Death in Vegas

Time Added

Ray Tumbridge, a man capable of stopping Carlisle's Joe - the Flying Pig - Laidlaw and worthy of respect for that reason alone.
  • Like 1

This is a painful post but Derek Lacey, main football commentator on Carlisle United games for local radio, has died. The man enjoyed a following around the world, with many Cumbrians moving away in search of work his commentry was a regular Saturday fixture on their internet. By the same token, many Blues unable or unwilling to travel long distances to away games tuned in from Cumbria. His many 'character' moments will be long remembered, including his ecstatatic reaction to the Jimmy Glass goal and the times he gaffed, once famously losing his glasses for a couple of minutes and being reduced to asking others in the press box what was going on on the pitch. Had a few dealings with him in work for Radio Cumbria myself, and confirm the genial gent image he enjoyed was no front.

317523-13.jpg

John Hartson won't make 2010:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8151728.stm

Former Wales, Arsenal and Celtic striker John Hartson is in a critical condition after emergency neurosurgery on his brain.

On the weekend 34-year-old Hartson was diagnosed with testicular cancer which had already spread.

On Wednesday, doctors confirmed it was also present in his lungs.

The father-of-three had undergone surgery at Morriston Hospital in Swansea, after being transferred from the city's Singleton Hospital.

A hospital statement read: "He is currently being cared for by the critical care team at Morriston and is receiving round-the-clock care aiming to stabilise his condition.

"He will resume radiotherapy and chemotherapy as soon as possible."

That doesn't sound too good, he's not even on the list.

It does look very serious for Hartson, but it is worth remembering that Lance Armstrong managed to survive testicular cancer with secondaries to the lungs and brain. If he survives the surgery, he might just stand a chance of beating the disease.

On a positive note Ivor Broadis - aged 85 - recently received an award in Carlisle and is - apparently - much more sprightly and somewhat improved from his frail appearances a year or so back.

It does look very serious for Hartson, but it is worth remembering that Lance Armstrong managed to survive testicular cancer with secondaries to the lungs and brain. If he survives the surgery, he might just stand a chance of beating the disease.

I don't think Harston will go on to win the Tour de France 7 times in succession though...

Jimmy Connor former Scots international, may be alive, if you believe Wikipedia.

There are a few of these entries where dates of birth and notable achievements are known but the persons may be dead, and simply unreported.

Jimmy Connor former Scots international, may be alive, if you believe Wikipedia.

There are a few of these entries where dates of birth and notable achievements are known but the persons may be dead, and simply unreported.

I'm pretty certain he died in the 1980's. I did have a book about Scottish internationals, but I sold it a few years back, which I regret as it could help with things like this.

I am almost certain, though, that all the pre-war cup finallists are dead, as the last one, a chap who played for southampton died about a year ago.. just after their cup final win, if I recall correctly.

And I know I have him down as "deceased" in my internationals book.

I'm pretty certain he died in the 1980's. I did have a book about Scottish internationals, but I sold it a few years back, which I regret as it could help with things like this.

I am almost certain, though, that all the pre-war cup finallists are dead, as the last one, a chap who played for southampton died about a year ago.. just after their cup final win, if I recall correctly.

And I know I have him down as "deceased" in my internationals book.

Jimmy Connor is also listed as deceased by worldfootball.net. I'll updated Wiki eventually. I have a fairly sizable list of 90+ football players with unknown DODs, but I'll spare everyone here...

Former Oldham Athletic goalkeeper Gary Kelly is suffering from cancer. He's had an operation to remove part of his upper arm. He will also be undergoing more surgery soon.

Update on Gary Kelly's condition.

"It's a rare condition which has brutual outcomes. They don't know what causes it or why it grows and medical research are trying to find out more about it." And he added: "To look at me you would not think there was anything wrong, but underneath what is going on is frightening."

This one seems to have slipped through unnoticed...

Brian Mears, chairman of Chelsea FC in the 1960s and 70s, died on July 28th...

Clinton dies; thats Tommy Clinton, former Evertonian.

Aldershot Town chairman John McGinty is suffering from cancer, which has spread despite an intensive bout of chemotherapy.

Aldershot Town chairman John McGinty is suffering from cancer, which has spread despite an intensive bout of chemotherapy.

John McGinty Dies

Jack Charlton has collapsed on holiday in Spain, released from hospital with blood pressure medication.

Jack Charlton has collapsed on holiday in Spain, released from hospital with blood pressure medication.

Big Jack should take it easy, but knowing him, he'll probably go out fishing instead!

Get well soon Jack...

Link for Wor Jackie. Tests were 'inconclusive' so a braver individual than me might be tempted to punt on the forthcoming CPDP.

Hibs John 'Jock' Buchanan, scorer of the first European Cup goal on British soil, has died after a long illness, aged 74.

• Like 1