Death in Vegas

Time Added

14 minutes ago, Grande Pablo said:

Rumours on Villa chat rooms that club legend Charlie Aitken has passed.

Who to?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Grande Pablo said:

Rumours on Villa chat rooms that club legend Charlie Aitken has passed.

Confirmed.

• Like 1

Did anyone see the tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton on the Old Trafford pitch ahead of the Manchester derby today? The players who played with and against Charlton were in the photo from left to right Alex Stepney, Tony Book, Mike Summerbee, Pat Crerand, John Aston and Brian Kidd. Book looked extremely frail and several of the others were also struggling to walk. Stepney (who looks very good for 81) comfortably looked the healthiest to me. It should also be noted that sadly there was no sign of Denis Law. 

0_GettyImages-1763352795.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Did anyone see the tribute to Sir Bobby Charlton on the Old Trafford pitch ahead of the Manchester derby today? The players who played with and against Charlton were in the photo from left to right Alex Stepney, Tony Book, Mike Summerbee, Pat Crerand, John Aston and Brian Kidd. Book looked extremely frail and several of the others were also struggling to walk. Stepney (who looks very good for 81) comfortably looked the healthiest to me. It should also be noted that sadly there was no sign of Denis Law. 

0_GettyImages-1763352795.jpg

Aston looks in good shape - any form studying types could nip to Glossop and see if he's still running his pet store.

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aston looks in good shape - any form studying types could nip to Glossop and see if he's still running his pet store.

Not so good on his feet as Stepney. As you can see he's carrying a walking stick but based on this appearance he doesn't look in imminent danger. 

I note that Stepney, Kidd, Aston and Crerand are four of the five survivors of United's 1968 European Cup triumph. No sign of David Sadler, the fifth survivor. 

I also note that there are currently five surviving players from the Benfica team - Henrique, Calisto, Cruz, Augusto and Simoes. 

• Like 1

Tony Book is 89 so not so surprising he is quite frail. He is the oldest and earliest living FWA footballer of the year. Denis Law never won it. 

8 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

I note that Stepney, Kidd, Aston and Crerand are four of the five survivors of United's 1968 European Cup triumph. No sign of David Sadler, the fifth survivor. 

I also note that there are currently five surviving players from the Benfica team - Henrique, Calisto, Cruz, Augusto and Simoes. 

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/david-sadler-receives-division-one-title-winners-medal

David Sadler was given a delayed medal in August but at his home rather than at Old Trafford later that month where others and families of late players were given them. 

50 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Tony Book is 89 so not so surprising he is quite frail. He is the oldest and earliest living FWA footballer of the year. Denis Law never won it. 

89 is a very good age for an English footballer of his generation (of high profile post-war English players I can only recall Tom Finney living longer) and clearly he's still got his marbles which is a rarity in itself. Certainly been dealt a better hand than many of his contemporaries. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

A very good observation regarding Sadler 

So, I found this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/david-sadler-receives-division-one-title-winners-medal

Had to receive the medal at home and looks 10-15 years older than his 77 years. 

I'd have to say Sadler is in pole position over Aston and Crerand to go next.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

A very good observation regarding Sadler 

So, I found this https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/david-sadler-receives-division-one-title-winners-medal

Had to receive the medal at home and looks 10-15 years older than his 77 years. 

I'd have to say Sadler is in pole position over Aston and Crerand to go next.

So, this is him less than a decade ago, around the same time he was making erudite comments for the local paper about goings on in and around the first team at Manchester United. Decline has been very marked and he doesn't look like he's totally in touch with goings on in the more recent photo. Obviously defenders tend to head the ball way more than forward players and Sadler started playing in the era of heavy leather. 

ARC_0307994.jpg

• Like 1

René Exbrayat was born in Arles and died at the age of 75 on October 29, He played for Arles and Aix-en-Provence, appearing for the French amateur team at the Mediterranean Games.
He trained Arles, Beaucaire, Avignon,Bastia, Nîmes, Martigues, Le Havre, Club Africain, Servette and Al-Nasr Dubai.
He was also assistant coach at Rennes
https://www.corsematin.com/article/sports/13671659860303/rene-exbrayat-entraineur-de-bastia-de-1991-a-1993-est-decede

René Exbrayat nous a quittés

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

DDP pick for @time Ronnie Rees reportedly dead: https://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/2023/october/obituary-ronnie-rees-1944-2023/

Part of the sky blue revolution by Jimmy Hill at Coventry, also a Welsh international.

Thanks YW, - one of those picks which might end struggle for a QO, but still moves me above last year's score!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time said:

Thanks YW, - one of those picks which might end struggle for a QO, but still moves me above last year's score!

I think you will be ok for a QO - Welsh International for years, the stroke and in poor health for a while.

José Luis Dolgetta was born in Valencia, Carabobo and died in Guayaquil, Ecuador at the age of 53. He made 20 appearances for the Venezuelan national team, scoring six goals. Among the clubs he defended are Estudantes Mérida, Caracas, Atlético Zulia, Carabobo, Estudantes La Plata, he was also a coach, among the teams he coached is Deportivo Anzoátegui SC

He was top scorer in the Copa América in 93 (the top scorer in a more recent edition to die, before it was Roberto Dinamite, top scorer in 83). He also participated in the Copa América in 95, in the Venezuelan championship in 95-96 and 97-98

He is the only Venezuelan top scorer in the Copa América

https://meridiano.net/futbol/la-vinotinto/fallece-jose-luis-dolgetta-unico-goleador-venezolano-en-una-copa-america--2023103113100

Fallece José Luis Dolgetta, único goleador venezolano en una Copa América

Players who played more than couple of matches in the first division/Premier League or for clubs currently in the PL/have previously spent years in the top division nearly always Q/O somewhere 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Players who played more than couple of matches in the first division/Premier League or for clubs currently in the PL/have previously spent years in the top division nearly always Q/O somewhere 

You've made my point for me.

2 minutes ago, time said:

True. There have been some this year who have missed out on a Q/O but not that many. 

12 hours ago, time said:

Ronnie Rees QO.

From Nigel Pearson on Twitter following comments in Football Manager Sacking Bingo

image.png.6f3f4fea88decaf12a5073518f2dcbba.png

• Like 3