sounds utter bollocks. Do any of the solicitors in your neck of the woods do a free half-hour, so you could get some advice? Or the Citizens Advice Bureau?

How legal is that?

This site may give you an answer Windsor.

The effect is as if your contract of employment had been agreed with the new owner at the start of your original employment. Not only are your terms and conditions of employment transferred, but all the liabilities of the previous employer are also transferred.

Thanks for the help.

It is utter bollocks like.

Everybody I have asked has questioned the legality of the move. It is simply a way of avoiding redundancy pay. They will be firing me soon along with the rest of the kitchen staff (almost a given). If I sign their contract it means I will be agreeing to the idea that I have only worked there 2 weeks, and they can get rid of me pronto. If I don't sign their contract, they can apparently fire me in 8 weeks (so I have 6 left).

At the same time they are trying to tell us when we can take our annual leave (it has to be spead out), and are banning us from taking unpaid days off (something we had been allowed to do so longs as we arranged our own cover).

With regards citizens advice - I have been told to go, but the showdown meeting will be this Thursday at 2 o'clock. So I wil have to try and find the time.

I'd probably be better off getting the sack.

Thanks for the help.

It is utter bollocks like.

Everybody I have asked has questioned the legality of the move. It is simply a way of avoiding redundancy pay. They will be firing me soon along with the rest of the kitchen staff (almost a given). If I sign their contract it means I will be agreeing to the idea that I have only worked there 2 weeks, and they can get rid of me pronto. If I don't sign their contract, they can apparently fire me in 8 weeks (so I have 6 left).

At the same time they are trying to tell us when we can take our annual leave (it has to be spead out), and are banning us from taking unpaid days off (something we had been allowed to do so longs as we arranged our own cover).

With regards citizens advice - I have been told to go, but the showdown meeting will be this Thursday at 2 o'clock. So I wil have to try and find the time.

I'd probably be better off getting the sack.

Get yourself signed off sick for two weeks (piece of piss, go into the doc, cry and say you're suicidal, result - one sicknote stating 'stress') - that will buy you some time to get advice - they can't sack you while you're off sick else you can take them to the cleaners.

The new owners turned out not to be as bad as the rumours suggested. I will have a job for at least 3 years. Hopefully I won't still need it by then...

Anyway - new problem.

Last night I scanned a picture. It is quite big and I need to reduce the size. How do I reduce the size without it going all wonky?

Quite big as in memory?

just lower the resolution using your picture editing program.

if you don't have one, try Gimp

The new owners turned out not to be as bad as the rumours suggested. I will have a job for at least 3 years. Hopefully I won't still need it by then...

Anyway - new problem.

Last night I scanned a picture. It is quite big and I need to reduce the size. How do I reduce the size without it going all wonky?

Thanks. :crossbone:

In the end I just took a photo of the photo with a digital camera, used the crop tool, and reduced the size.

It does the job. :)

Thanks. :crossbone:

In the end I just took a photo of the photo with a digital camera, used the crop tool, and reduced the size.

It does the job. :)

Here's a handy hint if you're running windows and Outlook/Outlook Express, just select the file you're interested in with Explorer, right click and select send by email (or whatever the wording is). Before it attaches it to your email, a windows popup will ask whether you want to resize the picture as small, medium or large. Some of our younger members might be confused when it doesn't ask whether you want fries with it.

I know there's a lot of musical knowledge on this forum so I'm hoping some of you can help out. I have a gap in my music collection running from about 1979 to the present day. Any new stuff I have collected since then is either new stuff by people whose music I knew, such as Neil Young and Leonard Cohen or stuff that my kids have taped (do you still tape music?) for me.

Well now I have gone and invested in an I-pod with space for about 29,000 more songs after sticking what I have on there (including some pretty obscure stuff such as Women of Mali). So I'm looking for a speedy musical education. I you were to name 10 albums from the past 30 years that you could not live without what would they be? Ideally not best of old farts like Van Morrison (who I like, incidentally).

Just to put things in context, I think of a band such as Eurythmics as modern. The stuff I grew up with was Wishbone Ash, Led Zep, Curved Air, King Crimson, Yes, that sort of thing. I like Irish Folk and Eric Bogle but most of the Dubliners are dead now. Some stuff like garage and techno I just don't understand and I still think of Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn as DJs whereas one of my kids just paid to go see a DJ. I don't get that at all. But I have heard of the Killers and I do have that song about "Are we human or are we dancer?" somewhere.

I don't want to download MP3 tracks but am willing to invest in 10 CDs on Amazon. First on my list, I'm thinking, is Alison Krauss - Forget About It. But I'm stumped for the other nine. Any ideas?

I know there's a lot of musical knowledge on this forum so I'm hoping some of you can help out. I have a gap in my music collection running from about 1979 to the present day. Any new stuff I have collected since then is either new stuff by people whose music I knew, such as Neil Young and Leonard Cohen or stuff that my kids have taped (do you still tape music?) for me.

Well now I have gone and invested in an I-pod with space for about 29,000 more songs after sticking what I have on there (including some pretty obscure stuff such as Women of Mali). So I'm looking for a speedy musical education. I you were to name 10 albums from the past 30 years that you could not live without what would they be? Ideally not best of old farts like Van Morrison (who I like, incidentally).

Just to put things in context, I think of a band such as Eurythmics as modern. The stuff I grew up with was Wishbone Ash, Led Zep, Curved Air, King Crimson, Yes, that sort of thing. I like Irish Folk and Eric Bogle but most of the Dubliners are dead now. Some stuff like garage and techno I just don't understand and I still think of Jimmy Savile and Tony Blackburn as DJs whereas one of my kids just paid to go see a DJ. I don't get that at all. But I have heard of the Killers and I do have that song about "Are we human or are we dancer?" somewhere.

I don't want to download MP3 tracks but am willing to invest in 10 CDs on Amazon. First on my list, I'm thinking, is Alison Krauss - Forget About It. But I'm stumped for the other nine. Any ideas?

10 CDs won't get you very far. When you say you don't want to download MP3 tracks is that because you like the plastic and paper artwork that comes with it? If not and your morals are of a dubious nature then there is more than one way to skin a cat by looking outside of the HMV Amazon Itunes download ring. Without bringing the DL into disrepute, I suggest you ask your kids about it. It would probably earn you cool dad kudos points too.

These however may or may not:

"Hello Doctor" - Gravy Train!!!!

"Metridium Fields" - Giant Squid

EDIT: There has to be some deathlister virtual mix "tape" competition out of this. Though I believe an LFN mix tape will only go as far as 1984 :unsure:

My favourites are all pretty run of the mill (remembering we all have different tastes, so no sN-wording at the back) and they don't go back 30 years cos I'm a young'un :(

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses

Nevermind - Nirvana

By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Real Thing - Faith No More

Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace - Foo Fighters

Violator - Depeche Mode

The Very Best of The Smiths

What's The Story (Morning Glory) - Oasis

Favourite Worst Nightmare - Arctic Monkeys

I think though that favourites are subject to change, depending on mood, situation, drunkenness :unsure:

Perhaps we should start a music club, like Richard and Judy's book club, to broaden our horizons.....I thought I had quite a broad taste, but looking at my favourites, I haven't really.

Just 10? That's a difficult one, I agree with LB, mine too are subject to change due to mood, drunkenness etc and I probably wouldn't pick the same ones tomorrow.

ELO - Out of the Blue

The Darkness - Permission to Land (you can slag me all you like, I've heard it all before :unsure: )

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Slade - Greatest Hits

Queen - Queen II (the only Queen album I like)

AC/DC - Back in Black

Cheap Trick - at Budokan

Van Halen - Van Halen I

Just 10? That's a difficult one, I agree with LB, mine too are subject to change due to mood, drunkenness etc and I probably wouldn't pick the same ones tomorrow.

ELO - Out of the Blue

The Darkness - Permission to Land (you can slag me all you like, I've heard it all before :unsure: )

Slade - Greatest Hits

AC/DC - Back in Black

Cheap Trick - at Budokan

Van Halen - Van Halen I

Hang on LG, some of those are pre-1979. It's got to be Generation X and beyond. I understand the changing musical taste issue but we can discount that. I'm trying to pick up stuff like REM (who I know about from my kids) and the Kings of Leon (likewise). Never heard of Cheap Trick, will look them up.

Mono, I know about the internet swapping sites but am trying to avoid dodgyness. Also I have a CD with tracks from that source and one of them is Layla which starts fine and then goes in to a screeching noise (laid over no doubt to deter pirates) that f**ks up the whole CD.

I just don't want to pay 79p or whatever for a single track that I can't hold in my hand like a piece of vinyl. It's like buying a bit of air that's not even in a bottle. I have plenty Bowie but never took to Slade that much even though I used to dress like them (4 inch platforms, flapper pants, panda collar, tank top, suede velvet jacket in red and purple, mullet cut, oh yes!). I like Dougie Maclean. Some stuff like Nursery Crime by Genesis, Songs in the Key of Life and the Beatles White Album I have on vinyl which is a bugger for sticking on an ipod.

Ten won't get me far but if a lot of people put up 10 albums there should be stuff to choose from. I only need 29,000 bloody songs.

OK, breaking the rules, my top 10 from any era (excluding classical, most jazz, folk and Danny Williams):

Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Wishbone Ash - Argus

Simon and Grafunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

Genesis - Nursery Crime

Van der Graaf Generator - The Least we can do is wave to each other

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Billie Holiday - 16 classic tracks

Led Zeppelin - fourth album

No Bob Marley? No Neil Young? No Leonard Cohen? This is too painful and soooo last century.

Hang on LG, some of those are pre-1979....

Hmm, Ok I've taken out the early ones and replaced them with these (although we could have kept Slade's Greatest Hits as it was released in 1997 :( ), I'm fairly sure that nothing from my collection will be loaded onto your ipod or anybody elses for that matter :unsure: .

Rammstein - Mutter

Thunder - Laughing on Judgement Day

The Quireboys - A Bit of What You Fancy

Accept - Balls to the Wall

Georgia Satellites - Georgia Satellies

David Lee Roth - Eat 'em and Smile

ELO - Out of the Blue

Slade - Greatest Hits

AC/DC - Back in Black

Cheap Trick - at Budokan

Van Halen - Van Halen I

Hang on LG, some of those are pre-1979. It's got to be Generation X and beyond. I understand the changing musical taste issue but we can discount that. I'm trying to pick up stuff like REM (who I know about from my kids) and the Kings of Leon (likewise). Never heard of Cheap Trick, will look them up.

Mono, I know about the internet swapping sites but am trying to avoid dodgyness. Also I have a CD with tracks from that source and one of them is Layla which starts fine and then goes in to a screeching noise (laid over no doubt to deter pirates) that f**ks up the whole CD.

I just don't want to pay 79p or whatever for a single track that I can't hold in my hand like a piece of vinyl. It's like buying a bit of air that's not even in a bottle. I have plenty Bowie but never took to Slade that much even though I used to dress like them (4 inch platforms, flapper pants, panda collar, tank top, suede velvet jacket in red and purple, mullet cut, oh yes!). I like Dougie Maclean. Some stuff like Nursery Crime by Genesis, Songs in the Key of Life and the Beatles White Album I have on vinyl which is a bugger for sticking on an ipod.

Ten won't get me far but if a lot of people put up 10 albums there should be stuff to choose from. I only need 29,000 bloody songs.

Personally I think their best album is Out of Time. But since he started painting his face blue I think they've gone a bit crap.

You can get a nifty piece of kit that enables you to put your vinyl onto your PC. Dunno what it's called though. I imagine a quick google will reveal all.

Very commendable to be above board Godot, as you probably gathered I'm not. It's far easier to find the artists and labels who wouldn't miss a bob or two online but that's by no means a valid excuse I guess. I think I have a Scottish gene. Anyway my input to the mainstream post 1979 music I've enjoyed would go something like this:

I too go with LBs idea of best ofs seeing as 10 is the limit, then if you like what you hear you can go back for more!

The Smiths - Singles

(Thomas the Tank Enginesque)

Massive Attack - Old enough to have a best of (probably)

Manic Street Preachers - Forever Delayed

And my foreign entry (excluding the Scissor sisters):

And I duly apologise to anyone who has clicked any of the links, we can't help what we like now can we? :unsure:

Choosing albums for other people is as advisable as holding an allnighter on Morecambe Bay, but I can rarely resist a bit of Nick Hornbyism (to whom I once sold a Colin Blunstone album, incidentally), so here's one for each of the last 30 years (in the spirit of Chicago103):

1979 - Only Ones: Even Serpents Shine

1980 - Joy Divison: Closer

1981 - Eno/Byrne: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

1982 - Marshall Crenshaw: S/T

1983 - REM: Murmur

1984 - Replacements: Let it Be

1985 - Prefab Sprout: Steve McQueen

1986 - Smiths: Queen is Dead

1987 - Eric B & Rakim: Paid in Full

1988 - Pixies: Surfer Rosa

1989 - De La Soul: 3ft High & Rising

1990 - Mazzy Star: She Hangs Brightly

1991 - My Bloody Valentine: Loveless

1992 - Pavement: Slanted & Enchanted

1993 - Orbital: First Album (Green)

1994 - Portishead: Dummy

1995 - Teenage Fanclub: Grand Prix

1996 - Daft Punk: Homework

1997 - Spiritualized: Ladies & Gentlemen etc

1998 - Gillian Welch: Hell Among the Yearlings

1999 - Flaming Lips: The Soft Bulletin

2000 - Ryan Adams: Heartbreaker

2001 - Avalanches: Since I Left You

2002 - Brendan Benson - Lapalco

2003 - Outkast: Speakerboxx/Love Below

2004 - Go! Team: Thunder Lightning Strike

2005 - Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise

2006 - Midlake: The Trials of Van Occupanther

2007 - LCD Soundsystem: Sound of Silver

2008 - Fleet Foxes: S/T

There, that's about 29,000 songs.

Ten albums from the last thirty years that would delight an NY, Cohen rock/prog head, and I can't live without eh?

Well, Neil Young has turned out some winners and recent Dylan and late period Johnny Cash is also worth a listen but....

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs

Joy Division - Closer

Nirvana - Nevermind

The Orb - Orb's Adventures Beneath the Underworld

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See

PJ Harvey - White Chalk

Spiritualized - Laser Guided Melodies

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

Dinosaur Jr - Green Mind

Doves - Kingdom of Rust (bang up to date and f*****g brilliant)

Bubbling under -

The beauty of an iPod or similar is the way you can stuff it with a range of stuff including things you'd probably listen to once in a while. So it's also worth checking out

Napalm Death - Scum

and anything by Richard Cheese, the former is the blueprint for all thrash metal that followed, the latter is an artist who specialises in Sinatra style covers of rock anthems, often from extreme acts.

Ooo, lots of homework here. I like those Mono tracks, not sure about Napalm Death MPFC, might be able to live without that one. Heard of hardly any of HmcN's, will have to put the list before son for analysis.

Have just done a playlist from what I have:

Sex on fire - Kings of Leon

Perfect Day - Lou Reed

Slaughter on 10th Avenue - Mick Ronson

Love Me Tender - Elvis

Love is in the Air - Tom Jones

White Flag - Dido

If You Don't Know Me By Now - Marvin Gaye

Moulin Rouge - Aretha Franklin

While My Guitar Gently weeps - Eric Clapton

Let it Be - Beatles

No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley

Swing Low Sweet Chariot - Eric Clapton

Knockin on Heaven's Door - Eric Clapton

All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

House of the Rising Sun - Animals

Light My Fire - Doors

She's Not There - The Zombies

I Just Don't Know What to Do with Myself - White Stripes

You can't Hurry Love - The Supremes

Only the Lonely - Roy Orbison

Street Fighting Man - Rolling Stones

Everybody Hurts - REM

The Man Who Sold the World - Nirvana

Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

Here Comes the Rain Again - Eurythmics

Lady D'Arbanville - Cat Stevens

The Lily of the West - Mark Knopfler

I Will Find You - Clannad

She Will Find me - Dougie Maclean

Vincent - Don McLean

The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel

Mother and Child reunion - Paul Simon

I'll Sail This Ship Alone - Beautiful South

Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin

Mostly old stuff but nice for a long car journey. Forgot Dylan on original 10 album list, probably Blood on the Tracks instead of Sgt Pepper.

• Like 1