maryportfuncity

Widow(er) Shopping

A former congressman's wife who founded the National First Ladies' Library in Ohio has died. Mary Regula (REH'-gyoo-luh) was 91.

The Repository in Canton reports Regula died Thursday, eight months after her husband, former U.S. Rep. Ralph Regula, passed away in July at age 92.  Mary Regula was a former schoolteacher and avid campaigner for her husband, a Republican who was elected to 18 terms in the U.S. House.
SC

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2008 at 00:32, maryportfuncity said:

Doreen Blythe - aka Mrs Ernie Wise - is still going, not sure about Eric's other half. Doreen was a performer, though I don't think her dancing career would get her national obits. DDP fodder at best the Morcambe and Wise spouses, IMHO.

But another one springs to mind. Joy Beverley of The Beverley Sisters was - sort of - the Posh Spice of the mid fifties. 79 and still breathing! Mentioned elsewhere on the DL, but worth reviving here.

A single report but plausible of the death of Doreen Wise:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

A single report but plausible of the death of Doreen Wise:

Tweeted by a guy who died five years ago - nice one!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Tweeted by a guy who died five years ago - nice one!

Actually the description of the account says it's an archive run by others. But hey ho, it's out there and if she's dead, she's dead....

On 7/30/2007 at 18:29, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Scottish gangster Tam 'the Licensee' McGraw has been revoked.

Who can forget the Ice Cream Wars of 1984? Apart from me.

Widow Mags 'The Jeweller' follows a decade later, throat cancer, aged 66.

• Like 2

Did anyone mention Lucette Destouches ? Louis Ferdinand Celine's widow is now 106 and is known for being à great dancer back in her youth.

• Like 1

Death notice for Lady Ann Sykes, widow of Sir Richard Sykes: http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/224747/sykes-ann-georgina-(nee-fisher)

Sir Richard was a British diplomat assassinated by the Provisional Irish Republican Army in 1979. Lest we forget what divisions on the island of Ireland caused....

Anyway, both are mentioned on Wiki here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sykes_(diplomat)

Really not sure where to drop this.

One of San Antonio’s most iconic leaders, Edith McAllister, died Sunday of congestive heart failure.

McAllister, who lived to be 100, was a longtime philanthropist and volunteer.  She was San Antonio's first lady for five terms, as her husband served as mayor.

SC

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Really not sure where to drop this.

One of San Antonio’s most iconic leaders, Edith McAllister, died Sunday of congestive heart failure.

McAllister, who lived to be 100, was a longtime philanthropist and volunteer.  She was San Antonio's first lady for five terms, as her husband served as mayor.

SC

How about the philanthropists thread; which you started. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He really takes the piss all the time!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

How about the philanthropists thread; which you started. ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, redrumours said:

He really takes the piss all the time!!!!!

Nah, other than the title saying it, it never mentioned any charities she was involved in, just 'volunteer' work, and even then never mentioned where she volunteered.  So I dont' think it fit there.  It crossed my mind of course.

Edit: Sorry, meant to attach Cat's post.  Maybe Cat you should read the obit before posting.

Nice swerve, but I'm not buying.

• Thanks 1

Ntongani Lucia, the widow of legendary entertainer Safirio Madzikatire popularly known as Mukadota has died.

If that sentence means anything to you, I feel your pain.  Otherwise, you're looking at the entire story.  No age, no cause of death, no nothing.  
SC

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2015 at 14:12, gcreptile said:

Was looking for info on Nancy Sinatra and discovered that her mother, Nancy Barbato, Frank Sinatra's first wife, is still alive at 97:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Nancy-Sinatra-to-Discuss-Dads-Life-Career-on-CBS-SUNDAY-MORNING-329-20150327#

Nancy Barbato Sinatra dead at 101 as reported elsewhere: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nancy-sinatra-sr-dead-first-wife-frank-sinatra-was-101-1033652

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Just for the sake of being very fussy and finicky she isn't a widow but a first wife! Barbara Sinatra who died last year was the widow! 

23 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just for the sake of being very fussy and finicky she isn't a widow but a first wife! Barbara Sinatra who died last year was the widow! 

Aye, but on another point of pedantry, Nancy was a catholic and never remarried; I'm sure she classed herself a widow when Frank died.

5 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Aye, but on another point of pedantry, Nancy was a catholic and never remarried; I'm sure she classed herself a widow when Frank died.

Possibly yes! I know Sinatra had their marriage annulled or something when he married Barbara which caused a big problem with his family. 

3 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

For spouses of still-living celebrities the Family of Famous thread is more appropriate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

For spouses of still-living celebrities the Family of Famous thread is more appropriate.

Funny, that's usually where I post it.  Just got caught up in the whole Nancy Sinatra Sr. thing.  There it shall go.

• Like 1